Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That letter is so full of errors and snap judgments. There is no problem with female altar servers. It is not required but most Bishops allow it. Every couple of years some blog gets on a soapbox about it. B16 had them at Papal Masses.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's what I thought. I do not understand why female altar servers are seen as a problem. It's pretty much all I've known since becoming Catholic.
That letter is so full of errors and snap judgments. There is no problem with female altar servers. It is not required but most Bishops allow it. Every couple of years some blog gets on a soapbox about it. B16 had them at Papal Masses.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The letter is succinct and to the point, and if you don't agree with it, A.) you have an agenda B.) that agenda is driven by feelings rather than certain truths of the Christian faith, such as the restriction of clergy to being all male.

BTW - In the Orthodox and Eastern Catholic churches, females are not even allowed behind the iconostasis to the altar area. Not even to clean.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The letter is succinct and to the point, and if you don't agree with it, A.) you have an agenda B.) that agenda is driven by feelings rather than certain truths of the Christian faith, such as the restriction of clergy to being all male.

With respect I have no agenda. And I am in agreement with the last three Popes on the issue and the answer to the dubium submitted to the CDF on the issue. So that is more than an agenda and feelings. I fully support and defend an all male priesthood because it can be no other way.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

BTW - In the Orthodox and Eastern Catholic churches, females are not even allowed behind the iconostasis to the altar area. Not even to clean.
Isn't that a throwback to females having periods, etc?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

At the Greek Orthodox church I used to attend, females would chant near the altar with males during service. Dunno if that's unusual or not.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
At the Greek Orthodox church I used to attend, females would chant near the altar with males during service. Dunno if that's unusual or not.

Behind the Iconostasis? If so, I have never seen such. However, if they were readers (there are, as I understand, female readers in Orthodoxy) they may have been standing in front of the Iconostasis at the kliros.

Upvote 0