Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
This link was sent to me.
I found it very intresting.
Wondering what Baptist thoughts are on it.......
Baptist only please.

http://www.truecatholic.org/cathsalv.htm

GEL
Ps. I would LOVE to have a conversation in here regarding this subject without any interrupting posts to CLARIFY points from other forums. I am begging those of you from a differant forum, please concider our right to speak in here. After all, this is our home. Please respect it.
Thank you!

repoland2

Feb 20, 2005
Alaska - USA
✟8,128.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Interesting, I have not read the link as of yet because I have a question.

I consider myself non-denomination, however I willingly attend baptist churches to learn what the Lord has for me. I choose to be non-denom because I see myself as a spiritual lover of Christ which doesn't hold me to any specific denomination. You can learn anything the Lord wants you to, in any church, or on any street corner, at home with family and friends, or with a nine milimeter pointed point blank.

My question is, must I be a full baptist in order to post my belief's, opinions, and experiences?

Ps. I will respect your wishes if you feel you want only full baptist's beliefs on this.

Reactions: Cright
Upvote 0

ksen

Wiki on Garth!
Mar 24, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
GreenEyedLady said:
Baptist only please.

GEL
Ps. I would LOVE to have a conversation in here regarding this subject without any interrupting posts to CLARIFY points from other forums. I am begging those of you from a differant forum, please concider our right to speak in here. After all, this is our home. Please respect it.
Thank you!

My thoughts are that this website doesn't reflect current Catholic thought. It is a site run by Sedevacantists (they don't believe there has been a true Pope in Rome for about half a century).

http://www.truecatholic.org/

I would guess that our Catholic members on this board would consider this group in schism with the Catholic church. So I wouldn't use anything on that site as representative of what the Church in Rome actually teaches.

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the front page:
"It is likely that most of you think that the “Catholic Church” now centered in Rome, in the Vatican, is the Catholic Church. Since 1958 (after the death of Pope Pius XII on October 9, 1958), the holders of offices there, have usurped the name of the Catholic Church from which they of their own free will departed. They left the faith, and therefore they left the Church that was founded by Christ on the apostles with Peter as its head. Their defection from the faith is something we must prove and that is the burden of much of the literature that you will find in this website. "

Quite honestly I think these are some really misguided folks with alot of sour grapes they are trodding into vinegar. They are anti-Catholic as far as I can tell in that they do not support the current set up in the Vatican. They have a list of 101 heresies that the current pope and Vatican II have supposedly brought out since its inception.

After reading the front page of that site I am convinced that this is where most people get their dislike from, when it concerns the Catholic faith. I am also convinced that there are some here that feelt he way this site says, but they are not int he majority here at CF.

Just my First Baptist thoughts :)

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
repoland2 said:

I consider myself non-denomination, however I willingly attend baptist churches to learn what the Lord has for me. I choose to be non-denom because I see myself as a spiritual lover of Christ which doesn't hold me to any specific denomination. You can learn anything the Lord wants you to, in any church, or on any street corner, at home with family and friends, or with a nine milimeter pointed point blank.

My question is, must I be a full baptist in order to post my belief's, opinions, and experiences?

Ps. I will respect your wishes if you feel you want only full baptist's beliefs on this.

You have to be baptist to post any discussion threads in this forum.

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2) Baptist/Anabaptist, as well as all members of the Congregational Forums can post fellowship threads here. Only Baptist/Anabaptist members are allowed to debate threads to discuss various doctrines to do with their own denomination and other denominations (including the Catholic church), as long as they are within our rules.

3) Non-Baptist/Anabaptist members (eg. Catholic,Charasmatic, Weselyan, Lutheran, etc... members) can only post fellowship posts here or posts to ask a question regarding Baptist/Anabaptist doctrine. Once the question is answered, there shall be no debate over the answer in this forum by the Non-Baptist/Anabaptist members. Any debate posts by Non-Baptist/Anabaptist members will be deleted or moved to the appropriate forum. In other words, only Baptist/Anabaptist members can debate here.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Whoever the website owners are, they are quoting from catholic documents and catholic popes, documents and statements that are still considered infallible to this day.

