Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by PrinceJeff
We all hate fundies right? Well one gets lampooned here:
http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/wayofstrife/ Enjoy!
:D

Two questions Jeff. First, what's a "fundie?" And second, how is saying that you "hate" them edifying in any way to any Christian that comes to this board?

Bad choice of words.

God bless.

Upvote 0
Webster's says this:

1 a often capitalized : a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching b : the beliefs of this movement c : adherence to such beliefs

It may seem harmless at face value, but the true spirit of a fundamentalist is hatred, legalism, and pride. "Fundie" is simply an affectionate abbreviation.

And I rephrase, I do not hate them, just their methods.

Bad choice of words? Nah.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching b : the beliefs of this movement c : adherence to such beliefs

So you don't think the literally interpreted Bible is a fundamental part of Christian life and teaching? Or is it just the "literal" portion of the definition that you take issue with?

It may seem harmless at face value, but the true spirit of a fundamentalist is hatred, legalism, and pride.

It's these types of blanket statements that do so much to harm the cohesive brotherhood of Christianity. Just because someone doesn't share your beliefs and feels that there should be an emphasis on "literally interpreting the Bible as being fundemental to Christian life and teaching" doesn't make them fall into your preconcieved notions of "fundamentalism."

"Fundie" is simply an affectionate abbreviation.

In some contexts maybe. In yours, quite obviously not meant in a harmless, "affectionate" manner.

What methods is it that you feel in some way the need to form such strong opinions about? Regardless of how you reword this, the point I was making was that the impression you give to anyone who relates to the term "fundamentalist" is that you think it's perfectly acceptable to start a derrogatory thread about a group of people because they have a different viewpoint. I would think that Catholics, of all people on this board, should be fully aware of the destructive repercussions of these types of threads.

Bad choice of words? Most definitely. How about you reword them in a spirit keeping with the brotherly love you feel for your "non-Catholic" brethren who might be offended at such a thread?

God bless.

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I appreciate a good laugh like most people do. There's some websites out there that are anti-Catholic that I snicker at (Jack Chick's cartoon drawings, while offensive, do draw a chuckle or two from me).

While I'm sure the post was made as a goodwill gesture towards Catholics (since this is a Catholic forum) to give them a laugh at the Fundamentalist movement that is often times blamed for attacking Catholicism, I say with conviction that you will have to look hard to find a Catholic who sincerely "hates" a Fundamentalist. I work with a few Fundamentalists who think it is their God given duty to point out the errors of my ways and save me. Yes, it is annoying but no, I do not hate them.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2002
Alabama
✟23,450.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Webster's says this:

1 a often capitalized : a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching b : the beliefs of this movement c : adherence to such beliefs

It may seem harmless at face value, but the true spirit of a fundamentalist is hatred, legalism, and pride. "Fundie" is simply an affectionate abbreviation.

i'm considered a "fundie" by a lot of people around my area mostly because i stick to the teachings of the Bible. as to the "true spirit" of a fundamentalist that hurts. it's not true. :cry: i'm not one to walk up to someone, point at them and announce "you're wrong!"

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I think Jeff said what he did with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, mainly because Jeff is not Catholic, but Baptist. It's kinda like Wols calling himself a Mackerel Snapper or a Papist, a little lighthearted humor to ease the tension. :)

I find that the people on the fringe make it harder on the rest of us to get along. You can believe what you want to belive without getting angry when others disagree.

When someone gets angry when I disagree with them, it makes me wonder whether they are concerned about my relationship with my Creator, or being right and winning an argument.

God Bless,

Neal

Upvote 0

Clay

Clay in the Potter's Hand
Feb 6, 2002
New Hampshire
Visit site
✟1,755.00
Faith
Protestant
but is it right to make light of a group of Christians? regardless of what their doctrinal stance are, they are brethern in Christ and if some of them wont extend the hand of good faith, it should be up to us to stick it out first no matter how some are treated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and everyone wondered why i left this forum in the first place........:rolleyes:

Strange...I thought you recognized your ungodly perspective on things and actually left because of a need to "reorganize your life." :scratch: At least that's what you said. Maybe your perspective regarding this board hasn't really changed after all.

I pray that it does. I also pray that instead of getting defensive about valid chastisement you recognize that those that have posted thus far in a way that you take issue with are only doing so because we care about you.

God bless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.