A good or bad reason to join the ministry?

Bobby H

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2013
✟60,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For the last ten years or so (I'm 34 now) I have thought a little bit at a time about the ministry. For awhile I felt like God was calling me, and I was afraid and wanted to run from it. Then for awhile I felt like I wanted Him to call me, but I felt that I wasn't truly called. I don't know which is true. They can't both be.

Anyways, I've worked for the same company for the last 15 years -- close to half of my life and nearly all of my adult life. It has its ups and downs, but sometimes I worry about losing my job. What would I do? I don't have a college degree. I worry about how to provide for myself in the event of a major illness or other catastrophe as well. And of course, I just plain worry about being able to "compete" (for lack of a better term) in the rat race.

I was thinking today that I want out of it all. All the stress and worry from the work-a-day world. Part of me thinks that being a minister would not be as stressful. I enjoy praying for people and helping to talk with them about their problems. There aren't really any things in this world, honestly, that I think I'm good at.

Part of me thinks that if I were a minister, I wouldn't worry as much because I know that what I'd be doing was 100% for God and His Glory as opposed to helping a large company make more money.

But then it all comes back down to money. Being single, I know I don't have too many expenses, but I look at the ministry as something that men shouldn't be doing for money. I don't like hearing about Pastors and Preachers who are making money off the Gospel. I would feel guilty taking a salary.

For the record (and maybe I should have started with this), my father is a Bishop in the Anglican Church. He got ordained when I was in High School and kept his day job as a school teacher (he's now retired from the school teaching). Never once has he taken a salary for his work in the ministry. He enjoys it very much and I respect that.

I just don't know where to turn or what to do. A friend told me, "We are all called to the ministry," and I do believe that. I guess it's all a matter of what kind of ministry or in what capacity. I just was worrying for a long time that God would call me to some place I didn't want to go, or that I'd be wearing a collar or something.

As for wearing a priestly collar, part of me never wants to be that kind of guy. I mean no offense to those who have chosen it as a path (my father wears one as a bishop), but I would feel weird in it. I don't want to be one of those hip blue jeans pastors, either. And like I said, I don't know what capacity it would be in (or even truthfully, what denomination). Perhaps it's egotistical of me to assume that I would be in some sort of leadership role.

Please pray for me that I may know my exact calling from God and that I can be faithful to it... and that I have the RIGHT reasons for doing it.

JojotheBeloved

Part of the Family
Apr 18, 2014
✟8,622.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I just prayed for you and for God to show you where He wants you to serve His people and how.

As for the other things - do not go into ministry with the perspective that it's a way to escape stress. Ministry as a profession is one of the most stressful jobs there is. Yes, you are serving God and that is VERY rewarding. But in serving God, God doesn't always put you in easy situations. Dealing with people in leadership means dealing with people's pain and personal baggage etc. Taking that on is something pastors struggle with, because we want to help people, but we can't take too much of their issues to heart or it will hurt us and our relationships.
Don't get into ministry for money - because there isn't much to be had if you're doing it right and if you're not doing it right you are extorting people. Which is obviously wrong. But if God calls you to ministry in a professional capacity, don't be afraid of earning an income. Pastoral skills are valuable skills for a community to have and by paying a minister the members of the church community can have access to skills for free that they would otherwise have to pay much more for - such as introductory counseling for example. A good worker is always worth their pay. So if you do join professional pastoral ministry, make sure you're a good worker, you love people, and you are working for the Lord. If you do that, you'll be worth your earned income.

Upvote 0

James.a

Mar 17, 2011
Mifflinburg - PA
✟7,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I will be praying for you and Gods direction in your life. Please do be careful and dont jump into this too hastly. Wait for God and his clarity. Some of what you had said, worries me on whether you are called or if you the idea of thinking your called. Im not saying you are, and not saying your not, thats not my call. All of what Jojo said is right on. Being a pastor is one of the most stressful position there is. You are responsible for everything and everyone in the church the things they bring to you for counseling, advice, and confidence. Not only that, but you are also accountable unto God for everything that you taught in the church.
As for your friend telling you we are all called to the ministry.....no, no, no. We are all called to spread the Gospel and tell others about God. Some of us in the workplace, some us sus to the person in line at the grocery store, etc, but we are not all called to the ministry. Thats a very dangerous thought to have.
It is my hope that this helps you and gives you some to think about. Its not a cake walk in the park, and not a simple Im tired of what I do, but i like helping people type of decision. It is a very big and important call.
God bless,
James

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was thinking today that I want out of it all. All the stress and worry from the work-a-day world. Part of me thinks that being a minister would not be as stressful. I enjoy praying for people and helping to talk with them about their problems. There aren't really any things in this world, honestly, that I think I'm good at.

I'm sorry, but there is no reason to think that. Ministry these days can be very stressful. People sometimes have expectations that are completely unreasonable. Are you volunteering anywhere in your church now? Maybe you can intern or work with the pastor you now have and let him mentor you? That way you can see what he really does as opposed to what you think happens.

Upvote 0

Bobby H

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2013
✟60,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're all right about the stresses of the ministry. I apologize for acting as though it would be easy. It's easier to say this in hindsight now, but when I posted that, I was worried about my job (we were going through some changes) and I was looking at it from a very bad viewpoint. I wanted to run and hide, basically. Things have gotten better, but I still need to keep seeking the Lord's will in my life and pray that I will be obedient to Him and do whatever He calls me to do, large or small.

