On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John 6:39 "And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day"

The ones that the Father hath given to Christ are the ones that conditionally have and maintain a present tense coming and believing, i.e., God gives to Christ the ones that have obeyed the gospel of Christ. And as long as they CONDITIONALLY continue to come to Christ and believe Him they will not be lost.

John 17:6-8 Judas was one who was given to Christ. Even though Judas was given to Christ by God, he ended up lost "While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled." John 17:12
Jesus could not say these words of v17 if Judas had never been given to Him by God.

Judas BECAME lost due to not conditionally maintaining a present tense coming to and belief in Christ.

1 John 2:19 does not say, imply nor prove that if one quits believing that he "never did really believe". That illogical idea is assumed into the verse by some people. You said yourself "in 1 John 2, they are said to be antichrist who are not of us since they departed the faith.." Logically one cannot depart from the faith if he was never in or ever had the faith to begin with. Therefore Christians can lose their faith and become lost.
No, people lose faith in a false gospel.

• Agree
Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Again you fail to give all of 1 John 2. Liars and those who do not have the truth in them (that is, those who do not keep His commandments), are not 'of us'. Those who 'stayed', know the truth, and no lie is of the truth. Since the Holy One is the truth, keeping His commandments is what has the truth in you.

27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

It is the 'unction' which teaches us about all things, and this 'unction' is true and not a lie. Just as it has TAUGHT us, we will abide in Him. Now let's see who abides in Him from the same chapter in verse 24 -

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Again, we see it is those who keep His commandments, who abide in Him. Everything depends on us keeping His commandments.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now you may know that you have construed results as causes, and have therefor made yourself your own savior.
Pretty tidy.

Do you not believe what John says? If you don't keep His commandments, John says you don't know Him and the truth is not in you. So, do you keep His commandments that you may have the truth in you?

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
You construe foreknowing to be clairvoyance as if God didn't know the beginning from the end of his own creation before He created it, and had "peek" into a future He himself created.
I cant imagine such a powerless Creator God that some believe in who does not know the beginning and ending of what He has done. To be Creator means to have created all things with purpose according to the desire of the Creator.
ALL THINGS are of HIM, to HIM, through HIM and for HIM.
And scripture tells us God's will can not be ultimately resisted, that He does whatever He wishes with what He has made.
Romans 9
19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”[h] 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I cant imagine such a powerless Creator God that some believe in who does not know the beginning and ending of what He has done. To be Creator means to have created all things with purpose according to the desire of the Creator.
ALL THINGS are of HIM, to HIM, through HIM and for HIM.
And scripture tells us God's will can not be ultimately resisted, that He does whatever He wishes with what He has made.
Romans 9
19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”[h] 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?
It's as if they think the creation is of more consequence than the creator. smh
I had this same problem in every church I ever went to.
Free will is more important than God's will.
They don't address the scriptures that directly contradict them before they resort to scriptures they think support them.
Twas ever thus, I imagine.
Nice running into you, though, even tho we may have some contentious issue elsewhere. Can't recall what it was, but I think we disagreed about something in the last couple of months. I may be wrong.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
It's as if they think the creation is of more consequence than the creator. smh
I had this same problem in every church I ever went to.
Free will is more important than God's will.
They don't address the scriptures that directly contradict them before they resort to scriptures they think support them.
Twas ever thus, I imagine.
Nice running into you, though, even tho we may have some contentious issue elsewhere. Can't recall what it was, but I think we disagreed about something in the last couple of months. I may be wrong.
?? Don't recall anything like that. I am still a fan of the flat earth.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You construe foreknowing to be clairvoyance as if God didn't know the beginning from the end of his own creation before He created it, and had "peek" into a future He himself created.

God foreknew and predetermined that the group Christian will be saved, yet God never predetermined for men which will or will not be in the group.

Since God predetermined the group, then God is not culpable for those who are not in the group. If God had unconditionally predetermined individuals then God is culpable for the lost and a respecter of persons.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The bible speaks of those that 'depart from the faith'

"The faith" refers to the NT faith and one cannot depart from what he never had.
Do you recognize any difference between "faith" and "the faith"?
If not, I can see how you reached your conclusion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God foreknew and predetermined that the group Christian will be saved, yet God never predetermined for men which will or will not be in the group.

