Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The females were in the kitchen, the coloreds were in the back of the bus, and the gays were in the closet. What's not to like?

I was going to say something similar to what you said, but you beat me to it. Whenever I hear that ridiculous slogan of making America great again, it reminds me of this quote: "When Donald Trump says, 'Make America Great Again,' what time period is he talking about? A lot of people overlook that America's history has been built upon injustice against other racial groups, including Native American people." - Vanessa Bowen. And I've also asked to no avail, when has America ever been great?

• Agree
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And women kept their mouths shut about sexual abuse.

And if some women did have the courage to speak out, many of them were personally blamed for being raped. These women were shamed and even ostracized from their family and friends.

• Agree
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like there's nothing to do but sit around and complain?

Of course -- nothing in there from you -- just passing on other people's thoughts...

Ah, the 1950s... Cold War panic, McCarthyism, Jim Crow unopposed, shallow materialism as the cure for all ills... Good times, eh?

Sounds like brainwashing to me.
You almost got it TLK Valentine, it is not exactly brain washing _, you perceive it that way because limit yourself to the physical world as if that is all there is. . Our brain is physical, washing that does no good. It's our mind, will, emotions, which is the soul and our spirit that needs cleansing. Those are not physical. But yes, we are all like dirty rags that need to be cleansed, otherwise ...

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To Bhsmte, TLK and One voice,
What's so great about America 60 years ago?

Well, I'm 62 now. Let's see, diapers were made of cotton - they felt comfortable - eemm the rides in the stroller and no school yet ... just happy days - can't remember much else. :oldthumbsup:
No, seriously, life was simpler then. Families were stronger and much closer, people had a strong work ethic and no one expected free hand outs or welfare. People were more patriotic. Made in America meant it was made well and we were proud of it. We were more united as a country. Debts were minimal, no credit cards debts and so cash registers rang up cash only. (Americans spend 80 % more with cc then if they just used cash). National debt was under control, the American dream was a vision that most could see. Prayer in schools was foundational and gave us kids a sense that there is a God. Oh, there were only about 3 TV stations and they were free AND CLEAN. So, kids actually read books and went out and played sports, marbles or whatever, not like video game attacks who live in an alternate reality.
Not a perfect country - no such thing, but a great one. If we could all just focus on the basics, live simply ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You almost got it TLK Valentine, it is not exactly brain washing _, you perceive it that way because limit yourself to the physical world as if that is all there is. . Our brain is physical, washing that does no good. It's our mind, will, emotions, which is the soul and our spirit that needs cleansing. Those are not physical. But yes, we are all like dirty rags that need to be cleansed, otherwise ...

Would you prefer if I called it "mind washing"? Would it be easier to pretend there's a difference?

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No, seriously, life was simpler then.

And life was even simpler 60 years before that... why stop?

Families were stronger and much closer, people had a strong work ethic and no one expected free hand outs or welfare.

Remember the Great Depression?

great-depression-food-lines.jpg

People were more patriotic.

You were blacklisted if you weren't.

Made in America meant it was made well and we were proud of it.

At the time, America was the leader in manufactured goods.

Then a funny thing happened -- while we sat on our laurels and touted our greatness, the rest of the world caught up... and some of them surpassed us.

We were more united as a country. Debts were minimal, no credit cards debts and so cash registers rang up cash only. (Americans spend 80 % more with cc then if they just used cash).

Spending is what keeps the economy going... you are a consumer -- now consume!

National debt was under control, the American dream was a vision that most could see.

Wasn't it during Vietnam that the debt spiraled so badly that the government literally had to print more money just to pay for it?

Prayer in schools was foundational and gave us kids a sense that there is a God.

Again, you were blacklisted otherwise.

Oh, there were only about 3 TV stations and they were free AND CLEAN.

Indeed -- the government strictly regulated what you were allowed to see and hear.

Ah, to be controlled again...

So, kids actually read books and went out and played sports, marbles or whatever, not like video game attacks who live in an alternate reality.

Indeed -- computers and the Internet caused the problem... nice post on a discussion board.

Not a perfect country - no such thing, but a great one. If we could all just focus on the basics, live simply ...

I can only hope you've noticed by now, but many of the issues you now see are the inevitable result of world events and advancing technology. We invent new things; the world changes to incorporate them into our lives.

