Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Asked About Retiring, They Have a Simple Answer: Why?

Judge Weinstein is one of the more than 1.5 million Americans over the age of 75, who are still in the paid work force, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
While the study does not list their specific jobs, many work at occupations in which skill and brainpower count more than brawn and endurance. Some are self-employed and aren’t subject to mandatory retirement rules. Others are stars in their fields — no one has ever suggested that Warren Buffett, 87, quit investing. And there are others, a growing cohort, who remain at their posts because of financial necessity
.​

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Count me in. I'm 77 and still working (although I did sell my rental property). I love my job, it's easy, and I make a lot of money. I do plan to retire at 80 however, but have some trepidation about what I will do. I need to be active.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's great for those who enjoy their careers to continue working. Age shouldn't be a reason to expect people lives to stop or slow. Especially if their well-cared for during life and have the effort to contribute. But I'm concern for those less able and capable who don't have the careers or incomes of others.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Asked About Retiring, They Have a Simple Answer: Why?

Judge Weinstein is one of the more than 1.5 million Americans over the age of 75, who are still in the paid work force, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
While the study does not list their specific jobs, many work at occupations in which skill and brainpower count more than brawn and endurance. Some are self-employed and aren’t subject to mandatory retirement rules. Others are stars in their fields — no one has ever suggested that Warren Buffett, 87, quit investing. And there are others, a growing cohort, who remain at their posts because of financial necessity
.​

Retirement "rules" are dictated by the government when it concerns the retirees WHO want to then Apply to the government To receive a small sum of money the government compelled the prospective retirees to give the government During all of their working years.

The government outright has no authority over the length of time a person chooses To Work or Not Work....unless they are
Employed or otherwise their Work wage / salary / Compensation is Paid out OF The government Treasury (or otherwise the public wealth in the governments control). Then they do have a degree of control concerning age.

Then such paid persons ARE subject to the age limits per the governments laws and rules that apply to their specific employ.

For example : Supreme Court Justices have no mandated retirement. They could serve till they drop dead.

God Bless
Merry Christmas
SBC

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Retirement "rules" are dictated by the government when it concerns the retirees WHO want to then Apply to the government To receive a small sum of money the government compelled the prospective retirees to give the government During all of their working years.

The government outright has no authority over the length of time a person chooses To Work or Not Work....unless they are
Employed or otherwise their Work wage / salary / Compensation is Paid out OF The government Treasury (or otherwise the public wealth in the governments control). Then they do have a degree of control concerning age.

Then such paid persons ARE subject to the age limits per the governments laws and rules that apply to their specific employ.

For example : Supreme Court Justices have no mandated retirement. They could serve till they drop dead.

God Bless
Merry Christmas
SBC
Good point. If one wants to forego Social Security altogether, then the government can only force you to tap into your IRA and 401k plans. If you decide to collect Social Security though, then the government retroactively places you on Medicare which severely limits one's private health care "insurance" options.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Pilots are legally obligated to retire at 65.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's great for those who enjoy their careers to continue working. Age shouldn't be a reason to expect people lives to stop or slow. Especially if their well-cared for during life and have the effort to contribute. But I'm concern for those less able and capable who don't have the careers or incomes of others.

Personally I think the Forced "contributing "
IS the problem why you have concerns for others.

People who work until THEY have set aside their own $$ until they can stop working would fair better then the government Taking their $$ and then hoping they die Before they show up wanting their money back.

And IF they don't die, the government decides what few $$ they have decided a man can have each month.

Awesome!! Servants living in the lap of luxury deciding what scraps are sufficient for another man to live on OF HIS OWN money safe held (ha ha ) under the control of the so called "servants"!

God Bless
Merry Christmas
SBC

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If a person works part-time and doesn't have to work, then it might be good. Having to work full-time at an older age isn't good. But in times past that was probably the norm. Out of necessity, people probably worked until they couldn't go anymore.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Pilots are legally obligated to retire at 65.

My point.

Air space is dictated under Fed jurisdiction thus so are pilots licensed under their jurisdiction subject to their rules and laws.

I suppose an individual could buy or build his own plane and fly without their licensing...

But then would have to face the consequences of not owning the air space that the Feds have declared They Own and Control. Just like the land you walk on and call "yours" . That's Theirs too.
Buffet is buying scads of water under the land. Not sure how he got such a deal with God.
Wouldn't be surprised if before long some government will claim they own Hell too and start charging you for your little plot there.

God Bless
SBC

• Haha
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My point.

Said that the government doesn’t dictate retirement age unless the person is on their payroll.

