-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thursday morning’s National Prayer Service, which Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris attended virtually, featured a powerful homily by the Rev. Dr. William Barber II. Barber is the co-chair of the Poor People’s Campaign and one of the most recognizable faith-based social justice advocates in the nation.

“Grant us wisdom and courage for the facing of this hour until, together, we make sure there is racial justice and economic justice and living-wage justice and health care justice and ecological justice and disability justice and justice for homeless and justice for the poor and low-wealth and working poor and immigrant justice — until we study war no more and peace and justice are the way we live,” Barber said. “This is the only path to domestic tranquility and healing.”

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article248662985.html

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Prayers and talk of social justice are good but action is needed to actually make them happen.

Pray to God each day for discernment, wisdom, guidance, and protection, and then BE the change you want to see. Lead by example, don't just simply expect others to change because you have an idea that was never new under the sun to begin with.

This is coming from a Knight in Sour Armour.[1]

1. tvtropes.org/KnightInSourArmor - Expect some bad words in this article.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In other words a great nation is one that is communist and marxist.
It actually grieves me a bit that:
Healthcare
pursuit of ridding poverty
Justice for the poor, voiceless and disabled

are derided on CHRISTIAN Forums because THOSE are things that are ONLY possible in ONE POLITICAL SYSTEM (which is false to begin with) and inconveniently, that is not the system we have so....sorry.
Dagnabbit these are things Christians are supposed to be striving for OUTSIDE OF THE POLITICAL SPHERE!

Isn't it HILARIOUS that when the Holy Spirit was considered to be UTTERLY filling up the early church; where the church itself is described that "And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them."

And you are DERIDING it.

Help me understand your argument ebetter rjs330

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Prayers and talk of social justice are good but action is needed to actually make them happen. Pray to God each day for discernment, wisdom, guidance, and protection, and then BE the change you want to see. Lead by example,

It actually grieves me a bit that: Healthcare, pursuit of ridding poverty, Justice for the poor, voiceless and disabled are derided on CHRISTIAN Forums because THOSE are things that are ONLY possible in ONE POLITICAL SYSTEM
Exactly, this is basic / or should be basic Christianity.

The Christian right has led us to believe that if we're only anti-abortion and anti-homosexuality then we're good Christians, we've done our work. But saints have always understood that Christianity is about charity, compassion, social justice. Agape is Christianity.

Right-wing Christians may claim they are the only real Christians, the only real Americans and the only true patriots. The rest of us are all atheists who hate America and want to destroy Judeo-Christian values. This is both divisive and completely untrue.

I hope this is the time for action, for true Judeo-Christian values to shine. Agape, which is beautifully translated "love" really refers to "compassion." In KJV "agape" was frequently rendered into "charity" and in contemporary English it should be understood to mean "compassion."

To say that compassion is communist and Marxist so completely misses the mark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The Christian right has led us to believe that if we're only anti-abortion and anti-homosexuality then we're good Christians, we've done our work. But saints have always understood that Christianity is about charity, compassion, social justice. Agape is Christianity.

Right-wing Christians may claim they are the only real Christians, the only real Americans and the only true patriots. The rest of us are all atheists who hate America and want to destroy Judeo-Christian values. This is both divisive and completely untrue.

I hope this is the time for action, for true Judeo-Christian values to shine. Agape, which is beautifully translated "love" really refers to "compassion." In KJV "agape" was frequently rendered into "charity" and in contemporary English it should be understood to mean "compassion."

To say that compassion is communist and Marxist so completely misses the mark.

I use to be reliant on websites ran by the American Religious Right for theology. I was especially over-focused in a very specific view of Christian eschatology, the one like the Left Behind books. It really hurt me in more than a few ways. Taking their politically-infused theology thinking it was 100% Biblical nearly destroyed my life.

After actually reading the Bible, however, I found that Christian values goes ACROSS the political spectrum, NOT specific ends of it. Some of the Bible's values are clearly conservative, some clearly liberal, and some even take middle ground. Because of this, whenever someone labels himself as a "Conservative Christian" or a "Liberal Christian," they only come across to me as a Cafeteria Christian, in my own honest opinion. My mentor told me that as soon as preachers and pastors infuse politics into their sermons, walk away from it. During election season, they should tell you only this ONE thing: Vote.

After connecting two entire passages (NOT two very specific verses, that would be cherry picking), I found that the Bible actually creates a test for us. To me, it's a test revealing our true character:

Generosity Encouraged
6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 9 As it is written:

“They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor;
their righteousness endures forever.

10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

12 This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. 13 Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. 14 And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. 15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
~2 Corinthians 9:6-15 (NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: 2 Corinthians 9:6-15 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Corinthians 9:6-15 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Corinthians 9:6-15 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Corinthians 9:6-15 - International Children’s Bible

The Sheep and the Goats
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.
~Matthew 25:31-46 (NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 25:31-46 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 25:31-46 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 25:31-46 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 25:31-46 - International Children’s Bible

So basically, we are to give our time, money, and energy helping those in need. Never out of compulsion, because God LOVES a cheerful giver. HOWEVER, the use of one's own free will determines each Christian's true character in this regard. Give willingly, God will be pleased. Refuse to give because of certain political and cultural values, then hypocrisy is exposed. This is the most Christ-like Saw trap if I have ever seen one.

Remember, as Christians we serve God, not worldly politicians (Psalms 146:1-10). Whom we vote for matters less than our daily conduct. What is included in daily conduct? The Greatest Commandment: Love God with all of our being and love others as ourselves. (Luke 10:25-37, Mark 12:28-34, Matthew 22:34-40)

Knowing the Ten Commandments (Deuteronomy 5:6-21, Exodus 20:1-17), exercising the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:7-26), and knowing what true love is (1 Corinthians 13:1-13) are essential to serving God and others, not reading a country's constitution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In other words a great nation is one that is communist and marxist.
I don't see communist or Marxist countries as paradigms of compassion, do you?

Few years ago, the Dalai Lama published a couple of books about compassion that became very popular. It was good to talk about compassion but sad not to remember that Jesus was the one who taught the Good News of compassion.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perilous Times and Perilous Men
1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 6 For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; 9 but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.

The Man of God and the Word of God
10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, 11 persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
~2 Timothy 3:1-17 (NKJV)

Bible Gateway passage: 2 Timothy 3 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Timothy 3 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Timothy 3 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Timothy 3 - International Children’s Bible

Lovers of self, money, pleasure, knowledge, and all the while portraying themselves as Christ-like. I don't know about the rest of you, but these specific traits listed inside this passage sounds a lot like the American Dream,[1] or at least its outcome.[2][3][4][5] According to Sir John Bagot Glubb, British soldier and historian,[9] this is nothing new under the sun.[8] (Ecclesiastes 1:1-11)

1 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, 4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, 5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.

6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
~1 Timothy 6:3-10 (NKJV)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+timothy+6:3-10&version=KJV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+timothy+6:3-10&version=NKJV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+timothy+6:3-10&version=NIV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+timothy+6:3-10&version=ICB

Contentment is a wonderful value to have. Being satisfied with what one already has (ESPECIALLY when basic needs are met), let alone in the Western World, is MUCH more sustainable than keeping up with the Jones's. (Hebrews 13:5, Luke 12:15, Proverbs 30:7-9)

13 Then one from the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

14 But He said to him, “Man, who made Me a judge or an arbitrator over you?” 15 And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.”

16 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17 And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ 18 So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.” ’ 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’

21 “So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
~Luke 12:13-21 (NKJV)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+12:13-21&version=KJV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+12:13-21&version=NKJV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+12:13-21&version=NIV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+12:13-21&version=ICB

Lay Up Treasures in Heaven
19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The Lamp of the Body
22 “The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

You Cannot Serve God and Riches
24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
~Matthew 6:19-24 (NKJV)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6:19-24&version=KJV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6:19-24&version=NKJV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6:19-24&version=NIV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6:19-24&version=ICB

1 He also said to His disciples: “There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods. 2 So he called him and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.’

3 “Then the steward said within himself, ‘What shall I do? For my master is taking the stewardship away from me. I cannot dig; I am ashamed to beg. 4 I have resolved what to do, that when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.’

5 “So he called every one of his master’s debtors to him, and said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ 6 And he said, ‘A hundred measures of oil.’ So he said to him, ‘Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.’ 7 Then he said to another, ‘And how much do you owe?’ So he said, ‘A hundred measures of wheat.’ And he said to him, ‘Take your bill, and write eighty.’ 8 So the master commended the unjust steward because he had dealt shrewdly. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light.

9 “And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home. 10 He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much. 11 Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12 And if you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own?

13 “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”

The Law, the Prophets, and the Kingdom
14 Now the Pharisees, who were lovers of money, also heard all these things, and they derided Him. 15 And He said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God.
~Luke 16:1-15 (NKJV)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+16:1-15&version=KJV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+16:1-15&version=NKJV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+16:1-15&version=NIV
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+16:1-15&version=ICB

Wealth itself is NOT a sin. Pursuit of wealth at the expense of loving God and others, however, is (Proverbs 30:7-9). If one is a successful business man, philanthropy for God's glory is STRONGLY recommended. One example I can think of at the top of my head is Mike Lindell, the CEO of My Pillow Inc.[6] He used his financial success for philanthropic causes, such as helping to fund the Christian anti-abortion film, Unplanned, in exchange for a cameo in the film.[7]

As the saying goes, "Power does not corrupt. It reveals." Wealth is a form of power. One can either say, "Forget the rules, I have money!" or "Thy will be done, Father God."

This is just one of many tests of true character, let alone Christ-like character.

1. What Is the American Dream?
  2. https://www.psychologytoday.com/int...1611/the-rise-and-demise-financial-narcissism
  3. We're In A Golden Age Of White Collar Crime
  4. Affluenza Definition
  5. Student Loan Debt Statistics In 2020: A Record $1.6 Trillion
  6. Mike Lindell Net Worth 2021, Age, Height, Weight, Wife, Kids, Biography, Wiki | The Wealth Record
  7. My Pillow Founder Michael Lindell Jumps Into Film Financing
  8. http://people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf - pp. 8 (XIII The Age of Commerce) - pp. 20 (XXXII Decadence is not physical)
  9. Sir John Bagot Glubb | British army officer

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The bible certainly stands for no discrimination, though there are clear gender roles. As to economic justice, the bible does allow for sharing among believers. This sharing is voluntary though it is not forced. When you take from someone forcefully and give to another less fortunate, it is close to stealing. Also, the bible is pretty clear concerning work ethic, motivation and dependency. The idea of no war is unbiblical too, man is sinful, there will be wars until the return of jesus. Immigrant justice? What is that? That all illegals would follow the law? from What Does the Bible Say About He Who Will Not Work Shall Not Eat?

2 Thessalonians 3:10 ESV
For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

1 Timothy 5:8 ESV
But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

1 Thessalonians 4:11 ESV
And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you,

Ephesians 4:28 ESV
Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.

I Thessalonians 4:12 ESV
So that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one.

Proverbs 13:4 ESV
The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Healthcare

are derided on CHRISTIAN Forums because THOSE are things that are ONLY possible in ONE POLITICAL SYSTEM (which is false to begin with) and inconveniently, that is not the system we have so....sorry.
Dagnabbit these are things Christians are supposed to be striving for OUTSIDE OF THE POLITICAL SPHERE!

Isn't it HILARIOUS that when the Holy Spirit was considered to be UTTERLY filling up the early church; where the church itself is described that "And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them."

And you are DERIDING it.

For some, it is always preferable to have someone worse off than you around so you can feel better even when you are down.

"At least I am better off than that guy!!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The bible certainly stands for no discrimination, though there are clear gender roles. As to economic justice, the bible does allow for sharing among believers. This sharing is voluntary though it is not forced. When you take from someone forcefully and give to another less fortunate, it is close to stealing. Also, the bible is pretty clear concerning work ethic, motivation and dependency. The idea of no war is unbiblical too, man is sinful, there will be wars until the return of jesus. Immigrant justice? What is that? That all illegals would follow the law? from What Does the Bible Say About He Who Will Not Work Shall Not Eat?

For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you,

Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.

The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.
this has the stink of Prosperity gospel in it.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This sharing is voluntary though it is not forced. When you take from someone forcefully and give to another less fortunate, it is close to stealing.
Was tithing a command or a voluntary sharing?

Immigrant justice? What is that?
“You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt”(Ex.22:20).

“You shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the soul of the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt” (Ex.23:9).

“The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as one of your citizens; you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt” (Lev.19:34).

“You too must befriend the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt” (Deut.10:19)

“You shall not hate an Egyptian, for you were stranger in his land” (Deut.23:8).

“Always remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt; therefore do I enjoin you to observe this commandment” (Deut. 24:22)

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,230.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Healthcare

And you are DERIDING it.

I think you hit the nail on the head. These things you mention as a Christian are outside the political sphere. We as believers are supposed to help those in need. We are never commanded to end poverty. We can't and won't. The Bible tells us that there will always be poor people. We cannot remove poverty. Because poverty is most often the result of the consequences of poor choices in America. And we are dealing only with America here.

As believers we are to help the poor. As an individual and as a church. But the Bible never tells as that we have to have a government that takes from some and gives to others. It's always a command to believers ONLY. And it is up to the INDIVIDUAL on how much and to whom the INDIVIDUAL gives. It's between the INDIVIDUAL and God.

And the Bible doesn't say a thing about national healthcare. Once again it's about the individual and the church. It tells us as an individual we should care for the sick, give water to the thirsty, care for the stranger. Be kind and compassionate. It doesn't command us to force our neighbor to do the same. It's about believers doing their part not about a government doing everything and providing for everyone's needs.

And the church in Acts moved to take care of each other. And I would hope the church today is doing the same. As you read Paul's letters you discover that the churches did not all and could not all do what happened in the church in the beginning of Acts. And none of the apostles commanded any of the churches to do what happened then. In fact Paul ASKED the churches to help as they could. And told each person that there was no requirement on how much they needed to give.

And the church in Acts only helped their BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST. They did not give all their money and belongings to everyone thoughout the city.

Paul also commanded that people in the church that were helped had to work. They had to work in the church and work to help others. He also said if a person does not work they should not eat.

As a compassionate nation we SHOULD help people. I believe in compassionate capitalism. If an employer can afford it. They should provide health insurance to their employees. Even the part timers. It's good for business in the end. It makes for happier employees which makes them more likely to support the business and hopefully work harder. Which in turn makes the business better.

I believe as a compassionate society that we should help the helpless. If you cannot work because of illness or disability then we should take care of you. If you can work then you should be working.

A few years ago when unemployment was high, unemployment benefits were extended. I heard from a number of people who told me or others than they were not going to look for a job for the entire time they had extended unemployment. They were just going to enjoy their time off. ON OUR DIME. I talked to a number of employers who could not get employees they needed because the people who applied didn't really want to work for them. They wanted to stay on unemoyment. So the business was running short on people.

Can we do better on healthcare? I believe we can. There are a number of things we can do without going for single payer.

Bottom line is neither Christ nor the apostles commanded government to take care of anyone. Not did they advocate for forcing others to take care of people. He commanded YOU to do it. He commanded ME to do it. He didn't tell me I should go to my unbelieving neighbor and demand he do it.

And I and my family DO help others. Christians are the most generous people I know with their own money. Our church is constantly involved in our community helping people. Most churches are.

So as a society we should have justice with mercy. Help people in need but they must do things to help themselves as well. Both are needed to be compassionate.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,230.00
Faith
Pentecostal

Thanks for those verses. I wanted to use them, but didn't take the time to look them up. They are often forgotten in this type of debate.

The teaching of Christ to give is too often the only thing some will hear. They will ignore these verses.

The teaching of giving is important, the teaching of work, and motivation and dependancy is just as IMPORTANT as giving. It's equal in its value.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think you hit the nail on the head. These things you mention as a Christian are outside the political sphere. We as believers are supposed to help those in need. We are never commanded to end poverty. We can't and won't. The Bible tells us that there will always be poor people. We cannot remove poverty. Because poverty is most often the result of the consequences of poor choices in America. And we are dealing only with America here.
But you are looking at it as an ACTION and not as a MINDSET. I think that is where we differ. My desire to help the poor is my desire to help the poor. I do that by advocating by contributing through my church, by volunteering and working with that population, and by advocating that my tax dollars are used to help the poor.

As believers we are to help the poor. As an individual and as a church. But the Bible never tells as that we have to have a government that takes from some and gives to others. It's always a command to believers ONLY. And it is up to the INDIVIDUAL on how much and to whom the INDIVIDUAL gives. It's between the INDIVIDUAL and God.
The Bible never tells us what kind of government to have so that point is beyond moot. The Bible also doesn't tell us to have a government that outlaws homosexuality OR abortion and yet here we are. Right wingers will argue that the government NEEDS to intervene to stop abortions but it's certainly not outlined in the Bible anywhere.

So then what? Well, as a CHRISTIAN, what do you want your tax dollars to go towards? As a Christian, should your tax dollars go towards a wall keeping poor people away or should it go to a soup kitchen to help hte poor in your community?

And the Bible doesn't say a thing about national healthcare. Once again it's about the individual and the church. It tells us as an individual we should care for the sick, give water to the thirsty, care for the stranger. Be kind and compassionate. It doesn't command us to force our neighbor to do the same. It's about believers doing their part not about a government doing everything and providing for everyone's needs.
This argument is soooooooooo weak dude.
If you buy health insurance you are providing for other people's needs.
I mean, you KNOW that right. You know that insurance schemes ALL work this way. YOu KNOW this. Your insurance payments pay for other people's work.
So take another kick at that can.
You are not a doctor, but you are willing to pay for SOME people to have a doctor help them, but ONLY if they have enough money.

And the church in Acts moved to take care of each other. And I would hope the church today is doing the same. As you read Paul's letters you discover that the churches did not all and could not all do what happened in the church in the beginning of Acts. And none of the apostles commanded any of the churches to do what happened then. In fact Paul ASKED the churches to help as they could. And told each person that there was no requirement on how much they needed to give.
Man, but don't you GET it?
It's not about REQUIREMENT, it's about ATTITUDE.

And the church in Acts only helped their BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST. They did not give all their money and belongings to everyone thoughout the city.
Again, mindset.

Paul also commanded that people in the church that were helped had to work. They had to work in the church and work to help others. He also said if a person does not work they should not eat.
That is FALSE. He said anyone who doesn't WANT to work. That verse is misquoted to the extreme and then it becomes misapplied. There are many, many people who are unable to work or unable to hold down jobs. Let me know if you need some examples.

As a compassionate nation we SHOULD help people. I believe in compassionate capitalism. If an employer can afford it. They should provide health insurance to their employees. Even the part timers. It's good for business in the end. It makes for happier employees which makes them more likely to support the business and hopefully work harder. Which in turn makes the business better.

I believe as a compassionate society that we should help the helpless. If you cannot work because of illness or disability then we should take care of you. If you can work then you should be working.
But here's the mind blower: You DON'T believe that. You don't believe in a compassionate society. You HOPE for compassionate individuals to step up. A compassionate society uses all the tools available to them to support those in need. It's not a society that says "This is how we must help people and there is no other way".

A few years ago when unemployment was high, unemployment benefits were extended. I heard from a number of people who told me or others than they were not going to look for a job for the entire time they had extended unemployment. They were just going to enjoy their time off. ON OUR DIME. I talked to a number of employers who could not get employees they needed because the people who applied didn't really want to work for them. They wanted to stay on unemoyment. So the business was running short on people.
1)Have you lived on unemployment? Being on unemployment, essentially keeps you from dying for the most part.
2) So what? That some people do that is between them and their conscious. Are you going to withhold support from people in need because of a "few people you talked"?

Can we do better on healthcare? I believe we can. There are a number of things we can do without going for single payer.
But that attitude just seems so absurd. Still, I'm curious.
How can you ensure thta EVERYONE receive adequate health care without causing the prices you pay to explode. Your entire system is a shambles and so many stories are terrible. And single payer systems are just better. They JUST ARE. It can't be denied. Don't be affraid of that change when it comes.

Bottom line is neither Christ nor the apostles commanded government to take care of anyone. Not did they advocate for forcing others to take care of people. He commanded YOU to do it. He commanded ME to do it. He didn't tell me I should go to my unbelieving neighbor and demand he do it.
Well this argument is just silly. Christ wasn't here to work with governments in ANY way! He worked to touch people, individuals. He tried to teach them that God will provide for them; that they don't need to worry "because not a hair will fall for from your head". And yet there is FEAR in people at a single payer system. There is FEAR over a food stamp program EXISTING because it may not be 100% efficient or something like 3% of cases are fraudulent.

I find it kind of humorous that right wingers expect me to think that their motives for this is altruistic "I don't want nonbelievers to help the poor. I have to but other people don't". They don't have an obligation to do that". It feels like a truly disgusting view of humanity really; that nobody has to care for anyone unless the deity you believe in requires it of you.

Out of curiousity, did you know that the fraud rate for government programs in multimillion and billion dollar outcomes is ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE greater than fraud cases amongst the poor. And yet I NEVER hear concerns about that. Why do we allow rich people to get away with it but not the poor folk? (Hint: Because rich people will drag cases through courts for decades bearing a HUGE expense to the IRS. There was an article on this a few months ago even. Poor people can't fight).

And I and my family DO help others. Christians are the most generous people I know with their own money. Our church is constantly involved in our community helping people. Most churches are.
I agree and I love it and it's beautiful. And there is no ethical or logical reason to not WANT that to happen across our society.

Help people in need but they must do things to help themselves as well. Both are needed to be compassionate.
Find me the Bible verse thta supports "Help people in need BUT they must do things to help themselves as well". A single verse that expresses both of those ideas.

I struggle to find them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Thursday morning’s National Prayer Service, which Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris attended virtually, featured a powerful homily by the Rev. Dr. William Barber II. Barber is the co-chair of the Poor People’s Campaign and one of the most recognizable faith-based social justice advocates in the nation.

“Grant us wisdom and courage for the facing of this hour until, together, we make sure there is racial justice and economic justice and living-wage justice and health care justice and ecological justice and disability justice and justice for homeless and justice for the poor and low-wealth and working poor and immigrant justice — until we study war no more and peace and justice are the way we live,” Barber said. “This is the only path to domestic tranquility and healing.”

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article248662985.html
Given it's stance on health care I'm not sure america can be a compassionate nation.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,230.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Was tithing a command or a voluntary sharing?

“You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt”(Ex.22:20).

“You shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the soul of the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt” (Ex.23:9).

“The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as one of your citizens; you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt” (Lev.19:34).

“You too must befriend the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt” (Deut.10:19)

“You shall not hate an Egyptian, for you were stranger in his land” (Deut.23:8).

“Always remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt; therefore do I enjoin you to observe this commandment” (Deut. 24:22)

Tithe was a command for the nation of Israel. And there is debate on whether or not it applies to the church. But even if it does apply it ONLY applies to the church and not secular government nor unbelievers. If you want to give a thithe to government in additional taxes then go ahead.

I'm assuming that when you are using the scriptures you do you are referring to immigration. Certainly we are to treat legal immigrants well and make sure they are accepted into our society as believers. As believers we are to treat them as the scripture says.

That is not the issue. We are talking about ILLEGAL immigration. And the Bible is not referring to those that are law breakers. Romans 13:1-7 commands us to obey the laws of the land.

And if we as believers encourage others to break the law, support them in breaking the law and we are in violation of the commands of God. Illegals are here in violation of the law of the land and God supports that law. We should feed them, clothe them, give them medicine and send them home to come here legally where they will gain full citizenship.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Many think that the 2 commands and the Sermon On The Mount were nice biblical stories, and mild suggestions, to be interpreted as one wishes.

And what did we do when Jesus came to us as a beggar?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tom1961

Jan 25, 2021
Illinois
✟9,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After actually reading the Bible, however, I found that Christian values goes ACROSS the political spectrum, NOT specific ends of it. Some of the Bible's values are clearly conservative, some clearly liberal, and some even take middle ground. Because of this, whenever someone labels himself as a "Conservative Christian" or a "Liberal Christian," they only come across to me as a Cafeteria Christian, in my own honest opinion. My mentor told me that as soon as preachers and pastors infuse politics into their sermons, walk away from it. During election season, they should tell you only this ONE thing: Vote.

I agree. Above all we are followers of a King that rules with no peer. We are all sinners and each of us lives in a nation that is sinful. What each nation got right, be it called conservative, liberal (or progressive), or centrist, is that which comes from the teaching of Scripture and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

In the USA we have a right to vote to choose those individuals that will represent us. This should be done with prayer and the discernment of who upholds the teachings of the Bible. Such passages as the Fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and 10 commandments (Exodus 20) come to mind. Don't cherry pick, each is as important as the others.

Likewise, those that represent us should rely on prayer and not their own selfish gains. We live in a Kingdom, not a Democracy. Let every knee bow and every tongue confess that Christ is Lord (See Philippians 2:10-11).

Upvote 0