Not open for further replies.

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday, a Lutheran friend of mine asked me what I think purgatory is like. A metaphor popped into my head that I've never used before, but I really think it is very good and perhaps it may be useful to others. Anyway, I told him that this world in a certain respect is like being in a dark room. The light, which is God, we see only dimly and from a distance. But when we go to heaven, we encounter God in Himself as a brilliant light. Our eyes have grown accustomed to the darkness of this world, and when we encounter the radiance of God's light it stings and hurts the eyes (the soul). In some respect then we experience pain until our eyes become accustomed to the light.

My friend didn't say much in response, but he seemed to accept it in stride. Pray for him if you will. His name is Dave. Pray for his conversion and also for his health, there is something wrong with his blood and the doctors can't decide what it is.

hawko

Aug 29, 2006
✟9,246.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is my understanding of purgatory: Many years ago while I was in prayer before our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, the Lord gave me this understanding through this vision which I saw in the Communion Host: In the vision, I saw myself standing before Christ at my death . I was then removed from the Lord's presence and placed neck deep into what appeared to be a pool of water. I was in the center of this pool, and trying as hard as I could to get to one of the sides, but was unable to do so. I was stuck in the middle and could not move from my position on my own strength. The suffering that I was experiencing was that I so desperatly wanted to get out of this place, but could not do so. I also experienced feelings of loneliness and sadness due to the fact that I was not with the Lord, but desperately wanted to be so. So, while the Lord was showing me in this place of purification, I decided that I needed to pray some prayers in repentence and reparation for my own sinfullness. So I began to say the rosary. As I proceeded through the praying of the rosary, I could see myself slowly coming up out of this pool of water. Upon the completion of the rosary, I was now completely up and out of this pool of water and standing on the ground to the right side of the pool. This really gave me an understanding of the power of our prayers especially when we pray for the poor souls in purgatory. Since that time, on occasion, the Lord has given me simular visions in the Communion Host of people (whom I didn't know) who were suffering in purgatory. Whenever the Lord gives me this type of vision, I imediately pick up my rosary and begin to pray for that person untill I see this person completely move up and out of this place of purification. This also has given me an understanding personally of how important it is in our own lives to make as many sacrifices and do as much penance as possible not only for ourselves, but for the souls of others, both living and in purgatory. This is something that we should reflect upon not only during Holy Week, but also throughout the entire year. This whole notion of going to frequent confession and doing penance for ourselves and for others has pretty much been forgotten by the majority of Catholics living today.

Upvote 0

hawko

Aug 29, 2006
✟9,246.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are a couple of scriptures both in the Old Testament and the New Testament which speak about purgatory. The first one that comes to mind is in the Gospel of Mathew, Chapter five, Verses 23 - 26. These pasages speak about being reconciled with your brother before going to court, otherwise you will be handed over to the judge (who is Christ) , the Judge will hand you over to the guard, who will throw you into prison (purgatory), WHERE YOU WILL NOT BE RELEASED UNTILL YOU HAVE PAID THE LAST PENNY. (So, after your purification is completed in purgatory, you will be released and enter heaven). The other scripture is in the Old Testament in the Second Book of Maccabees, Chapter 12, verses 38 - 46, which speaks about praying for the dead. Now common sense tells us that if there were ONLY heaven and hell, there would be no need to pray for the dead, since the souls in heaven need no prayers, and no amount of prayers said for the souls in hell would do them any good, since they are there for all of eternity. So, there must be another place that souls go to, and that place is purgatory. To me, purgatory is God's ultimate gift of Divine Mercy that is given to us, since without purgatory, many of us would end up in hell .

