Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Simply put, my heart's just not into singing or listening to Christian music (or most kinds of music for that matter, especially ones with words). I do think that not having grown up in the church has made it harder for me to get into it, especially when it sounds, forgive me for saying this, "cringe worthy". I know my lack of interest is considered a personal blasphemy to those who need the radio blasting 24/7 or are actively part of the church music team, but at least understand the spirit of what I'm saying, even if you wholeheartedly disagree.

This frustration of mine ranges from contemporary stuff to the classic hymns. What's supposed to be "soul stirring" keeps me indifferent. I'm not completely "broken", however, since there are a few songs out there I like ("Sometimes by Step" by Rich Mullins, for example). Everybody has different interests and tastes, blah blah blah. I get that.

Still, I do my best to try to "get into it" by not skipping the music portion of the service altogether. I'll even sing along unenthusiastically 90% of the time (but I won't do the whole closing my eyes, mumbling to myself, waving my arm in the air stuff that many people do). All my attempts at being involved in this, however, come off as an obligation and not a willingness to worship. I can speak to God with words without necessitating sick drum beats, repeating a chorus 500 times in a row, or blaring a Whitney Houston-esque rendition of Amazing Grace.

I don't know. Maybe I'm coming off as bitter regarding this, but I'm torn between believing that I can worship God in other ways (prayer, ministry, etc.) or that I'm sinning and/or doing myself a spiritual disservice by not wanting to participate in pretty much one of the few aspects of going to church that remains difficult for me. My understanding of bible verses regarding singing implies to me that it is one of many scriptural ways to worship, not a required way to worship. Any advice or input is appreciated.

Last edited:

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Simply put, my heart's just not into singing or listening to Christian music (or most kinds of music for that matter, especially ones with words). I do think that not having grown up in the church has made it harder for me to get into it, especially when it sounds, forgive me for saying this, "cringe worthy". I know my lack of interest is considered a personal blasphemy to those who need the radio blasting 24/7 or are actively part of the church music team, but at least understand the spirit of what I'm saying, even if you wholeheartedly disagree.

This frustration of mine ranges from contemporary stuff to the classic hymns. What's supposed to be "soul stirring" keeps me indifferent. I'm not completely "broken", however, since there are a few songs out there I like ("Sometimes by Step" by Rich Mullins, for example). Everybody has different interests and tastes, blah blah blah. I get that.

Still, I do my best to try to "get into it" by not skipping the music portion of the service altogether. I'll even sing along unenthusiastically 90% of the time (but I won't do the whole closing my eyes, mumbling to myself, waving my arm in the air stuff that many people do). All my attempts at being involved in this, however, come off as an obligation and not a willingness to worship. I can speak to God with words without necessitating sick drum beats, repeating a chorus 500 times in a row, or blaring a Whitney Houston-esque rendition of Amazing Grace.

I don't know. Maybe I'm coming off as bitter regarding this, but I'm torn between believing that I can worship God in other ways (prayer, ministry, etc.) or that I'm sinning and/or doing myself a spiritual disservice by not wanting to participate in pretty much one of the few aspects of going to church that remains difficult for me. My understanding of bible verses regarding singing implies to me that it is one of many scriptural ways to worship, not a required way to worship. Any advice or input is appreciated.

I used to attend services. God has not called me back to that scripted system.
Even my closest Christian friends feel much more in tune with God in our
outside bible studies and even short chats.

• Prayers
Reactions: AKWarrior
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not a fan of CCM myself. I've given the local Christian radio station multiple chances, hit has failed every time. Some of the secular music that makes me change the station the fastest is musically similar, without God's word in it to redeem it.

When I'm in church, I sing when I can agree with the lyrics. I can't agree with all of them, since a good portion of them are about the songwriter's emotional state or personal way of viewing God that doesn't match up with mine. The songs I can sing though, are definitely more worshipful when I'm having my own time with God when I am going about my day than in church. But if I wasn't singing in church, I wouldn't have that to lay before God during my devotions.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Maybe its not you, maybe its the church you are part of and your spirit is actually suffering. Even though I do respect old hymns (Love Rich Mullins, havenyou watched the movie?), I believe many churches are stuck in an old revelation. In the last 5 years our worship at church changed a lot. The Pastor said he didn't like it at first, but realized the need to be updated. That opened the opportunity for older generations and new generations to come together and receive from the Lord and “sing a new song”. The lyrics are fantastic because we are singing Truth.

I tend to get distracted easily so I close my eyes during worship, it helps. I also sit in front so the people from the back doesn't distract me. Sometimes His presence is so tangible the time during worship feels like 5 minutes instead of 30. I always crave for more.

In my case I love rock. I was really happy when new christian rock bands started to come out. I also like spontaneous worship music. That’s when the team listens to the Holy Spirit and they start singing what they hear but the whole team just flows in an amazing way. I loveeee it because even though I don’t have any musical gifts, I do love singing my prayers and declaring what I hear (bringing heaven to earth). Bethel Church in Redding CA have a great worship team that sings spontaneous songs often.

❤️

Upvote 0

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟58,002.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What's your take on this?
Jesus Loves Electro - Lift (Original Mix)

For me i like their work a lot, maybe you would too?

p.s: i don't believe that one sins by not worshiping God through music, every person has their own interests, someone feels rest through music, and some strange people like me find mental stimulation in sirens. (at certain moments, not always)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We';re supposed to love Jesus Christ and one another, nobody said we have to love the music . God did say to sing songs and psalms and make music but that isn't about your salvation. I like many christian songs and I don't care for others. Meanwhile I record piano pieces ( solos, no singing ) for my pastor friends tv broadcasts on local tv. Hopefully that music is not grating on someone LOL ( it's just music from my heart, prayerfully God inspired but it is not Christian as in someone elses) !

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Worship is about operating in spirit and truth. It’s not necessarily music. So no it’s not a requirement to love music. However it is a natural response to make a joyful noise, to praise because of the message behind it.It may be through speech, through actions, through expressions. Basically through a positive reaction. It’s usually easily provoke with melodies and dancing because of its involvement with the body.

So I guess the conflict here is not about why you’re not enjoying the music, but more of how you are relating to the message in these songs and why your instant reaction is negative or to repel. When I wasn’t enjoying a song it was more because it was I couldn’t relate to it, so the music to express that felt like noise. It’s only when I’ve meditate on it and went through my experiences did that same song take on a different meaning despite how I felt about the melodies.

Idk maybe it is just the type of genre, which then it could be fix with researching other type of genres within the Christian realm. But if you just have a negative reaction across the board, it would help to reflect on why, and maybe some time meditating on the Word.

At the end of the day, worship is something that is apart of you, and it only comes out through understanding of who you’re praising and how personal it is to you. You’re not alone with you’re feelings, it happens, but it’s worth self-examining about.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
upload_2018-5-20_5-40-2.jpeg