A personal request to all who are willing and able...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fire Rises

Via, Veritas, Vita
Jul 19, 2012
United States
✟9,418.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a local christian radio station that one of my friends works on as a commentator. He shared this story with me one morning.

Chris Baker is a tattoo artist, something that many Christians would turn their noses up at and consider "questionable". Indeed, his arms are literally adorned with entire "sleeves" of ink. It's what he's devoted his life to.

Then Chris met Christ.

Chris became the leader of a local youth group, who have devoted themselves to cleaning up the streets of their broken city by any and all means available to them.

"...they came up with the idea to paint artistic murals over the walls of buildings defaced by gang graffiti. That idea set in motion the answer to the prayer Chris had been praying since he had discovered faith in Jesus as an adult, "God, show me what I can do to serve and bless people."

Chris realized gang markings went beyond graffiti on buildings; gangs relied on body-altering tattoos to signify everything from allegiance to the gang hierarchy to keeping tallies of violent criminal activity. He realized his greatest artistic love, tattoos, was to become his ministry calling, covering up the markings of dark and destructive lifestyles with beautiful works of art. INK 180 was born.

It was during a meeting with Homeland Security's gang division that Chris was invited to discuss his ministry with another unit, the human trafficking operations. Suddenly, Chris was invited into a horrific underground world few see clearly in the United States.

Hundreds of young women, many of whom are domestic victims & runaways, held captive by organized crime, gangs, drug dealers. By lies, abuse and threats they are forced into human trafficking and are typically tattooed by their captors so they can be tracked back and returned to their 'owners.' Chris covers up their vile markings.
Chris has covered hundreds of tattoos since he began in October of 2011. Chris provides his time, supplies, artwork, entirely free of charge. <staff edit> beautiful second chances are totally free, already paid in full by the One who paid it all."

What I DO ask of you is simply prayers for this fellow brother in Christ, whom I truly want to succeed and be a shining example for those who have been captives and victims of cruel and evil men, protecting them from being found by their captors a second time, showing them the love of Jesus and offering them hope and compassion from our Father.

Also, if you want to send him a letter of encouragement, advice or a written prayer, I can give you his address for that purpose as well.

Blessings to you all :)

Last edited:

Angelfrog

Rock, paper, JESUS! I win!
Oct 22, 2009
Sitting on a cloud in England.
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What a fantastic ministry! Each tattoo he creates must be like a little parable on how God changes the ugly things of our past into something beautiful and new.

I bet that it makes such a difference to those who have had to live with permanent reminders of such awful backgrounds on their bodies.
Praying for blessings on Chris and Ink180.

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear brother: The Fire Rises

I don't know if I would give as I have to ask DAD about that.
But does this brother have a website, to his calling?

The scripture that comes to me is this:

I have become all things to all men in order to win them. 1 Corinthians 9:22

Praise the LORD!

-eric

the-exchanged-life.blogspot.com/

Upvote 0

COG2013

Nov 5, 2012
Quartz Hill, Ca, USA
✟15,984.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit>

There is a local christian radio station that one of my friends works on as a commentator. He shared this story with me one morning.

Chris Baker is a tattoo artist, something that many Christians would turn their noses up at and consider "questionable". Indeed, his arms are literally adorned with entire "sleeves" of ink. It's what he's devoted his life to.

Then Chris met Christ.

Chris became the leader of a local youth group, who have devoted themselves to cleaning up the streets of their broken city by any and all means available to them.

"...they came up with the idea to paint artistic murals over the walls of buildings defaced by gang graffiti. That idea set in motion the answer to the prayer Chris had been praying since he had discovered faith in Jesus as an adult, "God, show me what I can do to serve and bless people."

Chris realized gang markings went beyond graffiti on buildings; gangs relied on body-altering tattoos to signify everything from allegiance to the gang hierarchy to keeping tallies of violent criminal activity. He realized his greatest artistic love, tattoos, was to become his ministry calling, covering up the markings of dark and destructive lifestyles with beautiful works of art. INK 180 was born.

It was during a meeting with Homeland Security's gang division that Chris was invited to discuss his ministry with another unit, the human trafficking operations. Suddenly, Chris was invited into a horrific underground world few see clearly in the United States.

Hundreds of young women, many of whom are domestic victims & runaways, held captive by organized crime, gangs, drug dealers. By lies, abuse and threats they are forced into human trafficking and are typically tattooed by their captors so they can be tracked back and returned to their 'owners.' Chris covers up their vile markings.
Chris has covered hundreds of tattoos since he began in October of 2011. Chris provides his time, supplies, artwork, entirely free of charge. <staff edit> beautiful second chances are totally free, already paid in full by the One who paid it all."

<staff edit> What I DO ask of you is simply prayers for this fellow brother in Christ, whom I truly want to succeed and be a shining example for those who have been captives and victims of cruel and evil men, protecting them from being found by their captors a second time, showing them the love of Jesus and offering them hope and compassion from our Father.

Also, if you want to send him a letter of encouragement, advice or a written prayer, I can give you his address for that purpose as well.

Blessings to you all :)

This is beautiful - Thank you for posting it. I can't help right now, but soon will be able to. This is something I would like to invest in to turn it into a national program covering all major cities. They will be hearing from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

The Fire Rises

Via, Veritas, Vita
Jul 19, 2012
United States
✟9,418.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
<staff edit>

They are generally in the lower class, below the poverty line and can not afford tattoo cover-ups. Having their "mark" hidden is really the only way to protect them from their former owners who are no doubt looking for their run-away "products".

The dark underworld of sex slaves and human traffickers is one that society, by and large, turns a blind eye at. It's not covered in the media or advocated by very many groups. Homeland security can only do so much.

I feel that this is an issue that we cannot afford to ignore. I am not advocating taking phsyical action against trafficking cartels - leave that to the police and the FBI. No, I am merely talking about helping the victims know that there IS someone in this world that loves them, and that they have a Father who knows what is best for them. They need to know that there is more to this life than pain and captivity.

This man, Chris, is just the beginning. There is no limit of what the Body of Christ can do when we set our minds to the tasks.

An excellent group known as Love146 may be a good place to start for any who are interested in this. (If you're wondering what 146 stands for, their website explains it but I must warn you that parts of the tragic story ARE graphic in nature)

Keep Chris and Co. in your prayers, and feel free to send him any letters of encouragement. All you have to do is message me and I'll send you the contact info.

Blessings all

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.