Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Note, I'm not asking whether or not a Christian *should* tithe. My husband and I do. That's not changing, and not what I'm asking about.

My question centers on whether or not a certain portion of income has already been tithed. I just want to see how others feel about it, and what Scriptures they would draw from.

Currently I am on medical leave from my job, due to a wrist injury. My husband has reverted to doing what he used to do before I could work at all. He gives me a small amount of cash every time he gets paid. I don't really find it necessary. I very rarely spend money myself. If I need something, or the house needs something, he pays for it. When we're out shopping or at a restaurant, he pays. Even if it's something strictly for me, not the house, and I tell him I can cover it with the cash he gave me, he'll tell me to hold on to it, and he still pays. If ever I am alone, and some situation comes up, I have access to debit and credit, or I could go to an ATM if I needed cash. I don't see the need to carry it around on me routinely. But he insists on giving it to me. After a few weeks of cash building up and sitting unused, I have now had occasion to help out both of my grown children in a pinch. So I suppose it's a good thing I did have it, then.

But my question is on tithing it. On one hand, he's already taken the tithe out of his paycheck before he gives me that cash. On the other hand, once he gives it to me, it becomes my income, and I should tithe on it.

How would you figure it?

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Note, I'm not asking whether or not a Christian *should* tithe. My husband and I do. That's not changing, and not what I'm asking about.

My question centers on whether or not a certain portion of income has already been tithed. I just want to see how others feel about it, and what Scriptures they would draw from.

Currently I am on medical leave from my job, due to a wrist injury. My husband has reverted to doing what he used to do before I could work at all. He gives me a small amount of cash every time he gets paid. I don't really find it necessary. I very rarely spend money myself. If I need something, or the house needs something, he pays for it. When we're out shopping or at a restaurant, he pays. Even if it's something strictly for me, not the house, and I tell him I can cover it with the cash he gave me, he'll tell me to hold on to it, and he still pays. If ever I am alone, and some situation comes up, I have access to debit and credit, or I could go to an ATM if I needed cash. I don't see the need to carry it around on me routinely. But he insists on giving it to me. After a few weeks of cash building up and sitting unused, I have now had occasion to help out both of my grown children in a pinch. So I suppose it's a good thing I did have it, then.

But my question is on tithing it. On one hand, he's already taken the tithe out of his paycheck before he gives me that cash. On the other hand, once he gives it to me, it becomes my income, and I should tithe on it.

How would you figure it?
That’s not considered income, so no tithe is necessary.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your replies so far. I was also wondering what would be a "good steward" way of managing the cash he insists on giving me. Once I return to my job, he won't continue to do this, because then I'll have my own income. As I state, it *is* a small amount that he gives me. Could be $10, could be $40, but it can build up, and sitting in my wallet rather than in an account, it won't even draw interest.

So as a good steward: Well, I did help my children out. I would also be glad to help out someone else in need, if I can. I could give to the church anyway, not as a tithe but as an offering.

And I suppose if it got to be an amount I don't feel safe carrying around, I could ATM it right back into our joint account?

Please pardon these questions on the grounds that I grew up very poor, remained poor until I married my husband, and never really had any money to manage. It's not like he's rolling in dough, but middle class is a big step up for me.

• Friendly
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

How would you figure it?

I don't believe in tithing for a Christian. If only a title "belongs to God," to whom belongs the rest? What do we have that is not gift? What do we have that is not already His? Our responsibility is to be good stewards of all that has been entrusted to us.

We are to love God with all of our heart, soul, mind, strength. All in our hands is His, if we are His. All.

Please forgive me for answering a question you did not ask. I believe this response ought to be put on the table....

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe in tithing for a Christian. If only a title "belongs to God," to whom belongs the rest? What do we have that is not gift? What do we have that is not already His? Our responsibility is to be good stewards of all that has been entrusted to us.

We are to love God with all of our heart, soul, mind, strength. All in our hands is His, if we are His. All.
Please note, I did say I don't wish to debate whether or not a Christian *should* tithe. My husband and I do, and that's that. This doesn't mean *only* the tithe is to be used for His glory. All of it is. And that's why my second post in this thread.

Do you have suggestions on how to manage money in a "good steward" way, apart from tithing? I would really appreciate that.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

How would you figure it?
IMO, the tithe was already paid on that money. It is yours. I wouldn't call an allowance from my husband "income." It's more like a share of his income which has already had a tithe. You could give an offering to the church but it would be above and beyond your obligatory tithe.

