A Florida cop pushed a teenager off a roof. His punishment: Forfeiting one vacation day.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I live in Scotland, and I have never been to the US. However from what I read and see about American police officers, I get the impression that many are just bullying thugs. This doesn't surprise me.
It's less a problem of many being bullying thugs and more that when the thugs act out, they are protected by their fellow officers. Moreover, there are all the water carriers for police misconduct; they're very pro-police until some right-wing anti-government group points assault rifles at law enforcement.

The data and studies done on policing show there is a problem with training, but a bigger factor is the lack of accountability. For instance, in this case, the officer was found to be in the wrong with little consequence. This mirrors US Department of Justice reports in police departments across the country; police misconduct is either left under-investigated and if the complaint is sustained, there is little to no punishment, thus compounding the issue.

Reactions: A Gerbil
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I live in Scotland, and I have never been to the US. However from what I read and see about American police officers, I get the impression that many are just bullying thugs. This doesn't surprise me.
Don’t judge the police based on the anecdotal stories some choose to flood forums with.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Don’t judge the police based on the anecdotal stories some choose to flood forums with.
Don't argue that anecdotal stories are the only evidence of a policing problem in America. Continue to ignore DOJ reports and scientific studies if you wish.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Or you could, you know, comply with them and avoid ALL of this.
That's a poor argument; lack of compliance does not give a police officer free reign to use excessive force. Yes, he should have complied with police officers, but throwing him off a roof when he was going to head indoors with you is unacceptable. Likewise, subsequent arguments saying he didn't get hurt means it is okay does not fly either.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Or you could, you know, comply with them and avoid ALL of this.
A lot of folks do. But that doesn’t get headlines, or fit the narrative.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Don't argue that anecdotal stories are the only evidence of a policing problem in America. Continue to ignore DOJ reports and scientific studies if you wish.
There are no studies that support that cops are, as a whole, bad.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate the valued perspectives from two volunteers on this board who are, in fact, enforcement.

Yes, I think the police force was excessive. But yes, the fact that he was not seriously hurt does matter. The police got slapped on the wrist. But for this, a slap on the wrist is in order. The headline for this story makes it sound like some cop pushed some wide-eyed teen off the Empire State Building to their death, even as they were about to surrender. That is not what happened.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Gerbil

Oct 8, 2019
Lanarkshire, Scotland
✟16,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
All I'm saying is, the people I know personally with ties to law enforcement experience a far higher incidence of domestic abuse than 40%. And that's not even US-only.
Which is nothing more than anecdotal evidence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
All I'm saying is, the people I know personally with ties to law enforcement experience a far higher incidence of domestic abuse than 40%. And that's not even US-only.
This is expected , of course, and may be very conservative, or not.
The various law enforcement all (virtually if not actually) is subject to the worldly forces that have made 'abuse' a very big political thing, and 'domestic abuse' even bigger in some places - a huge political deal and money maker/ power play. (ie not related necessarily at all to reality any more)

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
And the OP calls me a staw man. :doh:
When you argue that someone is saying police officers, as a whole, are bad when no one said that, you're either being dishonest or ignorant of what was written in this thread. The data and studies from the DOJ and scientific studies have been posted in these threads before. But it won't matter, regardless of what is posted, you'll attempt to dismiss it without reading anything. :yawn:

I'm quite sure that most that think there is no problem have read none of the DOJ reports about various police departments across the nation that consistently show the same issues arising.

• Agree
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
When you argue that someone is saying police officers, as a whole, are bad when no one said that, you're either being dishonest or ignorant of what was written in this thread. The data and studies from the DOJ and scientific studies have been posted in these threads before. But it won't matter, regardless of what is posted, you'll attempt to dismiss it without reading anything. :yawn:

I'm quite sure that most that think there is no problem have read none of the DOJ reports about various police departments across the nation that consistently show the same issues arising.
Sorry if I missed that.
World wide, the police officers (and military forces, and other 'authorities' such),
are under the control of governments that do not have the best interest of the people in mind,
so in that regard in particular, as well as others,
they cannot be called good, can they?

The powers/ controls/ in the world are being summed up in babylon/ the beast, according to all Scripture... until Jesus Returns for His people, as written.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

It's less a problem of many being bullying thugs and more that when the thugs act out, they are protected by their fellow officers. Moreover, there are all the water carriers for police misconduct; they're very pro-police until some right-wing anti-government group points assault rifles at law enforcement.

The data and studies done on policing show there is a problem with training, but a bigger factor is the lack of accountability. For instance, in this case, the officer was found to be in the wrong with little consequence. This mirrors US Department of Justice reports in police departments across the country; police misconduct is either left under-investigated and if the complaint is sustained, there is little to no punishment, thus compounding the issue.
So, it was not a straw man.

Upvote 0