This is what catholicism teaches, that only those within the church or desiring to be within the church can be saved, or those with invincible ignorance (mentally handicapped and those who have never had any knowledge of catholicism) may be excepted. If you doubt this, search OBOB discussions on the subject and you will see that OBOB has discussed this topic many times and always came to the exact same conclusion, only those people within the Church, or with a demonstrated desire to be within the Church, or those who are outside the church but willing to admit that catholicism is God's one true church and the holder of all Truth, or those too ignorant to know the Church exists can be saved.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Here is a perfect example:
http://www.christianforums.com/t1290284-eternal-fate-of-our-protestant-brothers-and-sisters.html

They don't say protestants ARE saved, they say they can be saved, if they have the right relationship with the catholic church. We believe that it is our relationship with Christ that saves us, but they believe it is their relationship with their church that saves them. Since we don't have a relationship with their church and don't want to be members of of their church, we are considered to be in rebellion and therefore lost. Only if we agree to the magisterium of their church and actively desire to become members, can we be saved.

Upvote 0

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, i understand that the RCC thinks they are the true Church that Christ founded. But from some of the stuff i read about extra-curricular activity, i don't think so. (like the Mary 'veneration' )

example

THE PRAISES OF MARY

ST LOMMAN, ABBOT (7th century)

St Lomman, Irish abbot of the 7th century, gave us these Praises of Mary, passed down orally until finally written down in the twentieth century! What a beautiful testimony to Our Lady, going back so many centuries! What a gift of the Irish Church to all of us!

Chorus: Mary, Loving Mary,

Our joy and our delight.

1. Joy of the Father,

Love of the Son,

Delight of the Holy Spirit,

Delight of the Most High God.

Thou who knew not man,

Mother of the Holy One,

Mother of Him Who was never made.

He drank life from thy breasts.

Before Adam He knew thee,

To Adam He told of thee.

2. Eve's weakness is thy strength.

Angels are enraptured before thee.

The Blessed bow down before thee.

Michael is thy Captain.

Gabriel thy Messenger.

Raphael thy Healer.

Angels and Saints feast on thy beauty.

Delight of God,

Peerless Mary,

Thy face is heavenly beauty.

3. Straight Way without spot,

Beautiful flower of every perfume,

Heavenly rose, whose beauty draws all.

Choicest and rarest flower of the Father's Garden;

Tended by His angels.

Gentle Mary, Loving Mary.

Heavenly wind,

Spring rain,

Blinding Light that overcasts the sun.

Mightier than the mountains.

4. Greater than the seas.

The sun is thy chariot,

The moon and stars thy playthings

The clouds skip like lambs around thy feet.

The works of His hands are subject to thee;

For thou art His Beloved

Who rulest from the Trinity.

Beauty that captivates all hearts.

Light that dispels all darkness,

Mary, whiter than the snows.

5. Envy of the fallen prince.

Satan fears thee and awaits for thy heel;

He alone fears thee, for he never knew thee.

Thy name is a scourge that scars him more than fire.

The lost one in the pit groans;

His throne rocked at thy coming.

The beauty of thy countenance fills him with terror.

He flies before thee; he fears the Light.

Mary, thou art terrible in battle.

Hell trembles at thy name.

6. Thunder and Lightning to the bottomless pit.

Destroyer of the Evil One's kingdom.

Angels waited on thy word.

The heavens were hushed.

At thy consent angels sang hymns of great joy.

The Father Eternal smiled on thee.

The Son became thine own.

The Divine Spirit took thee unto Himself

Silent Mary, the Holy Spirit spoke through thee.

Elisabeth proclaimed thee.

7. All men claim thee.

All peoples bless thy name.

Broken-hearted Mary at the Cross.

