Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People suffering with the cost of living crisis are being offered help—a map which shows them where they can find and pick free wild food.

The Community Food Support Map shows people where food can be foraged, from vegan bacon alternatives to flower heads that can be used to make puddings.

Based in Rame, Cornwall, the social enterprise Family Foraging Kitchen created the map as a valuable resource source for all and a way to offset the rising cost of living.

Continued below.
A Map Shows Where Locals Can Find and Pick Wild Food for Free

Homeowner

Jan 25, 2022
Oslo
✟23,485.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
"Others are concerned that the map may lead to hedgerows being stripped by commercial foragers.

This is a phenomenon that has become more common in recent times, such as beds of wild garlic being stripped at Lostwithiel in Cornwall.

But one Lostwithiel resident said the destruction was “devastating” and “really upsetting to see.” They said, “Creating a map, putting it online? I’m very hesitant about it. It feels like it’s something that could very easily just get completely out of hand."

This reminds me of the story of the Radio Station that wanted to encourage people to read more so they announced they had hidden hundred dollar bills in books at local library as nice reward for reading the book.

So naturally hordes of people stormed the library and ripped the books apart to find those bills.

Radio Station in question apologized and paid for damages.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Others are concerned that the map may lead to hedgerows being stripped by commercial foragers.

This is a phenomenon that has become more common in recent times, such as beds of wild garlic being stripped at Lostwithiel in Cornwall.

But one Lostwithiel resident said the destruction was “devastating” and “really upsetting to see.” They said, “Creating a map, putting it online? I’m very hesitant about it. It feels like it’s something that could very easily just get completely out of hand."

This reminds me of the story of the Radio Station that wanted to encourage people to read more so they announced they had hidden hundred dollar bills in books at local library as nice reward for reading the book.

So naturally hordes of people stormed the library and ripped the books apart to find those bills.

Radio Station in question apologized and paid for damages.
This forum is not for debate but food, drink, fellowship and recipes. But thanks for your concern.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, Vix does not seem to think that the map will encourage anybody to over pick an area.

“It’s to give people an idea of the kind of places they can go where things are in abundance,” she explains.

“But when it comes to local families and families going out to feed themselves and their children for free, I think that is the last true freedom that we have left as human beings.

“And people are not going to over pick an area if it’s on their back doorstep because it’s a valuable resource which they want to have for life.”

Upvote 0

Homeowner

Jan 25, 2022
Oslo
✟23,485.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This forum is not for debate but food, drink, fellowship and recipes. But thanks for your concern.

What debate ?

The article itself pointed out the possible downsides of this scheme. I really doubt forum rules require the most positive interpretation of any article you choose to post.

However, Vix does not seem to think that the map will encourage anybody to over pick an area.

“It’s to give people an idea of the kind of places they can go where things are in abundance,” she explains.

“But when it comes to local families and families going out to feed themselves and their children for free, I think that is the last true freedom that we have left as human beings.

“And people are not going to over pick an area if it’s on their back doorstep because it’s a valuable resource which they want to have for life.”

Vix sounds very optimistic to be sure. I wonder if she has ever seen people fighting over best berry, mushroom or fishing spots.

Perhaps they would get farther just by giving out principles of foraging rather than actual sites. Well best luck for them.

Upvote 0

Homeowner

Jan 25, 2022
Oslo
✟23,485.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well so much for the “good news”. :rolleyes:

I actually did check the forum this was in the case it was something like that.

Anyway it is an ...interesting .... take on things. Anything that promotes nature knowledge must worth something.

Upvote 0

deanerenata32

Jul 8, 2021
greeneville
✟10,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You should be careful when foraging wild food. You should take along an expert who is experienced in telling wild plants apart from one another so you don't accidentally pick something poisonous and mistake it for something else. Just saying.

Upvote 0