✟39,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Matthew 21:
Now in the morning, as He returned to the city, He was hungry.
19 And seeing a fig tree by the road, He came to it and found nothing on it but leaves,
and said to it, Let no fruit grow on you ever again. Immediately the fig tree withered away.
20 And when the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, How did the fig tree wither away
so soon?
21 So Jesus answered and said to them, Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, Be removed and be cast into the sea, it will be done.
22 And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.

When the disciples marvel at how quickly the fig tree withers, they receive a lesson
on faith. Why do you think He says "if you say to this mountain"?
Is there any significance to the fact that it is a fig tree, rather than say, an olive tree?

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
s there any significance to the fact that it is a fig tree, rather than say, an olive tree?

Well the fig tree was a kind of national symbol for Israel. It's place in their culture is almost identical to the apple tree in the US, where apple pie, legends like Johnny Apple seed are part of our heritage, same thing only with figs. Besides that, like the apple tree, the fig tree was considered to be the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden. (It has some sexual symbolism in the Mediterranean based on what a cluster of figs looks like... And also considered an aphrodisiac because of that).

Anyway Greeks and Italians had Olive trees even saint Paul would use that tree as analogy for Israel and the gentiles "being grafted in", which I think lent itself more to how Olive trees are cultivated. But cursing the fig tree at a street in Jerusalem was a prophetic sign, roughly the equivalent of shooting down a bald eagle with a shotgun near Capital Hill in Washington D.C. A great way of symbolizing the particular nation was going to fall under judgement.

Besides that I suppose based on the Garden of Eden connotations one might see it as a foreshadowing of Christ death on cross dealing with ancestral sin (original sin). But that is not the typical direction it is taken as far as commentary etc. But this information came from reading a Messianic web site years ago... where Christ remark to Nathanael "I saw you under the fig tree" had more than just literal connotations (Could be taken as a Statement from his Divinity that he knew him from the Beginning).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A fruit tree is only good if it bears fruit. The design and purpose of a Fig Tree is to produce fruit. A good tree bears good fruit. Jesus also taught you will know them by their fruits. He then gives examples/illustrations to His disciples and expounds his teaching concerning bearing good fruit and how to discern or recognize the good fruit.

Matthew 7
Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

True and False Disciples
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

The Wise and Foolish Builders
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Well the fig tree was a kind of national symbol for Israel. It's place in their culture is almost identical to the apple tree in the US, where apple pie, legends like Johnny Apple seed are part of our heritage, same thing only with figs. Besides that, like the apple tree, the fig tree was considered to be the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden. (It has some sexual symbolism in the Mediterranean based on what a cluster of figs looks like... And also considered an aphrodisiac because of that).

Anyway Greeks and Italians had Olive trees even saint Paul would use that tree as analogy for Israel and the gentiles "being grafted in", which I think lent itself more to how Olive trees are cultivated. But cursing the fig tree at a street in Jerusalem was a prophetic sign, roughly the equivalent of shooting down a bald eagle with a shotgun near Capital Hill in Washington D.C. A great way of symbolizing the particular nation was going to fall under judgement.

Besides that I suppose based on the Garden of Eden connotations one might see it as a foreshadowing of Christ death on cross dealing with ancestral sin (original sin). But that is not the typical direction it is taken as far as commentary etc. But this information came from reading a Messianic web site years ago... where Christ remark to Nathanael "I saw you under the fig tree" had more than just literal connotations (Could be taken as a Statement from his Divinity that he knew him from the Beginning).
The Olive trees have a strong spiritual connotation.
Zechariah 4:
Two olive trees are by it, one at the right of the bowl and the other at its left.
4 So I answered and spoke to the angel who talked with me, saying, What are these, my lord?
5 Then the angel who talked with me answered and said to me, Do you not know what these are?
And I said, No, my lord.
6 So he answered and said to me:
This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel:
Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,
Says the Lord of hosts.

As well the olive oil for the Oil of Anointing.
For this reason I feel Paul's 'grafting in' analogy in Romans 11 is understood in strictly spiritual terms.
Thanks for your well thought out and informative post.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
A fruit tree is only good if it bears fruit. The design and purpose of a Fig Tree is to produce fruit. A good tree bears good fruit. Jesus also taught you will know them by their fruits. He then gives examples/illustrations to His disciples and expounds his teaching concerning bearing good fruit and how to discern or recognize the good fruit.
He uses this in another parable also:
The Parable of the Barren Fig Tree
Luke 13:
He also spoke this parable: A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came
seeking fruit on it and found none.
7 Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on
this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?
8 But he answered and said to him, Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it.
9 And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that you can cut it down.

The Gospel of John is unique of the four, one of which is that most of what is chronicled seems
to fall into a year of ministry leading to His crucifixion. Could that have been the year of dung?

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
But this information came from reading a Messianic web site years ago... where Christ remark to Nathanael "I saw you under the fig tree" had more than just literal connotations (Could be taken as a Statement from his Divinity that he knew him from the Beginning).

I want to publish this exchange in full, as your comment is very relevant, and maybe we
can bring in much discussion from that direction.
Philip and Nathanael

John 1:
The following day Jesus wanted to go to Galilee, and He found Philip and said to him,
“Follow Me.”
44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.
45 Philip found Nathanael and said to him, We have found Him of whom Moses in the law,
and also the prophets, wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
46 And Nathanael said to him, Can anything good come out of Nazareth? Philip said to him,
Come and see.
47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him,
Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!
Nathanael said to Him, How do You know me? Jesus answered and said to him,
Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.
49 Nathanael answered and said to Him, Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the
King of Israel!
50 Jesus answered and said to him, Because I said to you, I saw you under the
fig tree, do you believe? You will see greater things than these.