You saw the rabble mock thy Son.

You saw the lance open His side.

You saw them cast dice for His garments.

You who care for all, could not give him to drink, when He cried, I thirst.

He gave thee to us as our Mother. You saw Him die.

You knew He was God.

8. Crimson rose of heavenly fragrance.

Our birthright, lost through Eve's disobedience, was restored through thee.

From thy pure blood a stream has arisen that pours over the earth,
Cleansing and healing our sin stained souls and paying our ransom.

From thy pure flesh was made Food for us who know thy Son.

Beautiful Mary, you raised women to a new dignity.

Adam's Fall did not stain thee.

Thy body did not know corruption.

Peaceful sleep fell upon thee.

Thy feet rested on the wings of angels.

9. In their hands they carried thee.

The heavens opened to thee.

You reign with thy Son.

He placed the Scepter in thy hand.

The world He made thy footstool, Who rulest with love.

The thrones of the great shall fall before thee.

Woe to them that shall raise themselves against thee, to mock thee.

He Who made thee, and came from thee, shall meet them as the bear robbed of her young.

Woe to them in that day, when he comes: For He guards thee as the apple of His eye.

10. Thou, His creature; in thee He saw Perfection.

He glories in thee; the work of His hands.

As the Faithful Bridegroom, He is jealous if they hurt thee.

Spotless Maid of Nazareth, humble unknown;

The humble and the little ones know thee and bless thee.

The Angels in choir sing thy praises at God's Throne.

We thy children, poor, weak and sinful, sing thy praises.

all men shall call thee blessed.

Peoples of many colors shall sing thy praises.

In strange tongues they shall call

thee: Light of Dawn.

11. For thy Son is at hand.

Strange men, who live not as men, shall know thee;

And find shelter beneath thy mantle.

Fierce warriors shall become as little children,

and grasp thy girdle,

Their daughters shall cover their heads with thy veil,

and live by thy example.

From the high mountains and from the valley they shall follow thee, from the plains and from the deserts.

You come, not as the triumphant warrior in terrible array ,

But as the gentle Mother calling, calling thy children to thee.

He has filled thee with wisdom.

12. You speak in divers tongues.

All thy children know thy voice.

Dove of God: Thy voice is sweeter than the thrush and the lark.

Angels stay their journey to hear thee.

Your words are sweeter than honey.

Your eyes are beautiful and gentle.

We have no fear of thee.

We love thee, Mary, we love thee, we love thee.

0 Mary, beautiful, life-giving Mary.

Our joy, our Hope in our sorrows.

I3. Our eyes and hearts are lifted to thee.

Hear us, thy children who cry to thee.

You hear the cry of your children;

You, their Mother, will hasten to help.

You gladden the hearts that mourn.

You dry the eyes that weep.

Mother of the widow and orphan.

Safe home to the outcast.

The mighty and lowly find peace before thee.

Thy smile is peace.

14. Medicine and healing herbs to the sick.

Sweetness in the bitterness of life.

Light to those who travel by land and sea.

Virtue to the innocent.

Flame to kindle the clean of heart.

Faithful Shepherdess, who guards the sheep and lambs.

The Promised Land, overflowing with milk and honey.

Sweet spices and heavenly perfumes that purify,

sweeter than the honeycomb.

Glory of women.

15. Healer of men.

Sight to the blind.

Hearing to the deaf.

Speech to the dumb.

Cool, life-giving waters to the thirsty.

Food and drink to the weary.

Whose breasts feed all men.

Thy children call to thee.

Heavenly Guide to the traveler,

0 Mary, our Mother, lead us home.

0 Mary, when our eyes close in our last sleep, and open to behold thy Son, the just judge, and the Angel opens the Book, and the Enemy accuses us; in that terrible hour, come to our aid. Be with us. When death came to Joseph, you and your Son were with him: Thy Son to judge; thou to console. 0 Happy Joseph! When death comes for us, be near us.

