Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Perhaps you neglect that a cancer within a human being is alive and 100% human. It too consists of human cells, so what you say proves nothing.

Ok, "nothing" is not "almost nothing," it is a bit of an exaggeration. But the supposed "human" is so much nothing it is not even visible to the naked eye. It is nothing like human beings as you and I know them, it is nothing like a real human animal.

You are not equating apples and oranges. You are equating bananas and cannon balls. A cancer cell is an un-natural fusion of a human cell, which is only a part of a human anyway, with something that is distinctly not human.

But a fertilized egg is a distinct human individual. It is not only both human and living. It is also both completely natural and 100% human. But it is not a part of a human it is an entire human organism. And it is a distinct individual, unlike any other living human.

So it is not only unquestionably alive and unquestionably human. It is also a complete organism, separate and distinct from every other living human being.

And the things I am pointing out are not just opinions. They are unquestionable facts, that simply cannot be logically debated.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A cancer cell is an un-natural fusion of a human cell, which is only a part of a human anyway, with something that is distinctly not human.
We have truly entered the bizarre if this has to be explained but you did so well.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
So the idea that we have things in our nature (that we are born with) which we cannot possibly have "learned" by observation, tells us where is that stored in "cells"?

The answer is, in our genes. We inherit those "things in our nature" that do not need to learn, like for instance breathing. EVERY CELL has a complete gene package.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
what else will this sperm and egg turn into other than a human being?

what will cease it's development from becoming a human being?

Answer: abortion - it is a rather well-known fact it stops the development from becoming a human being.
Interesting to note that in that case it NEVER was a human being.

I.e. the answer is that OFTEN fertilized eggs are sloughed off, dumped out of the body (menstruation) through "natural abortion"; any miscarriage turns "this sperm and egg" into garbage.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I will be glad to answer your question if you answer mine, which you did not. When inquiring of a mother to be do you hear people say, "So how are you and the "baby" doing?" or "So how are you and the 'fetus' doing?"
You understand that common usage often differs from precisely accurate terminology, right?

Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You understand that common usage often differs from precisely accurate terminology, right?
Yet another question? If this is going to be a dialog by which we can substantively debate then please answer the opening question I posed. I have linked it below in case you forgot. Thanks

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Answer: abortion - it is a rather well-known fact it stops the development from becoming a human being.

This is simply not a fact at all. It is only an often repeated lie.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
If it has neurons bouncing around in it's head, and blood pumping through it's heart, it's a living soul.

So you would call a mouse a "living soul" would you?

Heart and brain and their accouterments are PHYSICAL things - usually a "soul" is considered immaterial and that it survives death. Not what neurons and blood are.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Douglas, you may want to change your handle to, "Douglas, Begging the Question, Hendrickson" because that's basically what you do in every-single-post. The point of this topic I believe was to discuss what kind of life we have at conception. You are consistently repeating, without any actual argument in its favor, that there exists a distinction between a human being and a human person, or as you like to call them, "human life" and "a human life".

All the medical and scientific evidence is in disagreement with the position that you hold.

Dr. Jerome LeJeune, professor of genetics at the University of Descartes in Paris, was the discoverer of the chromosome pattern of Down syndrome. He said, “after fertilization has taken place a new human being has come into being.” He stated that this “is no longer a matter of taste or opinion,” and “not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence.” He added, “Each individual has a very neat beginning, at conception.”

Professor Micheline Matthews-Roth, Harvard University Medical School: “It is incorrect to say that biological data cannot be decisive…. It is scientifically correct to say that an individual human life begins at conception…. Our laws, one function of which is to help preserve the lives of our people, should be based on accurate scientific data.”

Dr. Watson A. Bowes, University of Colorado Medical School: “The beginning of a single human life is from a biological point of view a simple and straightforward matter—the beginning is conception. This straightforward biological fact should not be distorted to serve sociological, political, or economic goals.”