Invention is a genie that cannot be put back in the lamp. As much as you long for a simpler, smaller, less advanced time, I'm afraid that time is past.

Our country isn't perfect now... but time only moves in one direction, and that's the direction you should be looking in if you want to make things better.

• Winner
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To Bhsmte, TLK and One voice,
What's so great about America 60 years ago?

Well, I'm 62 now. Let's see, diapers were made of cotton - they felt comfortable - eemm the rides in the stroller and no school yet ... just happy days - can't remember much else. :oldthumbsup:
No, seriously, life was simpler then. Families were stronger and much closer, people had a strong work ethic and no one expected free hand outs or welfare. People were more patriotic. Made in America meant it was made well and we were proud of it. We were more united as a country. Debts were minimal, no credit cards debts and so cash registers rang up cash only. (Americans spend 80 % more with cc then if they just used cash). National debt was under control, the American dream was a vision that most could see. Prayer in schools was foundational and gave us kids a sense that there is a God. Oh, there were only about 3 TV stations and they were free AND CLEAN. So, kids actually read books and went out and played sports, marbles or whatever, not like video game attacks who live in an alternate reality.

In other words, people didnt question anything and just fell in line. Go to the back of the bus and just take it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In other words, people didnt question anything and just fell in line. Go to the back of the bus and just take it.

It's always the people in the front of the bus telling us how good we have it in the back...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would you prefer if I called it "mind washing"? Would it be easier to pretend there's a difference?
That's only part of it.
"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God" Romans 12:2
Paul, speaking to former unrighteous, evil doers: "And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the spirit of our God." 1 Cor. 6:11
(Rev. 1:5 "... washed us from our sins in his own blood,"

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And life was even simpler 60 years before that... why stop?

Remember the Great Depression?

great-depression-food-lines.jpg

You were blacklisted if you weren't.

At the time, America was the leader in manufactured goods.

Then a funny thing happened -- while we sat on our laurels and touted our greatness, the rest of the world caught up... and some of them surpassed us.

Spending is what keeps the economy going... you are a consumer -- now consume!

Wasn't it during Vietnam that the debt spiraled so badly that the government literally had to print more money just to pay for it?

Again, you were blacklisted otherwise.

Indeed -- the government strictly regulated what you were allowed to see and hear.

Ah, to be controlled again...

Indeed -- computers and the Internet caused the problem... nice post on a discussion board.

I can only hope you've noticed by now, but many of the issues you now see are the inevitable result of world events and advancing technology. We invent new things; the world changes to incorporate them into our lives.

Invention is a genie that cannot be put back in the lamp. As much as you long for a simpler, smaller, less advanced time, I'm afraid that time is past.

Our country isn't perfect now... but time only moves in one direction, and that's the direction you should be looking in if you want to make things better.

One thing really explains all this better than what I said, Mickey Mouse got an attitude and grew blades out of his fingers -- he got angry! Maybe Minnie cheated on him and ran away with another mouse after she aborted his baby or he lost his wealth when the Stock Market crashed, so he started watching inappropriate content on the internet -- I don't know ... something happened to Mickey. He became a victim and started blaming society and the country, started looking at history a different way, negatively, he even lost faith in God - but wasn't really sure if he ever had it to begin with.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's it, that's the big failure that wipes out everything else about America that you all cling to. That's it, nothing else matters, nothing else gives you joy. There's no happiness and life in general is just soooo either depressing or frustrating that it prevents you from enjoying and appreciating life because you can't forgive and forget, you can't stop focusing on the past and live in the present and look positively towards the future. No, you are stuck, rekindling the flame, rehearsing your miserable outlook, a miserable, civilization, these United States -- how dare we look back with pride and how dare we can even be thankful for everything because one dark part of our history made everything else dark. Your choice, stay stuck in the pit. So join the marches, revolt, get on the net or bow a knee for the National Anthem - soldiers died so you have that freedom to do so.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
One thing really explains all this better than what I said, Mickey Mouse got an attitude and grew blades out of his fingers -- he got angry! Maybe Minnie cheated on him and ran away with another mouse after she aborted his baby or he lost his wealth when the Stock Market crashed, so he started watching inappropriate content on the internet -- I don't know ... something happened to Mickey. He became a victim and started blaming society and the country, started looking at history a different way, negatively, he even lost faith in God - but wasn't really sure if he ever had it to begin with.