Upvote 0

ConanTheLibrarian

Nov 11, 2005
Pyongtaek, South Korea
✟8,033.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like author Peter Kreeft's expression for purgatory: "Heaven's bathroom," where we can take a good hot shower and get a change of clothes before entering the presence of the King. One thing that has stayed with my from some undergraduate psychology courses is how much gunk each of us has buried deep down, needing to be cleaned out.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yesterday, a Lutheran friend of mine asked me what I think purgatory is like. A metaphor popped into my head that I've never used before, but I really think it is very good and perhaps it may be useful to others. Anyway, I told him that this world in a certain respect is like being in a dark room. The light, which is God, we see only dimly and from a distance. But when we go to heaven, we encounter God in Himself as a brilliant light. Our eyes have grown accustomed to the darkness of this world, and when we encounter the radiance of God's light it stings and hurts the eyes (the soul). In some respect then we experience pain until our eyes become accustomed to the light.

My friend didn't say much in response, but he seemed to accept it in stride. Pray for him if you will. His name is Dave. Pray for his conversion and also for his health, there is something wrong with his blood and the doctors can't decide what it is.

The light and dark analogy with God being the light is a nice description and easy for someone to grasp.

Nice job... :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The fiction book, Unchartered by Angela Hunt is a good depiction of what purgatory could be like. Out of curiosity, could any of you give me scripture passages that actually mention purgatory? Thank you!
A State After Death of Suffering and Forgiveness