Ashley Montague, a geneticist and professor at Harvard and Rutgers, is unsympathetic to the prolife cause. Nevertheless, he affirms unequivocally, “The basic fact is simple: life begins not at birth, but conception.

I honestly find it disturbing that we actually have to engage in debate over when a new human physically comes into existence. The answer is simple, known, factual - it's at conception. Period.

So that's point 1 - acknowledge that new human life begins at conception.

Point 2 - acknowledge the Biblical uniqueness and moral worth of each individual human. This also, for us on this Christian forum, should be easy. I believe that we all agree that God has uniquely created each of us. That humans are alone in creation as the only creatures created in the Image of God. All human possess innate and inherent moral worth. It is at all times immoral to take the life of an innocent human.

Points 1 and 2 should be non-issues for Christians.

The only reason that there is a debate over abortion is because humans have subjectively and arbitrarily created a distinction that does not exist either in science or in Scripture with regards to the nature of humans. We have subjectively and arbitrarily determined that there is a difference between a human being and a human person. Or as Douglas would say, between human life and a human being. This distinction is arbitrary and subjective.

I've asked this before, but nobody seems to want to address it.

Armour, I specifically asked you the following since you make the arbitrary jump from human being to human person as consciousness:

1. Can you find anything in Scripture which would indicate a distinction between a human being and a human person?

2. What is the purpose behind creating a distinction between a human being and a human person?

3. By what objective measure do you determine that the transition from a human being to a human person is consciousness? How is that distinction not subjective and arbitrarily determined? Meaning, what gives you the authority to create a distinction between a human being and a human person?

Douglas, you said to someone that unless there is flesh and blood it is not a human. Does this mean you think the human life becomes a human being at around the 11 week mark when there is a beating heart and skin?

Also, you ignored my other question: you seem to be saying that the newly formed human life isn't a human person because it hasn't reached a certain level of development. On what authority are you able to determine at what level of human development that a human life becomes a human being? Do you have some Biblical or scientific argument? Or is this theory just made up on your own?

What I simply cannot come to understand is why there is any desire at all on our part to create a distinction between a human being and a human person. There is nothing biologically or biblically which would drive us to do so. The only reason that I can think of that we would want to create a distinction between a human being and a human person would be so that we could perform some action against a human being that we would otherwise consider immoral. Can anyone dispute that?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Douglas, you may want to change your handle to, "Douglas, Begging the Question, Hendrickson" because that's basically what you do in every-single-post. The point of this topic I believe was to discuss what kind of life we have at conception. You are consistently repeating, without any actual argument in its favor, that there exists a distinction between a human being and a human person, or as you like to call them, "human life" and "a hus at the University of Descartes in Paris, was the discoverer of the chromosome pattern of Down syndrome. He said, “after fertilization has taken place a new human being has come into being.” He stated that this “is no longer a matter of taste or opinion,” and “not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence.” He added, “Each individual has a very neat beginning, at conception.”

Professor Micheline Matthews-Roth, Harvard University Medical School: “It is incorrect to say that biological data cannot be decisive…. It is scientifically correct to say that an individual human life begins at conception…. Our laws, one function of which is to help preserve the lives of our people, should be based on accurate scientific data.”

Dr. Watson A. Bowes, University of Colorado Medical School: “The beginning of a single human life is from a biological point of view a simple and straightforward matter—the beginning is conception. This straightforward biological fact should not be distorted to serve sociological, political, or economic goals.”

Ashley Montague, a geneticist and professor at Harvard and Rutgers, is unsympathetic to the prolife cause. Nevertheless, he affirms unequivocally, “The basic fact is simple: life begins not at birth, but conception.

I honestly find it disturbing that we actually have to engage in debate over when a new human physically comes into existence. The answer is simple, known, factual - it's at conception. Period.

So that's point 1 - acknowledge that new human life begins at conception.