Thank you all for your prayers and your responses.

Reactions: Razare
Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God can both call you away from something and call you to something else at different times. The problem is when we try to run ahead of God when he has not yet revealed what He wants us to do next. I'm somewhat of a expert on running ahead of God, so you can trust me on that :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

If you are getting into ministry because it is a way to take care of your family financially with all due respect that is the wrong reason. Pastoring is laying your life down for others, putting them first before you. If you see the people as a way to make a living you are not in the right spirit.

James 3
1Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

Now, if you feel the Lord has called you to Pastor start doing it. Start Pastoring people, pour into them, invest in their walk even if not a single man sees or you get any credit for it. The Father sees all. Be faithful with the little. You do not need a title to start being a shepherd of men. Start a bible study at your home, pray earnestly for those who come, study hard to feed them well (you love me, feed my sheep).

I would also remind that Paul the Apostle had a job, building tents. This is mentioned over and over in the NT. Where we got the idea that we need to get paid to pastor people is not even a biblical one. It is a calling, not a profession.

Be blessed

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Others have covered other things I would have said already, but another thought too...

A call to ministry is always to a particular context. I am called to be an Anglican priest; therefore I am not called to be a Baptist pastor (etc). If you're not sure in what context or denomination you feel you might be called, I would suggest first find the context or denomination in which you are at home as a member. Put down roots, build relationships, get involved, discover and use your gifts. That's a good starting point for discerning whether or not you're called to a leadership and teaching role in that context.

If you haven't done that yet, I think it's not surprising that the idea of vocation is causing confusion and uncertainty.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't like hearing about Pastors and Preachers who are making money off the Gospel. I would feel guilty taking a salary.

Well, I think you should change your thinking on this. It sounds bad to the world, but if we study scripture, even Paul accepted funding from churches that wanted to give to him. He did not charge for the gospel, but he did not turn down those who wanted to help him minister. 2 Corinthians 8 and 9 deal with finances and giving to ministries to support ministers.

Consider it this way...

and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, the name Melchizedek means "king of righteousness"; then also, "king of Salem" means "king of peace." - Hebrews 7:2

Abraham gave a man who was of a greater priesthood, a tenth of what he had. This blessed Abraham. So if you're Godly person, a priest of God doing his work, then if someone gives to you, God blesses them.

I wouldn't try to get in between God and that other person and try to mess up their blessing with our pride and guilty feelings, because scripture doesn't really point us in this direction.

When it comes to spending ministry money, it's about stewardship. It's not about poverty because that is anti-gospel, again 2 Corinthians 8 and 9. Nor is it about being self-centered or loving money and being greedy.

I just don't know where to turn or what to do. A friend told me, "We are all called to the ministry," and I do believe that. I guess it's all a matter of what kind of ministry or in what capacity. I just was worrying for a long time that God would call me to some place I didn't want to go, or that I'd be wearing a collar or something.

I agree. I would start with your work and minister there. If you do it God's way, how it works is he starts you small and you learn. Maybe you have already started and don't realize it? You said you pray for others and can talk to them. This is ministry.

And where we bear fruit of God this is good. Then if we allow God, he will prune us when we begin to bear a little fruit. This will seem like adversity in our life. Parts of our life will die off and end. Yet God does this to focus us to a greater degree toward what he has called us to do in Christ. Then we can bear a large harvest.

As for wearing a priestly collar, part of me never wants to be that kind of guy. I mean no offense to those who have chosen it as a path (my father wears one as a bishop), but I would feel weird in it. I don't want to be one of those hip blue jeans pastors, either. And like I said, I don't know what capacity it would be in (or even truthfully, what denomination). Perhaps it's egotistical of me to assume that I would be in some sort of leadership role.

Please pray for me that I may know my exact calling from God and that I can be faithful to it... and that I have the RIGHT reasons for doing it.

I believe people can be pastors if they are committed to God, even if God never puts them in that office.

The only issue with this would be... what does God want them to actually do in ministry?

You see, if you find God's ministry for you, this is greater than anything else. There is no higher office than fulfilling the office God called you to.

When I asked God for instructions as a new Christian, God said, "love your family." This is my office in the church. If I went and tried to do something else, I would be hindering God's plan, and destroying the ministry God has for me.

People might think it is better to go be a missionary and I was tempted to do this... but how do I love my family far away where I never see them? It's better to do it God's way.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Darkness Flame

May 18, 2016
Bothell
✟7,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Others have covered other things I would have said already, but another thought too...

A call to ministry is always to a particular context. I am called to be an Anglican priest; therefore I am not called to be a Baptist pastor (etc). If you're not sure in what context or denomination you feel you might be called, I would suggest first find the context or denomination in which you are at home as a member. Put down roots, build relationships, get involved, discover and use your gifts. That's a good starting point for discerning whether or not you're called to a leadership and teaching role in that context.

If you haven't done that yet, I think it's not surprising that the idea of vocation is causing confusion and uncertainty.
You don't question the denominations themselves?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think, if we were in an ideal church, there would not be denominations. But we are in a church which is not perfect, and there are fractures among us. That's a basic fact of life and history.

That said, I think it's important to find a community and tradition in which to worship and grow and contribute which is a reasonable fit. Not that you want to only go to a church which gives you everything you want, as if it were a consumerist exercise, but that you want to go to a church which is going to nurture you in helpful ways.

Reactions: Razare
Upvote 0