Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello, all. I have a friend who I've known most of my life, and he's going through some very difficult times right now. His dad recently died, most of his Facebook posts are about depression. He quit drinking last year, after too many unpleasant experiences with drunkenness, and was doing quite well, until too many things went wrong. He's now having whiskey with breakfast (something I joked about, until I remembered he was trying not to drink at all), and when I mentioned that getting back into drinking was never a good thing, this was his response:

It’s what happens when you try and find happiness and loose yourself along the way. Then you get tied around someone you think is right, they wind up playing you for everything you’re worth, then leave. Putting one in a nice, deep dark pit of self-isolation and despair for yet a 2nd time this year. Funny thing is! Same **** chick. I just don’t get it, am I really that screwed up of an individual that I drive everyone away?

I didn't know what to say; I just replied,

For what it's worth, you've never driven me away.

I'm not asking for advice on this thread (it's against subforum rules anyway); I share all of the above to give you a better idea of the situation. I just ask for prayers, that I may always have kind words for him, and that he may be led to Christ through all of this; he doesn't have a religion at this point. I know God helped me through my low spots, and I know He can help my friend, I just pray for the grace to say the right thing at the right time. Or for someone else to; God knows how to work best. But I guess he's okay overall; he has a home, a job (though not a very good one in either regard), and an old friend who's trying to maintain an encouraging dialogue with him.

Thank you all.

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes Lord we pray for Unofficial Reverand Alex's friend....
I just ask for prayers, that I may always have kind words for him, and that he may be led to Christ through all of this;
for right words to say, and what not to say. For your Spirit to open his heart to the things of Christ, who is "a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Need some miracles in his life to turn it in the right direction. In Jesus name, Amen.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I pray he will be led to freedom from alcoholism and depression in whatever ways the Father knows are best for him.

Yes Lord we pray for Unofficial Reverand Alex's friend....

for right words to say, and what not to say. For your Spirit to open his heart to the things of Christ, who is "a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Need some miracles in his life to turn it in the right direction. In Jesus name, Amen.
Thanks, everyone. This means a lot to me.

Upvote 0

Stephanie7

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2004
✟111,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heavenly Father, thank You for ReverandAlex for he is an example of Your love and teachings and a good friend to the one in need. Provide him with the words to say to him and help him to minister to his friend so in the end, his friend will want to have what he has, and turn to You and be saved, In Jesus Name, Amen

Upvote 0

ZaneHe

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
College Station
✟75,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, all. I have a friend who I've known most of my life, and he's going through some very difficult times right now. His dad recently died, most of his Facebook posts are about depression. He quit drinking last year, after too many unpleasant experiences with drunkenness, and was doing quite well, until too many things went wrong. He's now having whiskey with breakfast (something I joked about, until I remembered he was trying not to drink at all), and when I mentioned that getting back into drinking was never a good thing, this was his response:

It’s what happens when you try and find happiness and loose yourself along the way. Then you get tied around someone you think is right, they wind up playing you for everything you’re worth, then leave. Putting one in a nice, deep dark pit of self-isolation and despair for yet a 2nd time this year. Funny thing is! Same **** chick. I just don’t get it, am I really that screwed up of an individual that I drive everyone away?

I didn't know what to say; I just replied,

For what it's worth, you've never driven me away.

I'm not asking for advice on this thread (it's against subforum rules anyway); I share all of the above to give you a better idea of the situation. I just ask for prayers, that I may always have kind words for him, and that he may be led to Christ through all of this; he doesn't have a religion at this point. I know God helped me through my low spots, and I know He can help my friend, I just pray for the grace to say the right thing at the right time. Or for someone else to; God knows how to work best. But I guess he's okay overall; he has a home, a job (though not a very good one in either regard), and an old friend who's trying to maintain an encouraging dialogue with him.

Thank you all.

Dear Heavenly Father, @Unofficial Reverand Alex's friend is experiencing some darkness. His dad just passed away, which made him very sad. He gets back to drinking again. Lord, I pray you to lift him up from this darkness and enter lightness. Please let him get closer to you and become your child. Please use @Unofficial Reverand Alex to do Your work. Give him wisdom and love from You. I pray in Jesus name, Amen!

Upvote 0