Point 2 - acknowledge the Biblical uniqueness and moral worth of each individual human. This also, for us on this Christian forum, should be easy. I believe that we all agree that God has uniquely created each of us. That humans are alone in creation as the only creatures created in the Image of God. All human possess innate and inherent moral worth. It is at all times immoral to take the life of an innocent human.

Points 1 and 2 should be non-issues for Christians.

The only reason that there is a debate over abortion is because humans have subjectively and arbitrarily created a distinction that does not exist either in science or in Scripture with regards to the nature of humans. We have subjectively and arbitrarily determined that there is a difference between a human being and a human person. Or as Douglas would say, between human life and a human being. This distinction is arbitrary and subjective.

I've asked this before, but nobody seems to want to address it.

Armour, I specifically asked you the following since you make the arbitrary jump from human being to human person as consciousness:

1. Can you find anything in Scripture which would indicate a distinction between a human being and a human person?

2. What is the purpose behind creating a distinction between a human being and a human person?

3. By what objective measure do you determine that the transition from a human being to a human person is consciousness? How is that distinction not subjective and arbitrarily determined? Meaning, what gives you the authority to create a distinction between a human being and a human person?

Douglas, you said to someone that unless there is flesh and blood it is not a human. Does this mean you think the human life becomes a human being at around the 11 week mark when there is a beating heart and skin?

Also, you ignored my other question: you seem to be saying that the newly formed human life isn't a human person because it hasn't reached a certain level of development. On what authority are you able to determine at what level of human development that a human life becomes a human being? Do you have some Biblical or scientific argument? Or is this theory just made up on your own?

What I simply cannot come to understand is why there is any desire at all on our part to create a distinction between a human being and a human person. There is nothing biologically or biblically which would drive us to do so. The only reason that I can think of that we would want to create a distinction between a human being and a human person would be so that we could perform some action against a human being that we would otherwise consider immoral. Can anyone dispute that?

I probably SHOULD ignore your questions when you begin with such slander, so falsely indicating my position.
You start with a personal attack, which may I remind you is not to be done in these pages!

I never once indicated I think there is a difference between a "human person" and "human being." In fact, I am pretty sure I explicitly denied such a distinction at least once in this thread. You begin and end with this FALSE DISTINCTION attributed to others.

So your entire attack on me is based on FALSITY, falsity of your fabrication.
You say later in this post: "subjectively and arbitrarily determined that there is a difference between a human being and a human person. Or as Douglas would say, between human life and a human being. This distinction is arbitrary and subjective."
Not the same distinction. What I would say, and did say, as you say, is correct - there is a vast difference between "human life" and "a human being." A human being could be referred to as "a human life," but that is NOT the same thing as "human life." Someone's arm is "human life," it consists of cells that are human and alive. It is certainly not a person. It is that distinction I refer to, not the one you fabricate.

And your "appeals to authority," your supposed "science," is their unfounded claims, their (whether ignorantly or deliberate "pro-life" intent) introduction of terms like "individual" that suggest (and you take to mean) personhood when there is no grounds for such a conclusion. They beg the question, in other words.
So two very big LOGICAL FALLACIES in your "medical and scientific evidence." (Over and above the fact they present no evidence!)
Begging the question, and appeal to authority.

You say: "Douglas, you said to someone that unless there is flesh and blood it is not a human. Does this mean you think the human life becomes a human being at around the 11 week mark when there is a beating heart and skin?"
It means very simply that the idea of "a human being at conception" makes no sense. It says nothing about what happens later in pregnancy. On it's basis anyone who wants to discuss rationally will not continue to claim there is a human being when there is no blood and guts. That is what I said, that is what I mean.
By the way, you ARE ABLE here to correctly indicate the distinction I make when you say "the human life becomes a human being...." If you simply obliterate that distinction, do not recognize it elsewhere, you are begging the question. THE ENTIRE QUESTION IS WHEN "HUMAN LIFE" BECOMES "A HUMAN BEING." (Please note again this statement does not involve the expression "a human life.")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Douglas, would it be correct then to summarize your position as following: "A new human life begins at conception, but that human life does not become a human being until it reaches X in it's developmental growth."

