A Florida cop pushed a teenager off a roof. His punishment: Forfeiting one vacation day.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Still trying to twist those words to say something else. You're not contributing to this discussion anymore.
If you were hoping for an echo chamber, then you are probably correct.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I live in Scotland, and I have never been to the US. However from what I read and see about American police officers, I get the impression that many are just bullying thugs. This doesn't surprise me.

And we have Stockholm Syndrome for our "authorities" here in the States, especially if they aren't doing the stuff to people that look like "us".

Be kind to us; we are a baby empire, and have yet to see the true consequences of our romanticism.

• Informative
Reactions: A Gerbil
Upvote 0

A Gerbil

Oct 8, 2019
Lanarkshire, Scotland
✟16,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And we have Stockholm Syndrome for our "authorities" here in the States, especially if they aren't doing the stuff to people that look like "us".

Be kind to us; we are a baby empire, and have yet to see the true consequences of our romanticism.

Am I correct in thinking you're alluding to racism? Unfortunately, unconscious bias is considered a human trait which doesn't just extend to race. I'm instinctively more suspicious of a young male than I would be an elderly woman, and some people would argue that I would have good reason to be. Allegations of racism are levelled at the British police force too, however I think generally speaking those allegations are unfair and unnecessary. American cops seem to be particularly brutal however regardless of racial issues.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Am I correct in thinking you're alluding to racism? Unfortunately, unconscious bias is considered a human trait which doesn't just extend to race. I'm instinctively more suspicious of a young male than I would be an elderly woman, and some people would argue that I would have good reason to be. Allegations of racism are levelled at the British police force too, however I think generally speaking those allegations are unfair and unnecessary. American cops seem to be particularly brutal however regardless of racial issues.

Its definitely racial with American cops; the police and their activity (hosing, dog attacks, beatings of Black men and now killing unarmed black people on camera, or in homes and getting slaps on the wrist) was openly supported as late as the 60s, and these people had sons and daughters who joined the fraternity of police with the same expectation of wielding power. The racial implications of police brutality against minorities in the States are very deep rooted.

What do you think would happen if American police were killing unarmed Irish-Americans and getting off for it on the basis of being afraid for one's life? Do you think Ireland would stand for American cops killing people of Irish heritage (but American citizenship)? What about German Americans, or Japanese Americans? Cops are allowed to do what they do to the people they do it to because those people aren't people of value in the States. It is that simple.

Having said all of that, NO I wasn't talking alluding to racism. Americans are afraid to stand up to authority, and they don't stand up to authority for someone who is outside of their tribe - which can include race, but also includes other things. What is happening in America is purposeful destabilization through decades of dehumanization and a campaign against education.

But you cannot say this in America, since we are romantics about our nation and it's greatness. When the nation has its first real collapse as an empire, then we will see what America actually is. In that sense, we are still babies that believe our incredible idealism.

• Informative
Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
In my former department (I’m retired), based on the available information, the officer would have been more severely punished for use of excessive force and been required to take retraining on the proper use of force, as well as proper procedures in handling persons in custody. I’ll guarantee that pushing an arrestee off of a roof is not an approved technique.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Its definitely racial with American cops; the police and their activity (hosing, dog attacks, beatings of Black men and now killing unarmed black people on camera, or in homes and getting slaps on the wrist) was openly supported as late as the 60s, and these people had sons and daughters who joined the fraternity of police with the same expectation of wielding power. The racial implications of police brutality against minorities in the States are very deep rooted.

Not according to the research...

https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2019/the-truth-behind-racial-disparities-in-fatal-police-shootings/

We found that the race of the officer doesn’t matter when it comes to predicting whether black or white citizens are shot," Cesario said. "If anything, black citizens are more likely to have been shot by black officers, but this is because black officers are drawn from the same population that they police. So, the more black citizens there are in a community, the more black police officers there are.”

More importantly...

Many people ask whether black or white citizens are more likely to be shot and why. We found that violent crime rates are the driving force behind fatal shootings,” Cesario said. “Our data show that the rate of crime by each racial group correlates with the likelihood of citizens from that racial group being shot.

Upvote 0