0 Mary, when we are held captive in the place of atonement; plead for us, and visit us, that ewe may find consolation in thy presence. Stretch forth thy hand to help us; deliver us from our bondage. We are thy children: Thou art our Mother. As little children we come to thee; we know no fear.

0 Mary, He changed water into wine for thee, even as He said: My hour has not yet come. Now He would not refuse thee, when you plead for us thy children.

O Mary, come quickly to our aid.

Do not let us stray from the Fold,

The wolf is waiting to destroy us.

There shall be neither night nor day to thy praises.

Adoration to the Father who created thee!

Adoration to the Son Who took flesh from thee!

Adoration to the Holy Spirit, thy Divine Spouse!

Three in One,

One in Three.

Equal in all things.

To Him be glory for ever.

For ever.

For ever. Amen.

------------
------------

Anyone have any idea why the RCC made this guy a saint when he gives things of Jesus to Mary?

This is very confusing as the RCC claims to check people out so carefully, before they 'saint' them.

This is something i posted in GT, and noone disagreed with it, i don't understand it at all.

Upvote 0

Cright

Veteran
Apr 18, 2004
SE Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟17,849.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
repoland2 said:

I also keep the "Christian" icon because I want to be known 1st as a follower of Christ 2nd as a Baptist.

I ONLY debate in this my "home forum", if I happen to poke my nose into the non-denom thread I ONLY fellowship there, never debate.

If you want to have full privlidges in this room (as I understand it) you need to either change your icon or add the name of your Baptist church in your profile and consider this room your home.

:wave:
Carina

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lambslove said:
Here is a perfect example:
http://www.christianforums.com/t1290284-eternal-fate-of-our-protestant-brothers-and-sisters.html

They don't say protestants ARE saved, they say they can be saved, if they have the right relationship with the catholic church. We believe that it is our relationship with Christ that saves us, but they believe it is their relationship with their church that saves them. Since we don't have a relationship with their church and don't want to be members of of their church, we are considered to be in rebellion and therefore lost. Only if we agree to the magisterium of their church and actively desire to become members, can we be saved.
The link you provided i am going to assume is in OBOB and since I make it my practice not to go there if I can help it, I will take your word for the content of the discussion.

Catechism of the Catholic Church : Wounds to Unity
818 "However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church. "272

838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."324

Anyway like i said, some may be so bold as to say we are not in communion with them (this fine with me by the way it matters not to me what they think) or that our souls are in jeopardy but this is not in keeping with the teachings of their very own church in Vatican II, or with Jesus the Christ. There are some who feel that Vatican II was a mistake, that we are all damned outside of their denomination. They are welcome to their opinion, but opinions are like... well you know everybody has one.

Now there are some very rude, and love challenged people in this forum as well as in the OBOB forum. I am sometimes embarrassed by the way some people are treated with kid gloves in here while others are treated with iron fists. I choose not to visit the OBOB forum because of a few people that I feel are abrasive and rude. I think we should set a better example and treat others better than they treat us. Sound good?

That being said, who cares what anyone (OBOB or otherwise) outside of our faith thinks about our relationship with the Christ? If someone feels I am not in the "fullness of the truth", I usually tell them to bugger off (in a Christlike manner of course ;) ). We have spent far too much time worrying about what others think, and not enough time acting as Jesus did.

I consider everyone who is following the Christ and following what He said (love God love others), members of the Christian faith. If they do not consider me the same, so what? What do I care? What is that to me? I will still love them as I was commanded to. It is my relationship with the Christ that counts, and to fellowship with Him means loving even those who revile me.

Reactions: jenptcfan
Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Darnit! I spend half an hour editting this post and it won't let me edit this and it left some important stuff out! I have to go to work now but I will work on fixing this again when I come home later.

Suffice it to say that when you dig into catholic doctrine and catechism, it does say that we are to be considered brothers in the Lord, but that those of us outside the catholic communion, in churches that are not part of the episcopate system, are NOT saved.