I don't tithe myself. I give an offering when the plate comes around and I just pray to God to forgive me, I have a very limited income. I used to give a monthly debit but it got to be a bit of hardship and even that wasn't a tenth.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your replies so far. I was also wondering what would be a "good steward" way of managing the cash he insists on giving me. Once I return to my job, he won't continue to do this, because then I'll have my own income. As I state, it *is* a small amount that he gives me. Could be $10, could be $40, but it can build up, and sitting in my wallet rather than in an account, it won't even draw interest.

So as a good steward: Well, I did help my children out. I would also be glad to help out someone else in need, if I can. I could give to the church anyway, not as a tithe but as an offering.

And I suppose if it got to be an amount I don't feel safe carrying around, I could ATM it right back into our joint account?

Please pardon these questions on the grounds that I grew up very poor, remained poor until I married my husband, and never really had any money to manage. It's not like he's rolling in dough, but middle class is a big step up for me.
Would this work for you? Just give away whatever feels right to you as an offering. Maybe to your kids, maybe to a homeless person, maybe to a mom that you see struggling in the grocery store. It will probably end up far exceeding the 10% that would be required if it were a tithe.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

How would you figure it?

How would you figure it?
Yes, the part of his income that your husband gives to you has already been counted into the tithe, so what is given to you is free and clear.
That means that you can use it as you see fit, whether it is to help your children, to help a stranger, or to treat yourself, you are free to spend that money or to save it.
May God richly bless both of you!

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,257.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced

How would you figure it?
It's already been tithed. :)

When I sold my last car, to help cover the cost of my house move, my Church Elder (who gives sound Biblical advice on tithing and is very generous himself) told me not to tithe what I got for it. I agreed as I had purchased the car out of my earnings which had already been tithed. I think that is similar in some ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Paul relates things like this in his talks dealing with holy days and such basically saying that it is between the person and God. If you think you should give 10% or whatever to God then that is what you will do if you think it should be off the gross amount or the net amount or money from you labors or money given to you or received from an insurance settlement then that is what you are to do. The laws in the OT about tithing don't really involve money and are for the benefit of the levitical priesthood at the time under the Law of Moses. As we as individuals are considered priests in a sense then if you are going God's work with the money we have legally we could "tithe" to ourselves to support our own ministry we do not have to have an organization in place to justify it.
I'm of the mindset if you want to give then give to someone doing God's work, or do God's work with the money and strive to give as you are felt to give don't limit yourself to either minimum or maximum be it 5% one week and 15% the next I don't see keeping track of it all has a lot of purpose as God' doesn't need our money if he needed money he could smash an asteroid in someone's back yard that has diamonds and gold or whatever in it or he could put it in the mind of a billionaire to give you a few million dollars out of the blue.
I've had no money to give at all and helped someone and counted that as a ministry to a certain extent.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Please note, I did say I don't wish to debate whether or not a Christian *should* tithe. My husband and I do, and that's that. This doesn't mean *only* the tithe is to be used for His glory. All of it is. And that's why my second post in this thread.

Do you have suggestions on how to manage money in a "good steward" way, apart from tithing? I would really appreciate that.

My wife and I have learned that being a good steward is as challenging, difficult, costly, humbling, frustrating and often troubling as being a follower of Christ in every other way. We have discovered that "donating to a worthy cause" has become a big business in itself. Big ministries, and some of the "small" ones, I've come to conclude, must hire the services of professional fund-raising agencies to manage for them the business of raising money. These professional money-raisers must sell to one another, their "contacts" lists of people who can be persuaded to give money for specific causes. Our mailbox can reliably be expected to bring on any given day a handful of requests for donations and more financial support from almost all of the charities we have every donated to, plus new ones - more ministries we have never heard of. We have never heard of them, but their fund-raising agencies have heard of us! Unknown ministries - or rather, their professional fund-raising agencies - know our name and address, and they are persistent to the point of being a nuisance. I think trees around the world must be shuttering in fear of being harvested to make ever more paper for the ever-growing mailings of pleas for more donations, more support.

Thus we now get unsolicited "donation requests" from ministries - Catholic and non-Catholic - from all over the world, and the attempt to be prayerfully discerning as to where we are to send our finite resources is more time-consuming than it ought to be. God doesn't need more bankers or "successful" religious businesses. He deserves LIFE in His Church.

One conclusion I have come to is this: God is in NO need for more money. He "needs" so to speak, more holiness among those who carry His Name. There are many "part-time" Christians giving a mixed witness of His Name; there are few fruitful in His Name.

Upvote 0