A guide to commentaries on deuterocanonical/apocryphal books?

johnboy3434

Dec 24, 2005
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
First off, if you ever find yourself wanting a summary of the state of biblical commentaries on the 66 universal books, check out A Guide to Biblical Commentaries & Reference Works by John F. Evans (a new edition is due out at some point this year from Zondervan).

That said, I haven't been able to find any comparable guide to commentaries on the books of the deuterocanon/apocrypha. Does such a work exist (either in print or online), or is there just not enough interest in the subject?

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'll write such a guide right here in this post. If there's something I want to add I'll edit this post. Also for those who didn't know there's a place to post reviews of commentaries on the 65 books of the Bible (excluding Esther which was not found among the Dead Sea Scrolls), the Deuteroncanonicals, 3-4 Mc, 1 Ezra, 4 Ezra, (see Esdras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), 2 Baruch, Jubilees, Joseph and Aseneth, Odes of Solomon 11, Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs Aramaic Levi Document, Psalms of Solomon, 1 Clement, Didaché, Gospel of Thomas, Letter to Flora, Apocryphon of John and Gospel of Mary (a book on the latter is: Mary Magdalene: Beyond the Myth by Esther De Boer and John Bowden $15.95 in pre-pub), the thread (please ignore the content of the OP) is: Practical Commentary on Scripture:
I haven't been able to find any comparable guide to commentaries on the books of the deuterocanon/apocrypha. Does such a work exist (either in print or online), or is there just not enough interest in the subject?

A couple of recent whole Bible commentaries that have the Deuterocanonicals and a little more (Fortress), are: Fortress Commentary on the Bible (2 vols.), or the Verbum link to the same product: https://verbum.com/product/47636/fortress-commentary-on-the-bible ... $50.95 on pre-pub, which is really cheap.
And New Interpreter's Bible, the new Edition that's in the works and starting to come out this year. It's multi-volume, so if You're interested in the Deuterocanonicals only You can get that volume. Many parts of this commentary are good, and it also contains reflections on every paragraph. Note that the pages are large and the volumes thick so You get a lot of content, and I hope it'll ship in some Bible Study software (I use Accordance and Verbum/Logos) as it's bulky to carry around as printed matter.

A valuable set for the Old Testament incl. the Deuterocanonicals + 4 Ezra and 1 Enoch, is: Hermeneia OT commentary set 21 vols. ... it's sometimes on a sale. I bought that set for $279 last year. The 2 Mc and 4 Ezra commentaries are likely the best, I hurried to get them as soon as I got aware of them. The 1 Enoch volumes used to be the best, now there are monographs out which might be preferred. Some of the volumes have history of interpretation - which is a not that common feature. Matthias Henze is currently preparing a volume on 2 Baruch, and I don't think there are yet any estimates when it will come out - I checked both the publishers homepage and Amazon.co.uk now. For the Jewish Pseudepigrapha, Accordance has a sale right now on a recent Edition - the regular price is low too. The link is: Pseudepigrapha (New English) by Craig Evans sale price $39.90 until midnight Monday Feb. 23. Eastern Standard Time. There is also a more scholarly Edition which is coming out soon if anyone wants to know (one part of it is: https://www.logos.com/product/49494/old-testament-pseudepigrapha-more-noncanonical-scriptures-vol-1 ... I keep forgetting the title or authors of the other part but I'll find out).

My professor said it's better to go with monographs for Sirach. Mostly for Sirach (=Ecclesiasticus, not to be confused with a book with a similar name), I'm getting: De Gruyter Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Studies (18 vols.) (actually the bigger bundle that contains it - which will remain my only sizable purchase) or peruse the Verbum page https://verbum.com/product/47117/de-gruyter-deuterocanonical-and-cognate-literature-studies. It oughta be the best although also deals with specific topics. Here's a discussion about the bundle: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/94366/655513.aspx#655513 The price has been $349.95 for a while so it's going up any week now - I hope they'll forewarn before they raise the price to $399.95. It's not going to charge You until it ships - which is forewarned by email and on the product page. Note that once it has shipped the price will increase drastically at the same moment to the reg. price.
Another book I have, is: Studies in the form of Sirach 44-50 by Thomas R. Lee. It's a dissertation copyrighted in 1986 by Society of Biblical Literature.
The best Greek Edition of Ecclesiasticus is coming out soon in Accordance: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=LXXG-SIR ... (and Accordance is working on getting the e-text for the 1996 LSJ lexicon).

The best and most detailed commentary for 1 Ezra might still be: I & II Esdras A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary by Jacob M. Myers in the Anchor Bible series, from 1974. It's cheap to buy as printed matter.

The Accordance Edition called Apocryphal Gospels (Greek and English) by Craig Evans and tagged by Rex A. Koivisto is on a sale for $39.90.

(If I come up with something new on any of the books I'll edit this post.)

Previously edited by Unix; 24th January 2015 at 12:52 PM local time. Reason: add link to discussion about the De Gruyter bundle
Previously edited by Unix; 3rd February 2015 at 4:25 PM local time. Reason: add Matthias Henze on 2 Baruch

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I edited my post now (21st February 2015 at 11:49 PM local time). Reason: adding Gospel of Mary and Apocryphon of John to the list of works to be discussed (mentioning a link to a book about the former), Apocryphal Gospels by Craig Evans, Pseudepigrapha (New English), and Greek Ecclesiasticus (Göttingen). The sale on the Apocryphal Gospels (Greek (including latin sections) and English) and Pseudepigrapha (New English) both end midnight Monday Feb. 23. Eastern Standard Time, and the sale price is $39.90 each.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Can I ask more of a general question because all these books are intimidating, so many of them. Can you give a list of just the books that are disputed as to being inspired? Are a lot of these books simply Jewish background history and not argued by anybody as to being inspired? Although those books would also be interesting right now I'm only into books that have an argument for inspiration. Now this might be a stupid question since my answer might simply be that the 6 extra books in the Catholic Bible (Tobit, Judith, 1 & 2 Maccabees, Sirach, Baruch) are the ones in dispute...but I didn't know if any others were also in dispute. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
To start: From the viewpoint of what Millennium, Century or denomination/doctrinal system?:
Can I ask more of a general question because all these books are intimidating, so many of them. Can you give a list of just the books that are disputed as to being inspired? Are a lot of these books simply Jewish background history and not argued by anybody as to being inspired? Although those books would also be interesting right now I'm only into books that have an argument for inspiration. Now this might be a stupid question since my answer might simply be that the 6 extra books in the Catholic Bible (Tobit, Judith, 1 & 2 Maccabees, Sirach, Baruch) are the ones in dispute...but I didn't know if any others were also in dispute. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Nevermind with regards to my question on which books, I've been poking around and basically just want the Protestant Apocrypha

1 Esdras
2 Esdras
Tobit
Judith
Additions to Esther
Wisdom of Solomon
Ecclesiasticus
Baruch
Epistle of Jeremiah
Song of the Three Children
Story of Susanna
Bel and the Dragon
Prayer of Manasseh
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees

So I just want the best commentary on these books...hopefully a commentary with great for/against argumentation as to each book's worthiness as inspired.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The answers should, laboriously I might add, be found in: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...uterocanonical-and-cognate-literature-studies which I mentioned, the early-bird pre-pub price has been lowered to $279.99 ... it's a self-evident buy for me, so I don't have a personal need to look through some of the volumes in print (in the University town library - right now I have a commuter ticket for the train) before I pay:
Nevermind with regards to my question on which books, I've been poking around and basically just want the Protestant Apocrypha ... with great for/against argumentation as to each book's worthiness as inspired.

Upvote 0