Read http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000806_dominus-iesus_en.html

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p3.htm#830

and

The doctrine of "extra ecclesiam nulla salus" (outside the Church there is no salvation) is considered infallible doctrine.

This from the most recent catechism:

"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

This is from a commentary on the most recent Catechism:

335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body: Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

From the vatican's own website:

<SPAN lang=IT style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; LETTER-SPACING: -0.15pt">17. Therefore, there exists a single Church of Christ, which subsists in the Catholic Church, governed by the Successor of Peter and by the Bishops in communion with him.58 The Churches which, while not existing in perfect communion with the Catholic Church, remain united to her by means of the closest bonds, that is, by apostolic succession and a valid Eucharist, are true particular Churches.59 Therefore, the Church of Christ is present and operative also in these Churches, even though they lack full communion with the Catholic Church, since they do not accept the Catholic doctrine of the Primacy, which, according to the will of God, the Bishop of Rome objectively has and exercises over the entire Church.60

Upvote 0

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
GreenEyedLady said:
Baptist only please.

GEL
Thank you!

As ksen pointed out, Sedevacantists wrote that page and they reject Vatican II which impacted a lot of what Catholicism is today. Vatican II (1965) made dramatic changes to the Catholic perspective of non-Catholics, which many Sedevacantists reject.

So the link above is an accurate portrayal of the views of Sedevacantists and possibly some older traditional Catholics. It is not a complete portrayal of the current official position of the Catholic church and its members.

Using this essay to represent Catholics is like using an essay from a Free Will Baptist to point out the flaws in the soteriology of Reformed Baptists.

Upvote 0

Cright

Veteran
Apr 18, 2004
SE Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟17,849.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(from the CCC on www.vatican.va)
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p3.htm

The Church and non-Christians

839 "Those who have not yet received the Gospel are related to the People of God in various ways."325

The relationship of the Church with the Jewish People. When she delves into her own mystery, the Church, the People of God in the New Covenant, discovers her link with the Jewish People,326 "the first to hear the Word of God."327 The Jewish faith, unlike other non-Christian religions, is already a response to God's revelation in the Old Covenant. To the Jews "belong the sonship, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and of their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ",328 "for the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable."329

840And when one considers the future, God's People of the Old Covenant and the new People of God tend towards similar goals: expectation of the coming (or the return) of the Messiah. But one awaits the return of the Messiah who died and rose from the dead and is recognized as Lord and Son of God; the other awaits the coming of a Messiah, whose features remain hidden till the end of time; and the latter waiting is accompanied by the drama of not knowing or of misunderstanding Christ Jesus.

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."330

842 The Church's bond with non-Christian religions is in the first place the common origin and end of the human race:

All nations form but one community. This is so because all stem from the one stock which God created to people the entire earth, and also because all share a common destiny, namely God. His providence, evident goodness, and saving designs extend to all against the day when the elect are gathered together in the holy city. . .331

843 The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as "a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life."332

844 In their religious behavior, however, men also display the limits and errors that disfigure the image of God in them:

Very often, deceived by the Evil One, men have become vain in their reasonings, and have exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and served the creature rather than the Creator. Or else, living and dying in this world without God, they are exposed to ultimate despair.333

845 To reunite all his children, scattered and led astray by sin, the Father willed to call the whole of humanity together into his Son's Church. The Church is the place where humanity must rediscover its unity and salvation. The Church is "the world reconciled." She is that bark which "in the full sail of the Lord's cross, by the breath of the Holy Spirit, navigates safely in this world." According to another image dear to the Church Fathers, she is prefigured by Noah's ark, which alone saves from the flood.334

"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337

848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

-----------------------------------------------------

I turned the text different colors in places I would like to address.

I want to build a case so that anyone that might read this post that is Catholic will see that I'm not bashing them when I make comments, and so they can look to see that the places I got my information are completely valid.

