A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was driving along Lincoln Boulevard in San Jose, California, and I glanced to the right at the sign in front of the church. Imagine my surprise when I saw the words in living color which read "Croatian Roman Catholic Church."

If only these bishops churches would check with the CF apologists before emblazoning their category mistakes before the watching public.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A. believer said:
If only these bishops churches would check with the CF apologists before emblazoning their category mistakes before the watching public.
Huh? No Croatians who are Roman Cathoics?

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
AliOgg said:
I'm sorry but I don't get it , would you like to explain in simple terms , what your point is?

And God Bless All His Peoples.

I can guess at the point AB is making, but I don't want to speculate.

Funny thing, though. I used to be a San Jose police officer many moons ago, back when Joe McNamara was chief.

Upvote 0

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
A. believer said:
For those who want to share in my amusement, see this post.

The link takes you to my response which has the original post included, but the post itself, is just above my response.

No, the picture is just a little rolling smiley icon. You should get it when you read IgnatiusOfAntioch's post. And he posted the same post to different people about four times that week. He insists that Croation Catholics (as well as a number of other Catholics) shouldn't be referred to as Roman Catholic, with the strong implication that those of us who lump all Catholics in submission to the Pope together as Roman Catholics are ignorant or worse. But apparently the Croatian Roman Catholics of San Jose think otherwise. That's why I got such a kick out of seeing that sign.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:
I can guess at the point AB is making, but I don't want to speculate.

Funny thing, though. I used to be a San Jose police officer many moons ago, back when Joe McNamara was chief.

Then we were practically neighbors (if you were here in August, 1988 or later). I've lived in Santa Clara and Sunnyvale since then.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A. believer said:
Then we were practically neighbors (if you were here in August, 1988 or later). I've lived in Santa Clara and Sunnyvale since then.

Nope. Sorry. I grew up in the SJ area (went to high school in Milpitas at the old Samuel Ayer High), but left in 1983 for the East, where I was born and had spent part of my childhood (long story - Dad in Navy, moved a lot).

I worked for Hayward P.D. and then SJPD on the East Side, mainly districts 1, 3, and 9, as they were known then - King and Story, Alum Rock - you know.

Good police department there in San Jose.

My folks live in Stockton now. I've got a brother in Lodi, another in El Dorado Hills (near Sacramento), and a sister in Sacramento.

Upvote 0

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:
Nope. Sorry. I grew up in the SJ area (went to high school in Milpitas at the old Samuel Ayer High), but left in 1983 for the East, where I was born and had spent part of my childhood (long story - Dad in Navy, moved a lot).

I worked for Hayward P.D. and then SJPD on the East Side, mainly districts 1, 3, and 9, as they were known then - King and Story, Alum Rock - you know.

Good police department there in San Jose.

My folks live in Stockton now. I've got a brother in Lodi, another in El Dorado Hills (near Sacramento), and a sister in Sacramento.

Heh. I went in the other direction. I moved from the Boston area to California in 1982. Moved the other direction theologically, too (although I never had any connection with the East, theologically.)

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A. believer said:
Heh. I went in the other direction. I moved from the Boston area to California in 1982. Moved the other direction theologically, too (although I never had any connection with the East, theologically.)

That is strange. I was still there in '82, though, chasing low riders around East San Jose.

I was still a free-wheeling Protestant with a Thompson Chain Reference Bible when I left California (I still have that Bible, BTW).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:
That is strange. I was still there in '82, though, chasing low riders around East San Jose.

I was working in L.A. for two years, then in Chico (Chico State) from '85 until '88.

I was still a free-wheeling Protestant with a Thompson Chain Reference Bible when I left California (I still have that Bible, BTW).

Yeah, but do you still read it? ;)

Upvote 0

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
A. believer said:
I was driving along Lincoln Boulevard in San Jose, California, and I glanced to the right at the sign in front of the church. Imagine my surprise when I saw the words in living color which read "Croatian Roman Catholic Church."

A. believer,

I'm sure you've just misinterpreted, misread, or cherry picked (the new favorite word in GT) that quote from the sign. It can't mean what you think it means. :sorry:

Upvote 0

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
racer said:
A. believer,

I'm sure you've just misinterpreted, misread, or cherry picked (the new favorite word in GT) that quote from the sign. It can't mean what you think it means. :sorry:

Yep, there I go again. Relying on my own, personal, individual private judgment for interpreting signs.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Unfortunately, while amusing, the post is somewhat ignorant. Often times there are ethnic parishes that identify as such - within the Latin rite. Or more properly, it is a Mission of the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Jose.

The actual name of the Church, not that anyone cares, is Saint Mary of the Assumption Croatian Mission.

It celebrates Mass in the Roman / Latin rite, is run by the Croatian branch of the Franciscans and offers mass in both English and Croatian. All of this can easily be found out by reading the Diocese of San Jose website. Unfortunately, that appears to be asking too much - particularly when one is attempting to score a point. Too bad the point was fully incorrect.

And just so we all know that we're both talking about the same parish:

Saint Mary of the Assumption Croatian Mission
901 Lincoln Avenue
San Jose, CA 95126-3711
408-279-0279
408-292-5868 fax

Hope that clears it up.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.