• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A little confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fadeaway872

I was diagnosed with PCOS at the beginning of March. I had a fasting glucose test done at my gyn's office which was normal. The other day I got blood work done at my regular doctor's office and the nurse said my blood sugar was 147 when it's suppose to be 99. That blood test wasn't fasting or anything, but the nurse said since I already had one done at my gyn I didn't have to have a fasting glucose test since it was normal.

A am a little confused how one says my sugar levels are normal and the other says it isn't. I don't know much about this but since it wasn't a fasting test does that make it inaccurate or something?

I am going to the gyn on Thursday and will mention this to her but I was just curious if someone knew something.

Also I have been reading a lot about PCOS over the net and I know some people say even if their blood sugar levels are normal they are still IR. Is this true? I am worried if I should be taking metformin or not.

Also cinenomin works as good as metforim right?

Thanks for the replies.

lovesdolphins

New year, new me, new baby????
Mar 28, 2007
Houston
✟15,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that your non-fasting number won't be as accurate as a fasting number.

As for the IR - my fasting glucose number has been fine for quite a while, but my fasting insulin number has been high, which is currently what my Dr is concerned about.

Also - I'm not sure that cinnamon works quite as well as metformin - but it does help with metabolizing glucose. I have been taking the two together for a while now.

Upvote 0

kpetty16

Jun 13, 2008
Olathe, KS
✟15,243.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you talking about regular cinnamon and if so, how much and in what way do you use it?

Thanks,
Kim:)
Also - I'm not sure that cinnamon works quite as well as metformin - but it does help with metabolizing glucose. I have been taking the two together for a while now.

Upvote 0

lovesdolphins

New year, new me, new baby????
Mar 28, 2007
Houston
✟15,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know that some people just sprinkle it on some of their food - but I'v been taking it in a pill form. I can't remember the exact name of it - but it has cinnamon and chromium together. I get it at Wal-Mart, I tried GNC to see if they had it, but they don't sell the two of them together, I also looked at CVS but i couldnt' find it there either.

Reactions: kpetty16
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.