Matt. 5:26,18:34; Luke 12:58-59 – Jesus teaches us, “Come to terms with your opponent or you will be handed over to the judge and thrown into prison. You will not get out until you have paid the last penny.” The word “opponent” (antidiko) is likely a reference to the devil (see the same word for devil in 1 Pet. 5:8) who is an accuser against man (c.f. Job 1.6-12; Zech. 3.1; Rev. 12.10), and God is the judge. If we have not adequately dealt with satan and sin in this life, we will be held in a temporary state called a prison, and we won’t get out until we have satisfied our entire debt to God. This “prison” is purgatory where we will not get out until the last penny is paid.
Matt. 5:48 - Jesus says, "be perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect." We are only made perfect through purification, and in Catholic teaching, this purification, if not completed on earth, is continued in a transitional state we call purgatory.
Matt. 12:32 – Jesus says, “And anyone who says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but no one who speaks against the Holy Spirit will be forgiven either in this world or in the next.” Jesus thus clearly provides that there is forgiveness after death. The phrase “in the next” (from the Greek “en to mellonti”) generally refers to the afterlife (see, for example, Mark 10.30; Luke 18.30; 20.34-35; Eph. 1.21 for similar language). Forgiveness is not necessary in heaven, and there is no forgiveness in hell. This proves that there is another state after death, and the Church for 2,000 years has called this state purgatory.
Luke 12:47-48 - when the Master comes (at the end of time), some will receive light or heavy beatings but will live. This state is not heaven or hell, because in heaven there are no beatings, and in hell we will no longer live with the Master.
Luke 16:19-31 - in this story, we see that the dead rich man is suffering but still feels compassion for his brothers and wants to warn them of his place of suffering. But there is no suffering in heaven or compassion in hell because compassion is a grace from God and those in hell are deprived from God's graces for all eternity. So where is the rich man? He is in purgatory.
1 Cor. 15:29-30 - Paul mentions people being baptized on behalf of the dead, in the context of atoning for their sins (people are baptized on the dead’s behalf so the dead can be raised). These people cannot be in heaven because they are still with sin, but they also cannot be in hell because their sins can no longer be atoned for. They are in purgatory. These verses directly correspond to 2 Macc. 12:44-45 which also shows specific prayers for the dead, so that they may be forgiven of their sin.
Phil. 2:10 - every knee bends to Jesus, in heaven, on earth, and "under the earth" which is the realm of the righteous dead, or purgatory.
2 Tim. 1:16-18 - Onesiphorus is dead but Paul asks for mercy on him “on that day.” Paul’s use of “that day” demonstrates its eschatological usage (see, for example, Rom. 2.5,16; 1 Cor. 1.8; 3.13; 5.5; 2 Cor. 1.14; Phil. 1.6,10; 2.16; 1 Thess. 5.2,4,5,8; 2 Thess. 2.2,3; 2 Tim. 4.8). Of course, there is no need for mercy in heaven, and there is no mercy given in hell. Where is Onesiphorus? He is in purgatory.
Heb. 12:14 - without holiness no one will see the Lord. We need final sanctification to attain true holiness before God, and this process occurs during our lives and, if not completed during our lives, in the transitional state of purgatory.
Heb. 12:23 - the spirits of just men who died in godliness are "made" perfect. They do not necessarily arrive perfect. They are made perfect after their death. But those in heaven are already perfect, and those in hell can no longer be made perfect. These spirits are in purgatory.
1 Peter 3:19; 4:6 - Jesus preached to the spirits in the "prison." These are the righteous souls being purified for the beatific vision.
Rev. 21:4 - God shall wipe away their tears, and there will be no mourning or pain, but only after the coming of the new heaven and the passing away of the current heaven and earth. Note the elimination of tears and pain only occurs at the end of time. But there is no morning or pain in heaven, and God will not wipe away their tears in hell. These are the souls experiencing purgatory.
Rev. 21:27 - nothing unclean shall enter heaven. The word “unclean” comes from the Greek word “koinon” which refers to a spiritual corruption. Even the propensity to sin is spiritually corrupt, or considered unclean, and must be purified before entering heaven. It is amazing how many Protestants do not want to believe in purgatory. Purgatory exists because of the mercy of God. If there were no purgatory, this would also likely mean no salvation for most people. God is merciful indeed.
Luke 23:43 – many Protestants argue that, because Jesus sent the good thief right to heaven, there can be no purgatory. There are several rebuttals. First, when Jesus uses the word "paradise,” He did not mean heaven. Paradise, from the Hebrew "sheol," meant the realm of the righteous dead. This was the place of the dead who were destined for heaven, but who were captive until the Lord's resurrection. Second, since there was no punctuation in the original manuscript, Jesus’ statement “I say to you today you will be with me in paradise” does not mean there was a comma after the first word “you.” This means Jesus could have said, “I say to you today, you will be with me in paradise” (meaning, Jesus could have emphasized with exclamation his statement was “today” or “now,” and that some time in the future the good thief would go to heaven). Third, even if the thief went straight to heaven, this does not prove there is no purgatory (those who are fully sanctified in this life – perhaps by a bloody and repentant death – could be ready for admission in to heaven).
Gen. 50:10; Num. 20:29; Deut. 34:8 - here are some examples of ritual prayer and penitent mourning for the dead for specific periods of time. The Jewish understanding of these practices was that the prayers freed the souls from their painful state of purification, and expedited their journey to God.
Baruch 3:4 - Baruch asks the Lord to hear the prayers of the dead of Israel. Prayers for the dead are unnecessary in heaven and unnecessary in hell. These dead are in purgatory.
Zech. 9:11 - God, through the blood of His covenant, will set those free from the waterless pit, a spiritual abode of suffering which the Church calls purgatory.
2 Macc. 12:43-45 - the prayers for the dead help free them from sin and help them to the reward of heaven. Those in heaven have no sin, and those in hell can no longer be freed from sin. They are in purgatory. Luther was particularly troubled with these verses because he rejected the age-old teaching of purgatory. As a result, he removed Maccabees from the canon of the Bible.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html

Reactions: hsilgne
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amylisa

Yeshua's love is my life
Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
✟23,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for so many helpful posts! This is a great help.

When I was struggling to understand this doctrine, the Lord gave me a thought one morning just as I woke up....that purgatory is for unrepented sin.

The explanations and scriptures you guys gave are great, thanks again.:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HappyMomof4

Thank You Jesus!
Aug 9, 2004
✟9,453.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I once heard this comparison. Purgatory is like when you visit someone in an ICU and you have to scrub your hands so hard to get every tiny little germ off so you will be clean enough to visit the person. It kind of hurts to scrub so hard, to go under the fingernails and on the sides, etc.

I thought it was a helpful comparison.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.