A huge misconception ive noticed ever since ive started reading the bible.

Harley.

Jul 5, 2022
Us
✟42,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have spent ages dreading heaven. Literally ages. Why you may ask? Because I have repetitively read/been told that all it is singing praise to God and being on our faces before his throne 24/7. That may appeal to some people, but it doesnt to me.

Now this isn't a pride issue. I have no problem bowing down to God, and I in fact look forward to singing with everyone. But THATS IT?

Well no...its not...as im now learning. I should have caught on sooner when we are told that we will have "Eternal LIFE". Singing and praising forever doesn't sound like our definition of life. and Judging by Eden it isn't God's definition of Life either.

I mean come on, we are told we will be CO HEIRS with Christ. What does Christ inherit? ALL THINGS! Why would God hand over that type of authority to his saints, and then say "Welp, start singing forever". That wouldn't make any sense.

Secondly, Rev 22:5 actually TELLS us what the eternal activity of the saints will be: reigning on a new earth forever and ever. This makes sense if you think about it, thats what God always wanted. Satan didnt somehow stop his plan and now we are eternal choir boys. No, God will get what he wants, which is righteous humans, ruling the earth to his glory. So why then is there this huge misconception that we just sing forever? Where does this come from? I don't understand...?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have spent ages dreading heaven. Literally ages. Why you may ask? Because I have repetitively read/been told that all it is singing praise to God and being on our faces before his throne 24/7. That may appeal to some people, but it doesnt to me.

Now this isn't a pride issue. I have no problem bowing down to God, and I in fact look forward to singing with everyone. But THATS IT?

Well no...its not...as im now learning. I should have caught on sooner when we are told that we will have "Eternal LIFE". Singing and praising forever doesn't sound like our definition of life. and Judging by Eden it isn't God's definition of Life either.

I mean come on, we are told we will be CO HEIRS with Christ. What does Christ inherit? ALL THINGS! Why would God hand over that type of authority to his saints, and then say "Welp, start singing forever". That wouldn't make any sense.

Secondly, Rev 22:5 actually TELLS us what the eternal activity of the saints will be: reigning on a new earth forever and ever. This makes sense if you think about it, thats what God always wanted. Satan didnt somehow stop his plan and now we are eternal choir boys. No, God will get what he wants, which is righteous humans, ruling the earth to his glory. So why then is there this huge misconception that we just sing forever? Where does this come from? I don't understand...?
Not just Earth -- God's throne does not just pertain to Earth. It pertains to the Universe.

The Great Controversy page 677

All the treasures of the universe will be open to the study of God's redeemed. Unfettered by mortality, they wing their tireless flight to worlds afar—worlds that thrilled with sorrow at the spectacle of human woe and rang with songs of gladness at the tidings of a ransomed soul. With unutterable delight the children of earth enter into the joy and the wisdom of unfallen beings. They share the treasures of knowledge and understanding gained through ages upon ages in contemplation of God's handiwork. With undimmed vision they gaze upon the glory of creation—suns and stars and systems, all in their appointed order circling the throne of Deity. Upon all things, from the least to the greatest, the Creator's name is written, and in all are the riches of His power displayed.​
And the years of eternity, as they roll, will bring richer and still more glorious revelations of God and of Christ. As knowledge is progressive, so will love, reverence, and happiness increase. The more men learn of God, the greater will be their admiration of His character. As Jesus opens before them the riches of redemption and the amazing achievements in the great controversy with Satan, the hearts of the ransomed thrill with more fervent devotion, and with more rapturous joy they sweep the harps of gold; and ten thousand times ten thousand and thousands of thousands of voices unite to swell the mighty chorus of praise.​

Reactions: Harley.
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

That's just a layman's misconception. No one actually knows what will go on.

1Co 2:9 But as it is written:

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

Upvote 0

Harley.

Jul 5, 2022
Us
✟42,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's just a layman's misconception. No one actually knows what will go on.

1Co 2:9 But as it is written:

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”
If you read the rest of the verse it talks about how God has revealed those things through his spirit. That verse isn't actually about heaven

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 5:5 "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth".

For as much as people preach on the Beatitudes they do tend to miss that point. This is also why I tell people, I'm not going to Heaven, Heaven is coming to me! And some think I'm a radical blasphemer for saying as much. Lol. But Christ is coming to set up His father's Kingdom on earth. [Rev. 11:15] We'll met him in the air, sure, but not in the Heavens of Heavens, where Christ is sitting right now at the right hand of the Majesty on High. Earth is to become the New Heaven.

Upvote 0

Harley.

Jul 5, 2022
Us
✟42,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 5:5 "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth".

