Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
made up bed.png

A Made up Bed, Symbol of Perfection

I found out at a very young age that life was often disorganized, disordered, and cluttered. For me, there is no rest when these states build up. Being in a large family, not an unhappy situation, but a normal one, which has more than its share of troubles, taught a simple way of coping. I found out, I do not know-how, that if I made my bed in the morning, it seemed to be a center of peace for me throughout the day. Knowing my bed was ‘perfectly’ made up. Sheets tightly pulled under the mattress, a cover smooth, without a wrinkle, and of course, a pillow set the tone for me.

To this day, the first thing I do in the morning is to make my bed. I do this no matter how much my back hurts, I do it. So my day starts with one perfect thing (well sort of) and it gives me rest.

Now I know that my bed is never perfectly made up since the perfection that we often imagine does not exist. Yet it is close enough. The other half of life, the much bigger half, is a different story. I have to learn to deal with lots of imperfections, and I still strive to find perfection in the midst of messiness.

When I look within I find peace, but also chaos, happiness, also sorrow, hope, then there is doubt. Always in motion, even when I am silent in prayer all the above are still there even if muted.

While the grass may look greener in the next field, once it is visited, there is no difference, except perhaps in its arrangement. Each situation, person, family, and personal background is unique, yet shares a commonality that allows us to try to communicate, and we are often more successful than not, but in an imperfect manner.

I can remember a powerful, but quiet moment, that happened to me when I was 25. I was running down to work at our farm and feeling great. As I was running the thought came to me that I had to remember this moment, this second, hold on to it. So that was one moment that was not doomed to oblivion, buried somewhere in my deep unconscious. I think I remembered it because, at that time, I arrived at some sort of physical perfection. I was in great shape. Lifted weights, ran, stretched, and swam a great deal in one of our man-made ponds. I believe that was my peak of physical perfection that lasted the length of that thought, it has been a slow slide ever since.

I guess if perfection is arrived at, it begins to fall apart at that moment. It is just the way of the world. Even art, slowly declines, though it can take a very long time in human years to happen.

Yet it is in imperfection that we grow, become patient, and less demanding. In our failures, and imperfections, we are slowly overtime led to humility, which is the ability to understand aspects of ourselves that we will never have complete control over. If we ever did get complete control, it would be a dangerous illusion, and then others would have to bear the brunt of that. Since perfect people are easily bothered by the imperfections of others and are quick to voice their discontent. From time to time I suffer from being ‘perfect’, not very pleasant, it is a lonely cold place.

God is glorified in our weakness, for it is when we are weakest, that we learn of our need for mercy and the grace that actually is. In monastic life, there is a saying: “A monks life consists of falling and getting up, falling and getting up, falling and getting up, without losing patience, trust, or hope in God’s love, mercy, and grace.-Br.MD

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
View attachment 303939

A Made up Bed, Symbol of Perfection

I found out at a very young age that life was often disorganized, disordered, and cluttered. For me, there is no rest when these states build up. Being in a large family, not an unhappy situation, but a normal one, which has more than its share of troubles, taught a simple way of coping. I found out, I do not know-how, that if I made my bed in the morning, it seemed to be a center of peace for me throughout the day. Knowing my bed was ‘perfectly’ made up. Sheets tightly pulled under the mattress, a cover smooth, without a wrinkle, and of course, a pillow set the tone for me.

To this day, the first thing I do in the morning is to make my bed. I do this no matter how much my back hurts, I do it. So my day starts with one perfect thing (well sort of) and it gives me rest.

Now I know that my bed is never perfectly made up since the perfection that we often imagine does not exist. Yet it is close enough. The other half of life, the much bigger half, is a different story. I have to learn to deal with lots of imperfections, and I still strive to find perfection in the midst of messiness.

When I look within I find peace, but also chaos, happiness, also sorrow, hope, then there is doubt. Always in motion, even when I am silent in prayer all the above are still there even if muted.