In the purple (845) it says that God wants to reunite all of his people. and the church is the world reconsiled. This is plain and simply... wrong... God does want us all saved, but we have to choose Him.. He knows we won't all choose Him. He knows that some of us will end up in hell for eternity. He knows the WORLD won't be reconsiled. (is there anything in revelation that I've missed that someone would get this idea from??)

James 4:4-6 You adulterous people, don't you knwo that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reasion that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensley? But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

In the green (846) Here we'd have to look for the defination of the church they are referring to... is it the people who are the body that make up the church? Or is it the leaders (pope, councils, magisterium) that make up the church? It seems to me they are referring to the latter.

Either way, it is saying here if you REFUSE to enter or REFUSE to remain in it (like me, I was born Catholic and left the Catholic church about 2 years ago) then salvation is out of your reach. By their defination I am therefore going to hell.

In the Dark Red (847) This shows that all of those NOT born/raised Catholic that don't know of the "One True Church" still have the possibility of being saved. They will be judged on their works/heart by God and he may/maynot let them in on judgement day. This includes Muslims, Jews and others that believe in the true God in the "wrong" way. This also includes people who have never head the gosple message at all. Because God in his infinate wisdom knows if a person had head the message if they would have accepted it or not and can decided their fate on judgement day.

Finally to comment on the link GEL posted...

I find that article to be consistant with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
This is one of the reasons that the Orthodox and Catholic church split, because the Orthodox felt that was an unOrthodox teaching. It's one of the reasons Luther posted his thesis. These things were not done in rebellion to the "one true church" these things were done in rebellion of FLASE TEACHINGS. These things were done to try to help others to learn of the grace of God, which becomes useless if we can work our way to salvation!

This is one of the (many) reasons that I no longer call myself Catholic! To me it seems almost cultish to say the only way to God is a man-made way. Christ doesn't NEED us for anything. Saying that God NEEDS anything is unbiblical, let alone that he might need from US lowly sinners?! He's perfect! com'on!

Side note... It really makes me sad :cry: to see so many threads that speak against our Christian brothers and sisters. I wanted to write to address this subject because it's very close to me. My entire family is Catholic. I was Catholic. I was saved as a Catholic (just didn't understand the entire concept) since I leaned "was saved, am saved, will be saved" theory. When I write about Catholic dogma's these days, I ALWAYS look up what I'm about to talk about in the bible and the CCC first. I hope this thread will help us to have a learning discussion about why our brothers and sisters believe what they do. I hope this thread will be a good witness to those who check in on us.. so that they can identify this as a learning thread were we learn maybe how to witness to them and not a thread that insults their beliefs.

In Him,
Carina

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

repoland2

Feb 20, 2005
Alaska - USA
✟8,128.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Cright said:
I also keep the "Christian" icon because I want to be known 1st as a follower of Christ 2nd as a Baptist.

I ONLY debate in this my "home forum", if I happen to poke my nose into the non-denom thread I ONLY fellowship there, never debate.

If you want to have full privlidges in this room (as I understand it) you need to either change your icon or add the name of your Baptist church in your profile and consider this room your home.

:wave:
Carina

Amazing... I suddenly feel alienated.

Well, so be it. As I had said I can respect that. I would be denying myself if I just changed my icon to post in the baptist thread. It feels weird, because I used to call myself baptist too. Never been denied access to it though...:(

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://www.answers.com/topic/extra-ecclesiam-nulla-salus
Pope Innocent III, A.D. 1198-1216: "One indeed is the universal Church of the faithful, outside which no one at all is saved." (IV Lateran Council, A.D. 1215)

Pope Boniface VIII, A.D. 1294-1303: "We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is wholly necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff. The Lateran, November 14th, in our eighth year. As a perpetual memorial of this matter." (Unam Sanctam, A.D. 1302)

