Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey This is 11x14 of Zion National Park in Utah. I attached the underpainting in yellow. It's Acrylic on Yupo. It is mostly done with a palette knife and a sea sponge.
IMG-2262.jpg IMG-2265.jpg

Last edited:

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks good. I have only used black and white underpaintings for the values. What is the advantage of one like this, the yellow shining through in various ways for lighting?

Are there disadvantages to this?

• Friendly
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Looks good. I have only used black and white underpaintings for the values. What is the advantage of one like this, the yellow shining through in various ways for lighting?

Are there disadvantages to this?
Thanks. The yellow sets the temperature for the whole painting. It can also be done in umber. Salmon color (sort of a pink orange) believe it or not is very useful for underpainting sunlight. The only downside is that you have to remember to cool your shadow areas. The rule is warm light source means cool shadows, and cool light source means warm shadows. If the balance is wrong the painting can look muddy or chalky. On mine I probably should have put some blues in the rock wall shadows, at least in the recesses.

As a fun fact, Salvador Dali used to glaze yellow into his darkest shadows (it gives a airy atmosphere in the shadows that you can't get with just black.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. The yellow sets the temperature for the whole painting. It can also be done in umber. Salmon color (sort of a pink orange) believe it or not is very useful for underpainting sunlight. The only downside is that you have to remember to cool your shadow areas. The rule is warm light source means cool shadows, and cool light source means warm shadows. If the balance is wrong the painting can look muddy or chalky. On mine I probably should have put some blues in the rock wall shadows, at least in the recesses.

As a fun fact, Salvador Dali used to glaze yellow into his darkest shadows (it gives a airy atmosphere in the shadows that you can't get with just black.

Interesting, thanks!

That is something I like about digital. I can go back and put a new layer and glaze onto anything!

• Friendly
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0