While the grass may look greener in the next field, once it is visited, there is no difference, except perhaps in its arrangement. Each situation, person, family, and personal background is unique, yet shares a commonality that allows us to try to communicate, and we are often more successful than not, but in an imperfect manner.

I can remember a powerful, but quiet moment, that happened to me when I was 25. I was running down to work at our farm and feeling great. As I was running the thought came to me that I had to remember this moment, this second, hold on to it. So that was one moment that was not doomed to oblivion, buried somewhere in my deep unconscious. I think I remembered it because, at that time, I arrived at some sort of physical perfection. I was in great shape. Lifted weights, ran, stretched, and swam a great deal in one of our man-made ponds. I believe that was my peak of physical perfection that lasted the length of that thought, it has been a slow slide ever since.

I guess if perfection is arrived at, it begins to fall apart at that moment. It is just the way of the world. Even art, slowly declines, though it can take a very long time in human years to happen.

Yet it is in imperfection that we grow, become patient, and less demanding. In our failures, and imperfections, we are slowly overtime led to humility, which is the ability to understand aspects of ourselves that we will never have complete control over. If we ever did get complete control, it would be a dangerous illusion, and then others would have to bear the brunt of that. Since perfect people are easily bothered by the imperfections of others and are quick to voice their discontent. From time to time I suffer from being ‘perfect’, not very pleasant, it is a lonely cold place.

God is glorified in our weakness, for it is when we are weakest, that we learn of our need for mercy and the grace that actually is. In monastic life, there is a saying: “A monks life consists of falling and getting up, falling and getting up, falling and getting up, without losing patience, trust, or hope in God’s love, mercy, and grace.-Br.MD

I agree. Two things that I need to maintain a sense of order in my house. I can't go to bed unless the dishes are done, and I must make my bed in the morning.

Upvote 0

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree. Two things that I need to maintain a sense of order in my house. I can't go to bed unless the dishes are done, and I must make my bed in the morning.
Yes, these little rituals do help, thanks for sharing.

• Friendly
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I too find a sense of comfort in some sort of order that I know I've contributed to, to some stabilization of what I can realistically look forward to. I sleep better when the covers are organized, so at the end of the day, a made up bed gives me that best chance at resting. Knowing there is rest at the end makes it easier to persevere through the day. And I usually do the dishes too so I don't have to wake up to a mess, although I'm not bothered by a few items in the sink. I figure, for what it's worth, that we were set up to benefit from a rhythm, a regularity, a few things that we have "always" been able to count on. Everything may change tomorrow, but for today, for this moment, I know I have contributed to a sense of stability for myself and my community, and it something comes up bigger than that, I'm still in good Hands and by being stable I am better able to be part of anything new that comes up under His direction.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Funny how you describe these things. I too can look at a made-up bed as a sort of restful anchor in a chaotic life.

And I’ve had those moments when the thought came to mark them, memorize them, soak up all the fragments of life contained within them, in order to visit later and not forget. (Not physical perfection in my case though lol.)

• Winner
Reactions: Mark Dohle
Upvote 0

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I too find a sense of comfort in some sort of order that I know I've contributed to, to some stabilization of what I can realistically look forward to. I sleep better when the covers are organized, so at the end of the day, a made up bed gives me that best chance at resting. Knowing there is rest at the end makes it easier to persevere through the day. And I usually do the dishes too so I don't have to wake up to a mess, although I'm not bothered by a few items in the sink. I figure, for what it's worth, that we were set up to benefit from a rhythm, a regularity, a few things that we have "always" been able to count on. Everything may change tomorrow, but for today, for this moment, I know I have contributed to a sense of stability for myself and my community, and it something comes up bigger than that, I'm still in good Hands and by being stable I am better able to be part of anything new that comes up under His direction.
You said it better than me....thanks!!

Upvote 0

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Funny how you describe these things. I too can look at a made-up bed as a sort of restful anchor in a chaotic life.

And I’ve had those moments when the thought came to mark them, memorize them, soak up all the fragments of life contained within them, in order to visit later and not forget. (Not physical perfection in my case though lol.)
Love you reply, thank you my friend.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0