Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up with a learning disability that all four of my children also seem to have. Our son has two additional ones as well. Having a site back then were I could go for help, advice or just to reach out to other parents struggling with disabilities like ours would have been very helpful. Having such a site would also free up space here for non-disability issues so people with specific problems could more easily see those issues depending on which site they went to.

Please let me know by voting yes or no to this idea and I love to here feed back on this idea as well. Have a great day.

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi joyous song

I have posted different topics in the parents section
however, the parent section is just not that active

did find this organization which has a map to click to find support in each state:

Support – Learning Disabilities Association of America

JS: Thank you for your reply. I take a look at that web site when I can. I wondered which place to put this. Are any other of these sites visited often enough for feedback? I also am seeking a site for those with CAPD (Central Auditory Processing Disorder) for three reasons.

1) It was not well know fifty years ago and even today the testing is hard to find and the test not fully reliable. so many kids get diagnosed ADHD because their are overlapping symptoms. One way to know if ones kid was misdiagnosed is if the medicines never worked for them. another reason kids can be missed is because what they are called twice exceptional learners. Twice exceptional learners are those with CAPD who develop so many coping mechanisms that they seem to do fairly well in school, they just have bad days and their grades tend toward average. So they do not seem learning disabled when they really are and could excel if they were treated as such.

2) the next group are the thousand of not millions of adults who never got diagnosed.As said this LD wasn't even well known in the seventies and early eighties. I was in my third year of collage when I even first heard of this condition. So their are people who made it through school more or less like my mother-in-law. Her reading skills were poor but good enough to get her through. Yet they struggled to keep jobs and often are laid off.

3) the third group are those that acquired this disability because of a head injury, chronic inner ear infections or just getting older (so I posted on 50+ forum). These people suddenly find they can't hear sometimes and other times they can and they never cleaned out their ears before hearing improved. Or they went for a hearing test and found they had perfect hearing even those they only hear mumbling from those around them in noisy situations,

I like to find these folks because I think I may be able to help some. I had this all my life, I'm one of those Twice Exceptional Learners which means I likely wouldn't have been diagnosed even had they been able to back in the sixties. Yet I home schooled four and all but one (still in collage) is working. Only our oldest son was "diagnosed". But he was three and the audiologist said he'd never test positive by seven when kids are usually tested because he already was developing cooping mechanisms.

Well that's why I wondered if such a site existed but if these sites are already not being used its probably a waste of time.

Upvote 0

Connie T. Causey

Sep 23, 2021
Laval, Quebec
✟15,212.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If there is a problem like this, I think you need to take an expert's advice. Or you have to seek help from institutions that provide online academic support to students and there will be mentors who help the parents with guiding their children. Don't worry, May God help you to solve your problem as soon as possible.

Upvote 0