• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A LOT of health problems

Grandpa4

Sep 25, 2015
Jacumba, CA
✟8,053.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm assuming I must have put these somewhere, but I don't know where. My health is rapidly going downhill. In 2006, I was diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Last March I was diagnosed with bone cancer, then chronic kidney disease and anemia. I'm on a lot of meds--some I take once day, some twice a day, one I take ten at one time once a week, and one I take one per day day for 21 days and then none or seven days. Three of them are for the cancer.

My arms and legs have gotten very weak, and I fall a lot and can't get up. Tuesday of this weak, I fell in my bedroom and was on the floor for about 26 hours until someone showed up Wednesday morning to check on me. I had nothing to eat or drink for that whole time and couldn't use the bathroom, except for urinating on myself a couple of times. Someone was kind enough to give me a walker that really helps. I was using a cane that didn't help much to keep me steady on my feet. Since that fall in my bedroom, I'm getting people coming around to check on me--something I've been wanting. A neighbor woman was kind enough to wash my dishes for me today. I'm hoping for more help like that. I've reached the point where doing everything myself is no longer possible, and I'm just short of 70.

Grandpa4

Sep 25, 2015
Jacumba, CA
✟8,053.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It sounds like you need to be in a facility that offers around the clock care. I know that may be hard to hear but it your condition it may be the best option. Or you also may be able to get by with in home care givers.

I have in home care with a nurse coming to see me once or twice a week. She checks my vitals, helps me bathe, and even offered to do my home cleaning for me. It's called Hospice, and it costs me nothing.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I have in home care with a nurse coming to see me once or twice a week. She checks my vitals, helps me bathe, and even offered to do my home cleaning for me. It's called Hospice, and it costs me nothing.

That's good. But with what you said in your original post once or twice a week may not be enough. You may need to pay for daily in home care.

Do you have children that can come check on you regularly?

Upvote 0

Grandpa4

Sep 25, 2015
Jacumba, CA
✟8,053.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's good. But with what you said in your original post once or twice a week may not be enough. You may need to pay for daily in home care.

Do you have children that can come check on you regularly?

Upvote 0

Grandpa4

Sep 25, 2015
Jacumba, CA
✟8,053.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I have two daughters in their 40s who live too far way and can't afford the long trip--even if they cared enough to come. A doctor was here with the nurse yesterday and talked about sending me to a facility for proper care that I can't get at home. I think the fact that I fell while they were here made up his mind to that. That would mean losing my independence, which has always been a fear for me, but I would be looked after as I need and properly fed, which I'm not getting at home. I fall a lot and would have people to pick me up. I fell this morning, hit my head, and had a time getting up. There's supposed to be another nurse coming to day; at least, I think she's a nurse. Someone is supposed to come tomorrow and take me for my cancer treatment and to see my cancer doctor. That doesn't cost me anything either. My hands shake so much while I'm typing that I have to keep correcting typos.

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I have two daughters in their 40s who live too far way and can't afford the long trip--even if they cared enough to come. A doctor was here with the nurse yesterday and talked about sending me to a facility for proper care that I can't get at home. I think the fact that I fell while they were here made up his mind to that. That would mean losing my independence, which has always been a fear for me, but I would be looked after as I need and properly fed, which I'm not getting at home. I fall a lot and would have people to pick me up. I fell this morning, hit my head, and had a time getting up. There's supposed to be another nurse coming to day; at least, I think she's a nurse. Someone is supposed to come tomorrow and take me for my cancer treatment and to see my cancer doctor. That doesn't cost me anything either. My hands shake so much while I'm typing that I have to keep correcting typos.

It sounds like being in a facility may be the best thing for you at this point. I pray that God gives the doctors wisdom. God bless you.

Upvote 0