Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Totally disagree with that list.

Corgi's should be at the very top!

We are very clever. I can type and read! I been training my master to do certain tricks and, just recently i been teaching him to hunt for food and also, on how to use his teeth when faced with a threat!

6bb1c88c425ba1c1c44eb73bf36894d3--herd-teeth.jpg

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Totally disagree with that list.

We are very clever. I can type and read! I been training my master to do certain tricks and, just recently i been teaching him to hunt for food and also, on how to use his teeth when faced with a threat!

View attachment 284811
I would prefer an obedient dog than a smart typing, wise cracking one. lol jk4

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
JM,

I like the Tibetan Mastiff. But they can be hard to handle.

From the AKC:

Coming face to face with this ancient behemoth, an intruder up to no good will likely move on to easier pickings. TMs can stand 26 inches at the shoulder and weigh well over 100 pounds. It’s impossible to discuss this breed without leaning on words like “powerful,” “muscular,” “massive,” and “substantial.” And yet, TMs are quite light-footed and will meet a perceived threat with surprising agility. The broad head, with its high-set, V-shaped ears and expressive brown eyes, projects a noble, sagacious expression.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
JM,

I like the Tibetan Mastiff. But they can be hard to handle.

From the AKC:

Coming face to face with this ancient behemoth, an intruder up to no good will likely move on to easier pickings. TMs can stand 26 inches at the shoulder and weigh well over 100 pounds. It’s impossible to discuss this breed without leaning on words like “powerful,” “muscular,” “massive,” and “substantial.” And yet, TMs are quite light-footed and will meet a perceived threat with surprising agility. The broad head, with its high-set, V-shaped ears and expressive brown eyes, projects a noble, sagacious expression.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella
Big, nice looking dog! I like pugs lol and miss mine. The next one, if I ever get another, will be a rescue.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My wife and I decided on a bulldog hybrid. The bloodlines include English Bulldog, American Bulldog, Pitbull and Bull Mastiff. I've had a chance to see these dogs in action and they are well breed and very healthy, we do plan on obedience classes to help make this dog a well mannered addition to our home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If you have a dog that is just for company then getting who eats very little would make sense.

If it was for hunting then that list didn't name some of the dogs that hunters use at night to hunt.
We are looking for a companion dog, a watch dog that looks tough to deter anyone trying to enter the home illegally. I've already signed my pup up for obedience classes in the fall and have worked with dogs a little in the past.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The border collie shepherd was the best mixed breed I ever had. The shepherd makes them smart and protective, the collie makes them good family dogs. I can explain with a story. My brother Paul told my neighbor he could borrow his stereo. Smoky knew this neighbor, he petted her all the time. He came over and she allowed him to enter but when he tried to leave with that stereo, she growled and blocked him from doing so. He had to call my brother who had to come over and remove the stereo himself giving it to his friend in front of Smoky, only then did she let him take it.

I also have a story, The Tale of two Burglary's in the story section of the writers guild here:

The Tale of Two Burglars

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The border collie shepherd was the best mixed breed I ever had. The shepherd makes them smart and protective, the collie makes them good family dogs. I can explain with a story. My brother Paul told my neighbor he could borrow his stereo. Smoky knew this neighbor, he petted her all the time. He came over and she allowed him to enter but when he tried to leave with that stereo, she growled and blocked him from doing so. He had to call my brother who had to come over and remove the stereo himself giving it to his friend in front of Smoky, only then did she let him take it.

I also have a story, The Tale of two Burglary's in the story section of the writers guild here:

The Tale of Two Burglars
Sounds like a great dog, thanks for sharing.

What makes the biggest difference between the average dog and the great dog? Love, training, consistency, good diet, exposure to other animals and people, etc. What do the readers believe is the key factor in a great dog?

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like a great dog, thanks for sharing.

What makes the biggest difference between the average dog and the great dog? Love, training, consistency, good diet, exposure to other animals and people, etc. What do the readers believe is the key factor in a great dog?

Breed does play a role but diet keeps them healthy and exposure to children and other animals when they are young can save troubles, and of course love does indeed play a major role. Beyond these three, dogs need more of our time and far more exercise than other pets. They are more family than pets and a needy child that will never really grow up completely. They do best with a field, or park near by where they can run but training to come when called is also important.

In return they give unconditional love and keep us well exercised. Some breeds even add a level of protection better than locks. Some can watch (and herd) children like sheep. Some are even friendly and accepting of cats. So when adopting a dog you need to ask yourself these questions:

1. Do I or someone in our home have time to take this dog for walks daily?
2. Can I train a dog or am I willing to learn to train a dog?
3. Do I want a more mature dog with whatever issues they bring with them, a rescue dog (see former) or a puppy? Rescue dog maybe a little harder to train but once train are far more loving. They seem to know you saved their lives.
4. If puppy am I willing to deal with a baby for two years and the accidents that will happen?
5. How much access of your house will you give your dog? Are these areas child proof? Are there any toxic plants in reach or chocolate?
6. if outside is the dog house insulated against cold and heat? Where is his source of water? Will he be fenced in or chained?

These are just some questions I can think of that new dog owners should consider before bring a dog home.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Our bully is growing fast weighting 45lbs at just 5 months! He is very protective and has a good bit and can hit very hard when blocking. We haven't taken him for lessons yet because he's pretty easy to train.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree, the most successful hunter I've known had a Corgi/mix (beagle I think...) that would flush out deer. It was a great hunting dog and cute too!

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I agree, the most successful hunter I've known had a Corgi/mix (beagle I think...) that would flush out deer. It was a great hunting dog and cute too!
Was it a barker? I dislike all the barking and the only beagles I know bark like crazy.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Was it a barker? I dislike all the barking and the only beagles I know bark like crazy.
I know what you mean about beagles! But no, this dog was mostly quiet, though it would bark while in hot pursuit. It would just go through the brush and scare the deer out, usually towards us. I don't know why, I don't think he ever trained it, it just liked looking for and scaring deer. :)

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0