Since God predetermined the group, then God is not culpable for those who are not in the group. If God had unconditionally predetermined individuals then God is culpable for the lost and a respecter of persons.
God is entirely responsible for what he created.
It is entirely folly to suggest he is not.
It also folly not be able to distinguish responsibility from guilt.
I am responsible for, but not guilty of, my children's behavior.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What does that passage have to do with losing one's salvation? In fact, what does that passage have to do with salvation at all?

Those were my same thoughts -- where did the topic go ?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God is entirely responsible for what he created.
It is entirely folly to suggest he is not.
It also folly not be able to distinguish responsibility from guilt.
I am responsible for, but not guilty of, my children's behavior.

God gave man free will and God is not responsible for the corrupt way man uses his free will no more than any mother or father is held responsible for what their adult children do.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you recognize any difference between "faith" and "the faith"?
If not, I can see how you reached your conclusion.

When I write of "the faith" I am talking about the body of information contained within the NT, as in Galatians 1:23 Paul preached "the faith" is that he preached body of information contained within Christ's NT.

• Informative
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
op: "LOSE YOUR SALVATION" VERSES

Here is my "copy and paste" insertion on " ETERNAL SECURITY" of the true believer's salvation and SPIRITUAL POSITION.

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/losing-salvation.8010090/

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/you-can-lose-your-salvation-through-apostasy.7785433/

Can True born again BELIEVERS lose their spiritual POSITION in Christ?

Can a Christian Lose His Salvation?

ETERNAL SECURITY of the salvation of True Christ-followers.

Jesus taught and practiced FORGIVENESS OF SINS to believers...NOT loss of spiritual POSITION
Mark 11: 24-25
See ALSO: Luke 6: 36-38...Jesus: Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Jesus will never "..cast out " a true "sheep" ...believer.
John 6:35-40

Paul taught that: (NOTHING) ..."will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord...."

Romans 8:35-39

John 10...Jesus the God-Man / and the Father hold you in theis HANDS!...NOTHING can "snatch" you out!

The TRI-UNE God by Grace through Faith has saved the Souls and Spirits of all true believers:
1. shown uttermost LOVE...John 13:1
2. keeps us to Himself.....John 28:30
3. presents us faultless in heaven...Jude 24
4. makes intercession to maintain our saved relationship...Hebrews 7:25; 1 John 2:1
5. places us into the Body of Christ / indwelt by God the Holy Spirit...1 Cor. 12:13
6. seals us until the day of redemption...Ephesians 4:30

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel,
for it is the power of God FOR salvation to everyone who BELIEVES,
to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Once a spirit-led BELIEVER...ALWAYS a spirit-led BELIEVER. God does not take back His Ephesian 2 GIFTS!

Ephesians 1:13
In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation — having also BELIEVED, you were SEALED in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Once a SEALED BELIEVER...always a SEALED BELIEVER. Once God gives you SPIRITUAL POSITION, He does not change it.

Once a son of God...Always a son of God

Once adopted into the family of God...Always adopted into the family of God

Once a sheep of the Good Shepherd...Always a sheep of the Good Shepherd

Once spiritually changed / "born again from above "...Always spiritually changed / "born again from above "

Once indwelt by God the Holy Spirit...Always indwelt by God the Holy Spirit

...Always spiritually baptized into the Body of Once spiritually baptized into the Body of ChristChrist

Once John 3 / Ephesian 2 saved...ALWAYS John 3 / Ephesian 2 SAVED

Once God performs His Loving works and gifts of salvation...GOD WILL NOT UN-DO THEM!...But He does FORGIVE SIN...NOT punish with the loss of SPIRITUAL POSITION.

2 Timothy 3:15
and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that
leads to salvation THROUGH FAITH which is in Christ Jesus.

Luke 6
47 Everyone who COMES to Me and HEARS My words and ACTS on them, I will show you whom he is like:
48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation on "THE ROCK";
and when a flood occurred, the torrent burst against that house and could not shake it,
because it had been well built.
49 But the one who has heard and has not ACTED accordingly,
is like a man who built a house on the ground without any foundation;(SINKING SAND!)
and the torrent burst against it and immediately it collapsed,
and the ruin of that house was great.”

Once a BELIEVER is built on "THE ROCK"...ALWAYS will he stay built on "THE ROCK". God is your unchanging support.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 78:35
And they remembered that God was their rock,
And the Most High God their Redeemer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums