Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the area that I live in there are more than a dozen of Southern Baptist Churches. We have visited more than 9 churches in recent years. Here are just a few things we have witnessed. A puppet shows from the pulpit; a pastor who did not get to the Resurrection of Christ in his message, because he had to pass out Easter baskets to the kids in order end the service on time; A Sunday School who admitted to an on going affair; A Sunday School teacher who believed solidly in evolution; A church who kept a pastor who was charged with having sex with a girl in a youth group refused to believe he did it. He eventually quit, and was convicted; Two churches almost ready to shut the doors; A church that kept a pastor that yelled at kids and parents, and was a "bully" with his deacon board. he finally quit after several years; A church that quit giving to the local Association and caused hardship for the other churches with many programs.

Also we noted pastors that did very little visiting of the visitors to their church. Most of the preaching we heard was poorly prepared, simple little sermonettes that had no meat, and some were completely boring. Most did not take advantage of world events that the Bible spoke to.

I have to wonder if there is not a GREAT FALLING AWAY from preaching the genuine WORD of GOD.

How many people sitting in the pews really live by the WORD's of GOD? How many even open their Bible during the week? Do we really follow Jesus/ Is the great falling away in me and you?

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are many things today that cause a lack of attendance in our churches. You have mentioned a few. But the falling away that is mentioned in scripture is not the exodus of the people from the churches. That falling away is actually the catching away of the saints to be with the Lord in the clouds. Use your Greek Lexicon and you will see the same word is use as referring to a ship leaving a harbor and disappearing over the horizon. This leaves a void on earth where the son of perdition can be revealed. Judas was referred to as the son of perdition also.

Reactions: farout
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is indeed a struggle for evangelical churches to remain relevant in today's world. I don't know what the recipe is, but I'm thankful that our church is booming -- including hundreds of young people.

I'd have to re-study the "falling away" passages, but I don't think they are talking about people leaving congregations but rather people leaving the faith altogether (or not accepting it in the first place). In either case, these are difficult days for Christianity.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The falling away has been happening for many years actually. It isn't just people not attending but the preaching of everything but the Gospel of Christ in truth. It is free will works religion taught and the absolute sovereignty of God our Savior being replaced by the sovereignty of man and his will. It is preachers having itching ears who preach what the people want to hear instead of the truths of the Scriptures. It is men trying to build the church instead of trusting that Christ will build His church.

There is a famine in the land. It is a famine of the Word. Yet, by God's wondrous grace, there are still "cities of refuge" placed by Christ where He is preached in all His glorious person and work.

Here is where you may find a few:
http://freegraceradio.com/FreeGraceRadioSpeakers.html

Upvote 0