Is that basically what you're saying? If it is, can you tell me what X is, and on what authority you are able to come to such a conclusion?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Douglas, would it be correct then to summarize your position as following: "A new human life begins at conception, but that human life does not become a human being until it reaches X in it's developmental growth."

Is that basically what you're saying? If it is, can you tell me what X is, and on what authority you are able to come to such a conclusion?

NO. There is "human life" at conception. Not a human life. What is "new" there is genetics (and not "life"), information that determines the how and what the construction, the building of a human being will be, if it continues.
There is ONE CELL THAT IS HUMAN AND ALIVE.

ONE CELL (and invisible even), does not make a human being, is not a real animal. Are you able to understand that?(There are one-celled animals, but they are NOT human beings!)

The vast changes at birth are probably what you are mostly wanting me to indicate, what constitute the coming into existence of an animal being. Actual functioning of the animal is what begins at birth - usable eyes, mouth, lungs (breath of life), digestion, elimination, self animation as in moving about on the earth, not in aquatic total darkness total imprisonment.
A real animal, for sure not a mere cell that is only information, only the genetic "map."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ok let me try again. Douglas, would it be correct to summarize your position as following: "New human life begins at conception, but that human life does not become a human being until it reaches X in it's developmental growth, where X represents its birth from the womb."

If the above is incorrect, please let me know what I'm still missing. Basically, if I'm not understanding your position correctly then I am not able to ask any relevant questions.

Do you agree that humankind is unique amongst all of God's creation and that we alone are created in His Image? Further, do you agree that all human beings possess innate and inherent moral worth on account that they are created in the image of God?

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I.e. the answer is that OFTEN fertilized eggs are sloughed off, dumped out of the body (menstruation) through "natural abortion"; any miscarriage turns "this sperm and egg" into garbage.

this is incorrect.

abortion doesn't stop an egg that has been fertilized and conceived from becoming a human being. it stops a human being in their earliest stages of development from developing further in that the person is killed.

same with miscarriages. nothing more than an untimely death.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Ok let me try again. Douglas, would it be correct to summarize your position as following: "New human life begins at conception, but that human life does not become a human being until it reaches X in it's developmental growth, where X represents its birth from the womb."

If the above is incorrect, please let me know what I'm still missing. Basically, if I'm not understanding your position correctly then I am not able to ask any relevant questions.

Do you agree that humankind is unique amongst all of God's creation and that we alone are created in His Image? Further, do you agree that all human beings possess innate and inherent moral worth on account that they are created in the image of God?

I do appreciate your simple and clear request for clarification.
When you speak of "human life," I guess one can take from the context that that is in a womb (or thereabouts at conception), but it really requires that sort of indication to be precisely correct. "New human life" depends on what you pack into the "new"; at conception there is one human cell that is new in the sense of containing unique genetic information. Whether you are going to say that is a human life (false if meaning "a human being"), or merely what we know for sure, that it is "human life" in the sense that it is a human cell and it is alive like most cells in any alive human being body, which of those you say makes a great deal of difference.

I do agree with the suggestions of your last paragraph.
And further to that, I am pretty sure the "image of God" is much more than some single (invisible) cell!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
this is incorrect.

abortion doesn't stop an egg that has been fertilized and conceived from becoming a human being. it stops a human being in their earliest stages of development from developing further in that the person is killed.

same with miscarriages. nothing more than an untimely death.

Your saying so don't make it so!
This is merely the claim "it is a human being," nothing to substantiate that claim.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Your saying so don't make it so!
This is merely the claim "it is a human being," nothing to substantiate that claim.

I suppose you don't care for what scripture has to say about this?

luke 1:15
exodus 21:22-24
psalms 139:13

God's Word recognizes human beings in the womb. when a women finds out that she is pregnant, that's a human being in it's earliest stages of development.

Upvote 0