Pope Eugene IV, A.D. 1431-1447: "It (the Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church) firmly believes, professes, and proclaims that none of those outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but neither Jews, or heretics and schismatics, can become participants in eternal life, but will depart "into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels" Matt. 25:41], unless before the end of life they have been added to the Church; and that the unity of the ecclesiastical body is so strong that only to those abiding in it are the sacraments of the Church of benefit for salvation, and do fastings, almsgiving, and other functions of piety and exercises of Christian service produce eternal reward, and that no one, whatever almsgiving he has practised, even if he has shed (his) blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he has abided in the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church." (Council of Florence, A.D. 1442)

--------

Pretty good article on it here:
http://sxws.com/charis/questions-2.htm

For more than a millennium, the RCC held and enforced the dogma that there was no salvation outside the Catholic Church. Then, in high ecumenical spirit, she does a one-eighty and now declares that not only is membership in the RCC not a requirement for salvation but that one need not even know of the Gospel or Jesus Christ. That's a BIG change. In fact, it is nothing less than a reversal of something we are told is immutable. Not to worry, Catholicism has an explanation:

"Dogmas, as divine truths revealed by God, are eternal and unchangeable. This is why a dogma can never be "re-defined." Yet, in this work you will notice that most of these dogmas have been solemnly defined and/or pronounced more than once. These are not "re-definitions." Rather, they are further definitions and/or clarifications which buttress aspects of a dogma that have come under some form of denial or attack. The content of these denials/attacks was often not anticipated in the preceeding pronouncements. Hence, each further definition is a MORE PRECISE definition of the dogma. It is never the opposite. It is never an expansion or widening, and thus changing, of what the dogma holds. It is never an evolution as to the content and substance of a dogma. The reason this is so is, again, because dogmas are immutable. Truth cannot change." (Adam S. Miller, Op. cit., p. 3)(Emphasis not in original)

So, a dogma can be made more precise but it cannot be changed or reversed. Sure seems to me that going from extra ecclesiam nulla salus to making provision for the unbaptized and those who do not believe in Jesus Christ nor have heard the Gospel is very definitely a reversal. And this once more points out the futility of looking to any manmade system of religiosity for authoritative doctrine. Men change. God does not change, and His Sacred Scriptures are ever reliable and authoritative.

------------

from Catholic Answers:
http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0403sbs.asp

"We don’t know what God will do for those outside the Church, so it’s best not to presume to judge. We can only hope and pray that God will have mercy on them. That’s why I said that the Catholic Church’s position on this matter is not contradictory. On the one hand, we know that the usual and expected means of salvation is being united with Christ (cf. Rom. 6:1–5), but we also know from the Bible that "the Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love" (Ps. 103:8). We hope that those who, through no fault of their own, never know the gospel in a conscious way may be united to Christ in a way known only to God. We believe that God is sovereign and loving. He will judge people according to their knowledge. If they live in a way that accords with their best knowledge of God, we trust that he will be merciful to them."

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
repoland2 said:
Amazing... I suddenly feel alienated.

Well, so be it. As I had said I can respect that. I would be denying myself if I just changed my icon to post in the baptist thread. It feels weird, because I used to call myself baptist too. Never been denied access to it though...:(
I hate these rules myself but without them there would be chaos in here and in the other sections.

Sorry dude, I have been in that position you are in now, and it sucks.

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cright said:
Side note... It really makes me sad :cry: to see so many threads that speak against our Christian brothers and sisters. I wanted to write to address this subject because it's very close to me. My entire family is Catholic. I was Catholic. I was saved as a Catholic (just didn't understand the entire concept) since I leaned "was saved, am saved, will be saved" theory. When I write about Catholic dogma's these days, I ALWAYS look up what I'm about to talk about in the bible and the CCC first. I hope this thread will help us to have a learning discussion about why our brothers and sisters believe what they do. I hope this thread will be a good witness to those who check in on us.. so that they can identify this as a learning thread were we learn maybe how to witness to them and not a thread that insults their beliefs.

In Him,
Carina
I agree with you Carina.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.