A New Martin Luther King Jr. Parade Divides a Virginia Town

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
A New Martin Luther King Jr. Parade Divides a Virginia Town
For years, the weekend leading up to the observance of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday has been overshadowed here by a celebration and a parade honoring two Confederate generals whose birthdays fall within days of the civil rights icon’s: Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson.

But this year, a group seeking to march in honor of King obtained the sole permit available on Saturday, the day that a Lee-Jackson parade is typically held.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Interesting article. Reminds of when I lived in Philadelphia PA and a certain public housing complex was scheduled to be named after the famous Puerto Rican educator De Hostos and the African American community immediately rose up in opposition and publicly demonstrated until the plan had to be abandoned. But it's good to see that in this case everything was just fine.

Eugenio María de Hostos

Portrait by Francisco Oller

Born
Eugenio María de Hostos y de Bonilla
January 11, 1839
Mayagüez, Puerto Rico
Eugenio María de Hostos - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting article. Reminds of when I lived in Philadelphia PA and a certain public housing complex was scheduled to be named after the famous Puerto Rican famous educator De Hostos and the African American community immediately rose up in opposition and publicly demonstrated until the plan had to be abandoned. But it's good to see that in this case everything was just fine.

Eugenio María de Hostos

Portrait by Francisco Oller

Born
Eugenio María de Hostos y de Bonilla
January 11, 1839
Mayagüez, Puerto Rico
Eugenio María de Hostos - Wikipedia

I lived in Philly for two years and the Philly suburbs (Haddonfield NJ) for many years.

I can attest that it's one of the most corrupt cities in the country and that race relations are not good at all.

Remember, this is the same city where black mayor, John Street, was elected fired all of the white people, including a very popular and effective police chief, to install black officials and declared "The brothers are running this city now!"

And, of course, "The 'brothers'" ran it into the ground.

When I first moved to Philly Frank Rizzo was mayor. Philly was poor and had its bad neighborhoods but we could walk ost place in South Philly and Center City without our lives being in danger

Our thing was to go to the Phillies' game and then ride up to South Street to have a drink and walk around and just watch the people. Not today Now when the last pitch is thrown we get in our car and hightail it back to Jersey.

If you ever want to strike terror into the hearts of people in Philly particularly around South Street and Rittenhouse Square just say the words "Greek Picnic".

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I lived in Philly for two years and the Philly suburbs (Haddonfield NJ) for many years.

I can attest that it's one of the most corrupt cities in the country and that race relations are not good at all.

Remember, this is the same city where black mayor, John Street, was elected fired all of the white people, including a very popular and effective police chief, to install black officials and declared "The brothers are running this city now!"

And, of course, "The 'brothers'" ran it into the ground.

When I first moved to Philly Frank Rizzo was mayor. Philly was poor and had its bad neighborhoods but we could walk ost place in South Philly and Center City without our lives being in danger

Our thing was to go to the Phillies' game and then ride up to South Street to have a drink and walk around and just watch the people. Not today Now when the last pitch is thrown we get in our car and hightail it back to Jersey.

If you ever want to strike terror into the hearts of people in Philly particularly around South Street and Rittenhouse Square just say the words "Greek Picnic".

How exactly was it run into the ground? What is Greek Picnic? I was there only for approx. two years. From age 26 to age 28. around 1972. Rizzo does ring a bell. I remember something about lie detector tests involving a high official who was refusing to take one.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The ironic thing is that if MLK was alive today blacks would call him an Uncle Tom.

Imagine judging people by their character and not by the color of their skin. If we don't judge people by the color of their skin then how will we know what victim group to place them in.
Yes, there is definitely a discrepancy between what he taught and the general attitude of evaluating people via race you mention as prevalent today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
"Why is equality so assiduously avoided? Why does white America delude itself, and how does it rationalize the evil it retains?

The majority of white Americans consider themselves sincerely committed to justice for the Negro. They believe that American society is essentially hospitable to fair play and to steady growth toward a middle-class Utopia embodying racial harmony. But unfortunately this is a fantasy of self-deception and comfortable vanity."

Where Do We Go From Here, 1967

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
"I contend that the cry of 'Black Power' is, at bottom, a reaction to the reluctance of white power to make the kind of changes necessary to make justice a reality for the Negro. I think that we've got to see that a riot is the language of the unheard. And, what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the economic plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years."

— 60 Minutes Interview, 1966

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear?...It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity."

— "The Other America," 1968

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
"Whites, it must frankly be said, are not putting in a similar mass effort to reeducate themselves out of their racial ignorance. It is an aspect of their sense of superiority that the white people of America believe they have so little to learn. The reality of substantial investment to assist Negroes into the twentieth century, adjusting to Negro neighbors and genuine school integration, is still a nightmare for all too many white Americans…These are the deepest causes for contemporary abrasions between the races. Loose and easy language about equality, resonant resolutions about brotherhood fall pleasantly on the ear, but for the Negro there is a credibility gap he cannot overlook. He remembers that with each modest advance the white population promptly raises the argument that the Negro has come far enough. Each step forward accents an ever-present tendency to backlash."

Where Do We Go From Here, 1967

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

Letter From a Birmingham Jail, 1963

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
MLK would not be called Uncle Tom, you are simply deluding yourself in order to attack African Americans.
Actually, he even spent some time in jail because of his defiance of Jim Crow. It took courage to do what he did. So I agree that the term Uncle Tom doesn't apply.

Upvote 0