I suppose an individual could buy or build his own plane and fly without their licensing...

Not commercially.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Good point. If one wants to forego Social Security altogether, then the government can only force you to tap into your IRA and 401k plans. If you decide to collect Social Security though, then the government retroactively places you on Medicare which severely limits one's private health care "insurance" options.

Correct. Scams and Schemes built upon Scams and Schemes. And it is the unknowing that do not notice the Web being built. They Then see the Web and say oh how marvelous isn't that grand. Then they see some unsuspecting critter caught in the Web and say awe poor little stupid critter, it has no escape from that Web, but to die.

Parallels are fun, but only useful if one comprehends the meaning.

Some people just don't get if you entangle yourself in a Web, you are the critter. Your option for getting out of the Web IS death... and the Web maker IS counting on That!

God Bless
Merry Christmas

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
If a person works part-time and doesn't have to work, then it might be good. Having to work full-time at an older age isn't good. But in times past that was probably the norm. Out of necessity, people probably worked until they couldn't go anymore.
As SBC as correctly pointed out, "work" gives life purpose and meaning, a reason to continue on. Sitting around, not so much.

• Friendly
Reactions: SBC
Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Said that the government doesn’t dictate retirement age unless the person is on their payroll.

Not commercially.

Employ of a government and receiving pay from a government for the employment IS one way to be subjectied to Their Rules ...
So also is Subject Matter Jurisdiction, in the broader sense IS one Subjecting themselves To Government Jurisdiction, whether employed or paid by the government.

The subject matter jurisdiction in your example is Air Space and who IS and who IS not Authorized to occupy certain Air Space, In what manner and when and how.

The Government authorizes By Licenses And dictates the rules regarding the licenses and licensed persons.

I was not speaking of a Commercial Pilot who flys others who have Paid a fare To fly.
But was commenting on an individual with no mention of Fare paying or otherwise passengers.

God Bless
SBC

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
As SBC as correctly pointed out, "work" gives life purpose and meaning, a reason to continue on. Sitting around, not so much.
I can see that side of it. Yet there are a lot of opportunities to do things in the community (or for yourself) that don't involve working for an employer. I'm thankful for my job and its income, but there plenty of books to read, coffee to drink, and writing that I'd like to do. Would love to be retired.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Would love to be retired.
I thought so once, too. Now, I'm somewhat offended at the suggestion. I went into a physician's office a year ago and one of his first questions to me was to ask why I wasn't retired.

I responded, "Do I have to?"
Winking_smiley.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Amen! Not working ... doing nothing...
Egads what a boring, unaccomplished, slow death that would be.

The living retired from "employed work" doesn't mean one should stop working and sit in a chair waiting for death to claim them.

Work at every age IS healthy.
Even when my kids were toddlers they were taught to work. And relatives in their 90 + years still work. Work is not limited by being "employed" , or always about the dollar.

God Bless
SBC

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it personally ironic that this topic would come up at this point in time. There was a time not long ago (a year?) where retirement was not in my vocabulary. My how things change. The business world has finally worn me down. I don't care about work any more. But it seems it won't be up to me anyway. I have it on good authority that I'm going to be "let go" in January, and I've recently come to the conclusion that I have literally gone through about every IT company in this town, and I have overstayed my welcome at each. So I'm fully expecting early retirement not of my own doing (I'm nowhere near 75).

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I can see that side of it. Yet there are a lot of opportunities to do things in the community (or for yourself) that don't involve working for an employer. I'm thankful for my job and its income, but there plenty of books to read, coffee to drink, and writing that I'd like to do. Would love to be retired.

Get it.
I would only say, don't wait to do those things, by living to only do for the paycheck.
Inasmuch as you dedicate time to get ready, drive, work, drive home- dedicate some time for your works you decide - beyond what an employer has decided.

God Bless
Merry Christmas
SBC

• Friendly
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Amen! Not working ... doing nothing...
Egads what a boring, unaccomplished, slow death that would be.

The living retired from "employed work" doesn't mean one should stop working and sit in a chair waiting for death to claim them.

Work at every age IS healthy.
Even when my kids were toddlers they were taught to work. And relatives in their 90 + years still work. Work is not limited by being "employed" , or always about the dollar.

God Bless
SBC

True. Traveling the world could be one's 'work' in retirement.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True. Traveling the world could be one's 'work' in retirement.
There's a lot of young men, teens, who could use someone to look up to, to teach them what it is to be a responsible man.
Didn't you raise a son who has turned out well? So you have experience in this department?

Upvote 0