✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Try to do this for a day:

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” — Jesus

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” — Jesus

This sounds like we should not simply trust in the Lord's word when things are tough or impossible. What do you think happened with Israel when they fought against insurmountable odds by trusting God's word? Jesus said “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26) (NKJV).

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I do those things (to the best of my ability) and I'm not a Calvinist.

Unlimited atonement all day every day!

Thanks, Jord,

One question: How does doing those things, "to the best of your ability", qualify as actually doing those things?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, Jord,

One question: How doing those things, "to the best of your ability", qualify as actually doing those things?
Well, minding God all the time and loving every neighbour as yourself is not particularly easy, in my humble opinion. I think I love God a pretty great deal but can't guarantee I succeed at loving Him with all my heart, mind and soul at all times.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Well, minding God all the time and loving every neighbour as yourself is not particularly easy, in my humble opinion. I think I love God a pretty great deal but can't guarantee I succeed at loving Him with all my heart, mind and soul at all times.

How can you say that you do something when you don't do it?

Upvote 0

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. Do you?
Not really. But that's kind of what I mean by failing it. To answer your previous question, I do it but fail at times.

Why do you think loving God (and neighbours) leads to Calvinism? I see no reason at all.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Not really. But that's kind of what I mean by failing it. To answer your previous question, I do it but fail at times.

Why do you think loving God (and neighbours) leads to Calvinism? I see no reason at all.

So, you are saying that you do love God and neighbor *almost* perfectly? Is that correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, you are saying that you do love God and neighbor *almost* perfectly? Is that correct?
I think I can do better, but also that I am in the top 1 percentile worldwide among adults, in loving God. As far as loving neighbours, I could probably do a lot better but I am alone most of the time.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think I can do better, but also that I am in the top 1 percentile worldwide among adults, in loving God. As far as loving neighbours, I could probably do a lot better but I am alone most of the time.

Congratulations on being in the top one percent of fallen men. Leaving your of assessment of yourself aside for the moment, does God use your measure or His when He judges you?

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I don’t see how this would make someone a Calvinist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Congratulations on being in the top one percent of fallen men. Leaving your of assessment of yourself aside for the moment, does God use your measure or His when He judges you?
Thanks. Glory to God though, faith is His gift and I feel my love for Him is the same. Obviously God will judge according to His own measures, which is another reason for me to be not content with my dedication. I doubt He cares about percentiles or, comparisons at all.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No, I don’t think I can honestly say that I have.

Okay. I'm right with you.

How do you live with the discrepancy? For instance, do you believe God grades on a curve? Or, do you believe you do you best and God makes up the rest? Or, something else?

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0