Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
“To my white brothers and sisters in the Lord, please hear me on this.

Contrary to the narrative that is being propagated by some white evangelical social justicians in the wake of the death of George Floyd in Minnesota, I, for one, do not carry around with me the "burden of hundreds of years of slavery in America" nor do I blame you or any of your ancestors for it. In fact, many of my own ancestors were slave owners and slave traders who, were it not for them, slavery, as an institution in America, would not have been as pervasive as it was.

The existence of slavery, not only in America but in the world, is owing to one thing—the innate sinfulness of mankind (see Romans 3:23). But all that is secondary to the larger point I want to make—and if this doesn't apply to you, please feel free to ignore and disregard my comments—but I am asking you, in the spirit of Ephesians 4:15 (speaking the truth in love), to please stop taking opportunities like the death of George Floyd to virtue signal to black people as if we are a tribe. Needless to say, we are not. Like you, every black person is uniquely created in the image of God (see Genesis 1:27; 5:1).

That black people happen to have shared a common shade of melanin with George Floyd, doesn't mean we all are viewing the circumstances of his death in such a way as to process what happened to him through the lens of slavery. Trust me, it is not helpful when white people, however well-intended, lump all black people together monolithically as collective mourners over a particular incident solely on the basis that the color of our skin is the same as the victim.

What we all should grieve is that an image-bearer of God was murdered, not that a black image-bearer of God was murdered. That's not grieving, my brothers and sisters, that's virtue signaling, and I can see right through it.”

Darrell B. Harrison

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,879.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Trust me, it is not helpful when white people, however well-intended, lump all black people together monolithically as collective mourners over a particular incident solely on the basis that the color of our skin is the same as the victim.
If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon. - Barack Obama
:sigh:

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What we all should grieve is that an image-bearer of God was murdered, not that a black image-bearer of God was murdered

This doesn't make a lot of sense. We should mourn Jesus, but just shrug and walk away when someone else is killed?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This doesn't make a lot of sense. We should mourn Jesus, but just shrug and walk away when someone else is killed?
Read it again.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m quite sure it means that humanity under Christ is not assigned different roles according to race, sex or standing in the world, so to act as if it is is to ignore the truth that is in Christ. So to use an inequality not found in Christ to justify destruction of other’s property and throw dirt at another set of people, including and excluding, is frankly just losing ground. I think that’s obvious from a Christian standpoint but from the worldly standpoint it’s still about an organized destruction that would use any excuse to retaliate against the helplessness of the plague and feel powerful again. Sad when even Canadians are getting into the act.

• Agree
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

How did you derive that from his post? :scratch:

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A shame most of my white Christian friends on Facebook don't get this. I trust that once they see pictures of all of the burning buildings and looted businesses, they'll realize it's meaningless to pretend to care about racism.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Contrary to the narrative that is being propagated by some white evangelical social justicians in the wake of the death of George Floyd in Minnesota, I, for one, do not carry around with me the "burden of hundreds of years of slavery in America" nor do I blame you or any of your ancestors for it. In fact, many of my own ancestors were slave owners and slave traders who, were it not for them, slavery, as an institution in America, would not have been as pervasive as it was.

The existence of slavery, not only in America but in the world, is owing to one thing—the innate sinfulness of mankind (see Romans 3:23). But all that is secondary to the larger point I want to make—and if this doesn't apply to you, please feel free to ignore and disregard my comments—but I am asking you, in the spirit of Ephesians 4:15 (speaking the truth in love), to please stop taking opportunities like the death of George Floyd to virtue signal to black people as if we are a tribe. Needless to say, we are not. Like you, every black person is uniquely created in the image of God (see Genesis 1:27; 5:1).

That black people happen to have shared a common shade of melanin with George Floyd, doesn't mean we all are viewing the circumstances of his death in such a way as to process what happened to him through the lens of slavery. Trust me, it is not helpful when white people, however well-intended, lump all black people together monolithically as collective mourners over a particular incident solely on the basis that the color of our skin is the same as the victim.

What we all should grieve is that an image-bearer of God was murdered, not that a black image-bearer of God was murdered. That's not grieving, my brothers and sisters, that's virtue signaling, and I can see right through it.”

Darrell B. Harrison

This is a basic good step in the right direction, for those not yet doing it.

But it's not the last step.

There really is a widespread racism, and there really are police officers that abuse their power, and black people lately really do have legitimate reasons to demand change, on the basis of race.

All of the above -- they are not only a skin color. Everyone is unique. We are all unique children of God. Our skin color doesn't define any of us. And there really is a true need for real change in the U.S. though still about racism.

All of the above.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Virtue-signaling liberals who claim to speak for minority interests. They typically can't get over themselves.

Who are you talking about?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This is a basic good step in the right direction, for those not yet doing it.

But it's not the last step.

There really is a widespread racism, and there really are police officers that abuse their power, and black people lately really do have legitimate reasons to demand change, on the basis of race.

All of the above -- they are not only a skin color. Everyone is unique. We are all unique children of God. Our skin color doesn't define any of us. And there really is a true need for real change in the U.S. though still about racism.

All of the above.
Racism is a social construct. Scripture doesn’t recognize race. It does recognize ethnicity. And in this case, what we know is that one man murdered another. That’s all we know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The same people that the letter you posted originally addressed.
You may need to start from the beginning. I can’t piece together what your point is.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Darrell B. Harrison

The important thing seems to me to be that us believers identify ourselves as Israel and dismiss all other ethnic, racial, and maybe even national labels.

Also, there is no reason to divide around money either:

James 1:9
"9The brother in humble circumstances should exult in his high position. 10But the one who is rich should exult in his low position, because he will pass away like a flower of the field."

Isaiah 60
"5Then you will look and be radiant, and your heart will tremble and rejoice, because the riches of the sea will be brought to you, and the wealth of the nations will come to you."

Israel is not a gentile nation.

Upvote 0