For as much as people preach on the Beatitudes they do tend to miss that point. This is also why I tell people, I'm not going to Heaven, Heaven is coming to me! And some think I'm a radical blasphemer for saying as much. Lol. But Christ is coming to set up His father's Kingdom on earth. [Rev. 11:15] We'll met him in the air, sure, but not in the Heavens of Heavens, where Christ is sitting right now at the right hand of the Majesty on High. Earth is to become the New Heaven.
Exactly! And I may be overstepping here, but I almost find that to say that heaven is ethereal and floaty is almost an Insult to God. To say that heaven won't be physical would be to say that Satan won! Satan overpowered God and changed his plan for eternity. Yeah...I don't remember that verse in the bible...

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
And I may be overstepping here, but I almost find that to say that heaven is ethereal and floaty is almost an Insult to God.
Well, you look at Ezekiel 40 and onwards regarding the Third Temple. God has made blueprints for his future home. God literally has his heart and mind set on building his own house. Why would God create the universe if he didn't want to enjoy it with us?

Isaiah 65:22
They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

The elect will be working and enjoying their work. But judging from the beginning of the verse the elect will be building and planting as part of their work! What do you build in the Spirit World? Spirits don't need to eat or have a house. But the physical world is a giant playground of joy! Where we can plant gardens, build buildings, conjure new recipes.

Zechariah 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

When Christ rules over the whole world everyone will come to keep the Feast of Tabernacles, which is a city-wide smorgasboard. God is literally inviting all the heads of the families of the nations to His house for a feast to eat and drink. God puts a lot of focus on food with his Holy Days: Feast of Unleavened Bread, the Feast of Weeks; the Feast of Tabernacles--except for Atonement of course which is a fast--but His Holy Days are feasts. I think it's reasonable to assume that God likes food.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Yeah songs don't make good theology usually.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

It is written in the beginning chapters that rewards will be given to those who overcome. A perception that heaven is all fun and games and no responsibility may reflect where they are at. If God is calling you to rule the new heaven and earth with Him, perhaps read through the requirements for that position and work on it with Him.

Only those who overcome actually get the (additional) rewards.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yup.

Proverbs 12:24 The hand of the diligent shall bear rule: but the slothful shall be under tribute.

Overcoming requires diligence, as noted 2 Tim 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Harley.

Jul 5, 2022
Us
✟42,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is written in the beginning chapters that rewards will be given to those who overcome. A perception that heaven is all fun and games and no responsibility may reflect where they are at. If God is calling you to rule the new heaven and earth with Him, perhaps read through the requirements for that position and work on it with Him.

Judging by the parable of the talents. There will be varying levels of authority. Think like a country (which is actually how heaven is described in Hebrews). You have a federal level, all the way down to small town gov. I think it may work like that. Everyone will have some authority tho it looks like.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Actually being with the Lord forever, surrounded by His perfect Light of Love is just not something we can imagine while we are in the flesh. There have only been a few given a glimpse of His perfection and He has shared that Light.
“I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
Blessings.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What gives you the greatest pleasure now while on earth?
We are to be like Christ while here on earth, so what gave Christ the greatest pleasure while here on earth. "I have come to serve and not be served", so did Christ take pleasure in serving?
As my Godly type Love grows, my joy increases in serving others, be more and more selfless. You and others have talked about "ruling", but Jesus tells us we should not "rule" like the Gentiles, but to be great we lower ourselves to serve others, like Christ did not only in washing Judas' feet, but in going to the cross.
In heaven I see those who fulfilled their earthly objective obtaining Godly type Love and growing that Love and I feel there will be those that never had the opportunity to accept Godly type Love, so lacking this Love and only having a wonderful child's love for a wonderful parent, will need protection and to be preserved for eternity, which I hope I can be a part of.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Judging by the parable of the talents. There will be varying levels of authority. Think like a country (which is actually how heaven is described in Hebrews). You have a federal level, all the way down to small town gov. I think it may work like that. Everyone will have some authority tho it looks like.
Using that parable, there will be some who bury their gift and be in charge of managing nothing.

The parable of the vineyard owner, illustrates everyone is paid a days wages regardless of when they start working.

The parable saint Paul uses is work gets tested by fire, some have different types of works and some works will be destroyed by the fire, but they still retain their salvation.

Those who bury their gift and are saved by fire still are paid a days wages. However, no additional reward is waiting. So I wouldn't say "everyone" has some governmental authority, but only those tried and tested and found worthy.

Upvote 0

Harley.

Jul 5, 2022
Us
✟42,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Using that parable, there will be some who bury their gift and be in charge of managing nothing.

The parable of the vineyard owner, illustrates everyone is paid a days wages regardless of when they start working.

The parable saint Paul uses is work gets tested by fire, some have different types of works and some works will be destroyed by the fire, but they still retain their salvation.