You might want to schedule a visit to the Optometrist... Mickey certainly doesn't look like a victim to me. He's always been a fighter.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's only part of it.
"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God" Romans 12:2
Paul, speaking to former unrighteous, evil doers: "And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the spirit of our God." 1 Cor. 6:11
(Rev. 1:5 "... washed us from our sins in his own blood,"

Brainwashing, then... rationalized with some poetic language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's it, that's the big failure that wipes out everything else about America that you all cling to. That's it, nothing else matters, nothing else gives you joy. There's no happiness and life in general is just soooo either depressing or frustrating that it prevents you from enjoying and appreciating life because you can't forgive and forget, you can't stop focusing on the past and live in the present and look positively towards the future. No, you are stuck, rekindling the flame, rehearsing your miserable outlook, a miserable, civilization, these United States -- how dare we look back with pride and how dare we can even be thankful for everything because one dark part of our history made everything else dark. Your choice, stay stuck in the pit. So join the marches, revolt, get on the net or bow a knee for the National Anthem - soldiers died so you have that freedom to do so.

Look back all you want -- but lacking a DeLorean and some plutonium, good luck going back.

Time goes in only one direction, friend. Get over it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brainwashing, then... rationalized with some poetic language.

Well, none of that biblical jargon really matters since America isn't a Christian nation and it never has been. However, I know that many traditional Christians have laid a moral claim to this country and apparently seem to feel entitled to the point where they think their Christian beliefs should be revered and unquestionably adhered by non-Christians. They also seem to think that they should have a legal right to discriminate against anyone they apparently feel is unworthy of the same rights and equality as they themselves enjoy. Well, considering America's history of perpetual racial violence, oppression of minorities, attempted genocide, massive land theft, and hundreds of broken treaties, it's actually laughable to think that anyone could believe that America is a Christian nation or was founded on Christian principles, let alone having been founded on freedom, liberty and justice for all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You might want to schedule a visit to the Optometrist... Mickey certainly doesn't look like a victim to me. He's always been a fighter.
Like wolverine, Mickey is angry, he's also smoking, who knows what other bad habits he has. Victims feel violated, they respond sometimes in fear but sometimes they are in the front lines of Black lives matter, Occupy Wall St., Antifa - talk about violent people.
That's OK Obamacare offers free therapy and whatever drugs he needs.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look back all you want -- but lacking a DeLorean and some plutonium, good luck going back.

Time goes in only one direction, friend. Get over it.
I never said we could, that's unrealistic. I was just reflecting on the greatness that America once had, the unity, the values, the simpler life and in many ways better than today.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, none of that biblical jargon really matters since America isn't a Christian nation and it never has been. However, I know that many traditional Christians have laid a moral claim to this country and apparently seem to feel entitled to the point where they think their Christian beliefs should be revered and unquestionably adhered by non-Christians. They also seem to think that they should have a legal right to discriminate against anyone they apparently feel is unworthy of the same rights and equality as they themselves enjoy. Well, considering America's history of perpetual racial violence, oppression of minorities, attempted genocide, massive land theft, and hundreds of broken treaties, it's actually laughable to think that anyone could believe that America is a Christian nation or was founded on Christian principles, let alone having been founded on freedom, liberty and justice for all.
God gave the English settlers who almost all happened to be Christian this land called the USA. Through our history empires conquered territories usually by force, expanding their empires and the winners of the wars took the spoils. Those who opposed it either eventually accepted it, were killed or they fleed to other territories.
We don't own anything, God owns all and He gives us stewardship to care for His planet. He told the Israelites to kill all the tribes who occupied the Promise land. Was that fair?
Take that up with Him. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." When in the USA, especially after many generations, ASSIMILATE. Those who do, fair well, those who rebel, end up fighting a war they can't win and end up unhappy, discontent victims of the system.
Frankly, all these worldly things you seem to feel were ripped off, are temporal and will pass, you need to concern yourself with eternal life, offered freely AND you don't even have to fight for it or work for it, it's a gift - just believe and receive it.

Upvote 0