Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
One of the most simple definitions of a Christian is affirmation of the Nicene Creed, but there is no equivalent for the morality which goes along with Christianity, which is surely just as integral to the faith as the things affirmed in the Nicene Creed. So, what are some points of necessary morality to be a Christian? I think the main three things are (that is, of the things which distinguish Christians from pop secular morality), are the belief the fornication is a serious sin, the belief that same-sex marriage is unethical, and the belief that abortion is murder.

There is of course a lot more to Christian morality (Scripture talks extensively about morality, after all), but once again, I'm focusing on things that define Christian morality as distinct from common secular morality.

Everyone, feel free to add more items.

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is simple.
You are correct in assuming that a belief system in and of itself does nothing for a person. It is a starting point, but attaining oneness with Christ does have a moral code tied directly to it. It is the LAW that the law people speak of. It is the being "perfect" that we are told to be. It is the freedom from the chains of sin in our lives we are told is there for us.
It is THE peace, THE love, The Joy that we are promised. It is the health and contentment we see in our future.

It is eternal life.

What does it look like?

Love the Lord your God with all your mind heart and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. That's it.

If every thought, every action, every motive pleases God (He will tell you) then you will become Blameless. If you look for the good in people and focus on that, you will not judge. Always be courteous and kind. Hellp those in need. Stop feeding your own stomach and ego and focus on others.
This is really what the gospel is. Its not a list of beliefs. It is what the earliest believers called "The Way".
As far as all the piddly stuff (don't touch this, don't eat that, don't listen to this and such....) read Colossians 2.
That should settle that.

Bless up!

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is of course a lot more to Christian morality (Scripture talks extensively about morality, after all), but once again, I'm focusing on things that define Christian morality as distinct from common secular morality.
I think "secular morality" has a high tolerance of lying.

There is a wide difference between liberal Christians and conservative Christians even on fornication, homosexuality and abortion.

There is also some difference of opinion on what Jesus meant by the list He gave in Mark 7:21-23

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I think "secular morality" has a high tolerance of lying.

There is a wide difference between liberal Christians and conservative Christians even on fornication, homosexuality and abortion.

There is also some difference of opinion on what Jesus meant by the list He gave in Mark 7:21-23
The thing is, "liberal Christian morality", as far as I can tell, is not Christian morality, it's heathen morality. Once you move too far from Christian morality, it disqualifies you from being a Christian for the same reason moving too far from Christian theology does. Mormons aren't really Christians because they've adopted heathen theology, and liberal Christians aren't really Christians because they've adopted heathen morality. This is why I think there should be some barebones confession for Christian morality that's equivalent to what the Nicene Creed is for Christian theology.

Reactions: Thursday
Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I would love to see such a list, I could use it to tear down denominationalism.
There are going to be moral differences, just like there are theological differences, but I do think it would be valuable in establishing a basic Christian solidarity and moral criterion for the faith, as opposed to the current trend of morality being as increasingly irreverent factor in a person qualifying as a Christian.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are going to be moral differences, just like there are theological differences, but I do think it would be valuable in establishing a basic Christian solidarity and moral criterion for the faith, as opposed to the current trend of morality being as increasingly irreverent factor in a person qualifying as a Christian.

I believe that it might only strengthen the problem you mention. Sure it might help define marriage and things like that, but would Christians still be divided over politics? Would they still teach prosperity doctrine? I believe those things do much more damage to the Church, but no one is willing to say so.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe that it might only strengthen the problem you mention. Sure it might help define marriage and things like that, but would Christians still be divided over politics? Would they still teach prosperity doctrine? I believe those things do much more damage to the Church, but no one is willing to say so.
There might be division, but instead of the division of Christian vs. Christian, it would simply be one of Christian vs. non-Christian, which is preferable.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There might be division, but instead of the division of Christian vs. Christian, it would simply be one of Christian vs. non-Christian, which is preferable.