Those who bury their gift and are saved by fire still are paid a days wages. However, no additional reward is waiting. So I wouldn't say "everyone" has some governmental authority, but only those tried and tested and found worthy.
My best guess would be that the rest of us that dont make governmental status make up the "nations" mentioned in Rev 21

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My best guess would be that the rest of us that dont make governmental status make up the "nations" mentioned in Rev 21
It's hard to say, there are many callings, and God has a way of doing things differently than we can imagine or think. Even among the seven churches of revelation, there are different things that could happen. One that comes to mind in context of this thread is the one about being a pillar in the temple forever .. since Jesus is the temple, it's like being bone in the body of God. How it hashes out in the end, God only knows. More than we can imagine or think.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What huge misconception? Heaven is the waiting room, the new earth is the final destination. If people listen to stories and poor teaching and reach the wrong conclusions that would be on them. If they attend a church that does not teach scripture and continue learning from them, again this is their own fault. Unless the person is a child or can't read, an adult should be able to study and learn. If they are unsure they can ask a more mature Christian or a trusted minister.

2 Timothy 2:15 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The reward in this parable is Eternal Life, not an office in God's government.

My church taught that the 1st Resurrection of the 144,000 have the highest offices in God's government. Ministers believed that in the Transfiguration when Peter James and John saw Christ standing with Moses and Elijah, that Moses and Elijah represent two branches of government: so essentially a division between church and state. Moses over the Law and Elijah over the Church; physical vs spiritual.

So some people might fall under Moses' division and others could fall under Elijah's division. Because the elect are to be Kings and Priests. Maybe people assume the elect play both roles, but it may actually be one or the other. And this to me seems like a more clean and linear way of ruling; you can't have too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak. Everyone minds their place and doesn't cross over into someone else's department--that would just be a recipe for disaster!

My church taught that those who live through the millennium but were not part of the 144,000 become the next layer of government; and the 2nd resurrection when all humanity is raised from the Pharaohs of Egypt to some uncoverted soul on some tiny island somewhere, they will be at the bottom level of government/citizenship. If they amount to anything you're looking at mayors, maybe even governors.

It's possibly a two division government with a three tier system. We see through a glass darkly so we can only make assumptions at this point, but it sounds like a plausible (though still ignorant) look into the future Kingdom of God and how it will be set up.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What gives you the greatest pleasure now while on earth?
We are to be like Christ while here on earth, so what gave Christ the greatest pleasure while here on earth. "I have come to serve and not be served", so did Christ take pleasure in serving?
As my Godly type Love grows, my joy increases in serving others, be more and more selfless. You and others have talked about "ruling", but Jesus tells us we should not "rule" like the Gentiles, but to be great we lower ourselves to serve others, like Christ did not only in washing Judas' feet, but in going to the cross.
In heaven I see those who fulfilled their earthly objective obtaining Godly type Love and growing that Love and I feel there will be those that never had the opportunity to accept Godly type Love, so lacking this Love and only having a wonderful child's love for a wonderful parent, will need protection and to be preserved for eternity, which I hope I can be a part of.
It is true, God's definition of dominion is not the same as what Earthly Kings do, where they just have control over others and aren't responsible to them. God's idea of dominion is more that you're responsible for that dominion. okay so Adam and Eve were given dominion of the Earth, what did that mean?

That they'd dress and keep the garden., they take care of it, minister to it.
Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and He washed His disciples' feet and used His own clothes to dry them.

Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What huge misconception? Heaven is the waiting room, the new earth is the final destination. If people listen to stories and poor teaching and reach the wrong conclusions that would be on them. If they attend a church that does not teach scripture and continue learning from them, again this is their own fault. Unless the person is a child or can't read, an adult should be able to study and learn. If they are unsure they can ask a more mature Christian or a trusted minister.

2 Timothy 2:15 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

It is a RAMPANT teaching within many mainline churches and I mean from very well known pastors that teach something like that view.
It might not be EXACLT that view but they will say something like
"You'll be so overwhelmed with Joy seeing Jesus that you won't even WANT to do anything but sing to Him"
they extend the praising in Revelation, particularly Revelation 4, 5, 7, and 15 into eternity.
It's easy to believe what they teach because they ARE getting the idea from Revelation 4, 5, 7, and 15 and from some of the Psalms.

I'm constantly confronted with that view and it does have enough biblical evidence from those passages and psalms that I start believing it, and I get overwhelmingly depressed about it, that God would change His mind and His plan from man being created to dress and keep God's creation, and minister to it, as His agents bearing His image... to a choir.

To complicate things for me, I absolutely do not like singing, not in church, I don't like to sing in the shower, I don't like to sing songs that I enjoy, I don't like to sing my friends happy birthday, even as a kid. Every time I've ever opened my mouth to even TRY singing, I've instantly regretted it. My voice carries too well and is too strong and so I really have to dial it down, and it also when I sing in particular it creates a really uncomfortable vibration through my chest.

so when it comes down to it, that teaching of "heaven" is basically telling me that I will do something I hate doing 24/7... or be tortured forever, no alternatives, and then I'm "comforted" with what essentially is God brainwashing me to enjoy something I hate doing. Which feels more like a rejection by my own creator that he replaces me with another person because I was so rejected that I shouldn't even exist.

When I start believing that teaching
I don't want to exist.

Upvote 0