There would still be division. The church would be divided over politics and denominations. That's just as bad as any other division because it hurts the gospel, fails to glorify God, and promotes the flesh rather than spirit. In my opinion.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
There would still be division. The church would be divided over politics and denominations. That's just as bad as any other division because it hurts the gospel, fails to glorify God, and promotes the flesh rather than spirit. In my opinion.

Matthew 5:30

Matthew 18:17

2 Thessalonians 3:6

1 Corinthians 5:11

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 5:30

Matthew 18:17

2 Thessalonians 3:6

1 Corinthians 5:11

There is a problem with those scriptures though. They are only relevant if the Church says they are relevant. I have yet to hear any Church rebuke its members for division over politics. Of course that's because they don't listen to the stuff that their members say outside Sunday morning services. They don't listen to the political forums on CF for example.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
There is a problem with those scriptures though. They are only relevant if the Church says they are relevant. I have yet to hear any Church rebuke its members for division over politics. Of course that's because they don't listen to the stuff that their members say outside Sunday morning services. They don't listen to the political forums on CF for example.
We're talking fundamentally about what morals you belief in, don't you think that's as fundamental to Christianity as the theology you subscribe to? Should we start seeing Mormons as Christians in the name of unity? Well liberal Christianity is to Christian morality as Mormon theology is to Christian theology.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I would have thought the absolutely necessary starting point would be "no idolatry." No explicit worship of any other, and no putting anything before God in your priorities.
I think that's covered by the Nicene Creed.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We're talking fundamentally about what morals you belief in, don't you think that's as fundamental to Christianity as the theology you subscribe to? Should we start seeing Mormons as Christians in the name of unity? Well liberal Christianity is to Christian morality as Mormon theology is to Christian theology.

Im not saying we should rationalize/moralize anything that is wrong or immoral just for the sake of unity. To the contrary. The Apostle Paul seems to categorize division and "railing" (mentioned in your previous scripture) with fornication and adultery. They are all works of flesh, and unholy, unspiritual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Im not saying we should rationalize/moralize anything that is wrong or immoral just for the sake of unity. To the contrary. The Apostle Paul seems to categorize division and "railing" (mentioned in your previous scripture) with fornication and adultery. They are all works of flesh, and unholy, unspiritual.
Hence any responsibility for division lies with this who refuse to consider these immoral, not with those who affirm that belief these are immoral is a belief as fundamental to Christianity as the belief Christ rose from the dead.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hence any responsibility for division lies with this who refuse to consider these immoral, not with those who affirm that belief these are immoral is a belief as fundamental to Christianity as the belief Christ rose from the dead.

Yes, but do you think that the Church will ever agree that division over politics is an immoral work of flesh? The Church leaders themselves promote this behavior. Politics behind the pulpit is common in every Church.

Anything in this scripture sound like politics to you?

Ga 5:19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm amazed that most people don't see how ungodly, disrupting and destructive politics in are. They are an abomination I believe. In all my posting I see a few people who agree with me on this, but I see many more who don't. To them works of flesh are just things like fornication, stealing and lying. They believe that theological and political debating is a good thing. Debate itself is another work of flesh. Sure debate is useful but not like we see here. People more often than not never learn anything from these debates. Most people never change their mind and they keep arguing to no end.

Debate is only useful if it has a logical outcome, but to argue to no end is just a work of flesh. Its discord, dissension, division, and belong to factions, not a body of Christ. We are suppose to be different than the world, but instead we are just like them. This is because our teachers have failed in their roles as teachers.

Speaking of teachers. That's what a politician is. Politicians lead us and teach us just as any church leader would. We imitate them, recite their rhetoric, follow their ideas.

Look at this scripture and tell me if it sounds like what we see here.

2 Timothy 2:14 Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look at this scripture and tell me if it sounds like what we see here.
2 Timothy 2:14 Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen.

I think the key word is "quarrelling". Paul gives an indication of what he is speaking of here: "I am afraid that I will find quarreling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, slander, gossip, arrogance, and disorderly behaviour." (2 Corinthians 12:20).

Upvote 0