51 And He said to him, Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven
open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.

"Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!"
I am preparing a thread on the command of all believers to speak without
"lips of guile" (deceit). This comment on Nathanael is quite the commendation
and vital to all in the body of Christ.

• Friendly
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 21:
Now in the morning, as He returned to the city, He was hungry.
19 And seeing a fig tree by the road, He came to it and found nothing on it but leaves,
and said to it, Let no fruit grow on you ever again. Immediately the fig tree withered away.
20 And when the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, How did the fig tree wither away
so soon?
21 So Jesus answered and said to them, Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, Be removed and be cast into the sea, it will be done.
22 And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.

When the disciples marvel at how quickly the fig tree withers, they receive a lesson
on faith. Why do you think He says "if you say to this mountain"?
Is there any significance to the fact that it is a fig tree, rather than say, an olive tree?
The fig tree was a symbol of fruitless Israel, to be judged for its fruitlessness.

Because of faith, things more impossible than casting a mountain into the sea would be done in them and through them--raising from spiritual death, in the rebirth into eternal life through preaching the gospel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James Honigman

Site Supporter
Mar 20, 2017
No. California
✟95,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pavel is right, in the Bible the fig tree is always representative of Israel. When His disciples marveled that the fig tree was dried up the Lord gave them what appeared to be a puzzling answer. He said, Have faith in God. What? He was telling them, and us, that Israel would not be discarded "forever" but, as Paul told us, All Israel shall be saved. Is that a Biblical conflict? No we must rightly divide the Word to understand the time frames. Israel will be taught of God during the millennial day, which in my opinion, is about to begin. We do see the fig tree putting forth leaves, right?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Pavel is right, in the Bible the fig tree is always representative of Israel.
Notice that the fig tree is used to denote times of peace and prosperity, such as:
1 Kings 4:25. And Judah and Israel dwelt safely, each man under his vine and his fig tree,
from Dan as far as Beersheba, all the days of Solomon.
Micah 4:4. But everyone shall sit under his vine and under his fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid; for the mouth of the Lord of hosts has spoken.
Zechariah 3:10. In that day, says the Lord of hosts, Everyone will invite his neighbor
under his vine and under his fig tree.

The fig tree is not simply some static representation of Israel, but shows forth their standing
with The Lord as a covenant people.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
When His disciples marveled that the fig tree was dried up the Lord gave them what appeared to be a puzzling answer. He said, Have faith in God.
Why do you find this puzzling James? They marveled at how quickly a tree withered at Christ's
command. He responds with a teaching on faith. Seems to follow quite naturally. Why are you
injecting eschatology into the narrative? This is not part of His lesson.

What? He was telling them, and us, that Israel would not be discarded "forever" but, as Paul told us, All Israel shall be saved. Is that a Biblical conflict? No we must rightly divide the Word to understand the time frames.
The Lord is most certainly speaking prophetically to what will soon occur, two chapters later.
Matthew 23:
Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her!
How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings,
but you were not willing!
38 See! Your house is left to you desolate;
39 for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say,
Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!

Verse 39 speaks of a time to come, but it was not given for them to understand.
Praise God for the revelation given to us by Jesus Christ. The withering of the fig tree
spoke only to that generation. We understand the future hope!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

James Honigman

Site Supporter
Mar 20, 2017
No. California
✟95,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do you find this puzzling James? They marveled at how quickly a tree withered at Christ's
command. He responds with a teaching on faith. Seems to follow quite naturally. Why are you
injecting eschatology into the narrative? This is not part of His lesson.

The Lord is most certainly speaking prophetically to what will soon occur, two chapters later.
Matthew 23:
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her!
How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings,
but you were not willing!
38 See! Your house is left to you desolate;
39 for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say,
Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!

Verse 39 speaks of a time to come, but it was not given for them to understand.
Praise God for the revelation given to us by Jesus Christ. The withering of the fig tree
spoke only to that generation. We understand the future hope!
Minister, let me respectfully disagree with you. The withering of the fig tree was pure end time prophecy. The disciples did not need a lesson in faith. As you said, verse 39 speaks of a time to come which is unraveled for us in the next chapter, 24. When the fig tree begins to put forth leaves (1948) we know that the end is near, even at the doors. Consider how it all fits together. By the way, have you thought about the two baskets of figs who currently sit before the Temple? Another subject but closely related.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Minister, let me respectfully disagree with you. The withering of the fig tree was pure end time prophecy. The disciples did not need a lesson in faith. As you said, verse 39 speaks of a time to come which is unraveled for us in the next chapter, 24. When the fig tree begins to put forth leaves (1948) we know that the end is near, even at the doors. Consider how it all fits together. By the way, have you thought about the two baskets of figs who currently sit before the Temple? Another subject but closely related.
Was this parable also end time prophecy?
He uses this in another parable also:
The Parable of the Barren Fig Tree
Luke 13:
He also spoke this parable: A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came
seeking fruit on it and found none.
7 Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on
this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?
8 But he answered and said to him, Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it.
9 And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that you can cut it down.

As you said, verse 39 speaks of a time to come
What about verse 36?
Matthew 23:
The disciples did not need a lesson in faith.
And they needed a lesson in end time prophecy? Or do you just feel the need to give one?
They barely understood what was happening before their very eyes. You go forward to chapter 24,
where Jesus announces that the Temple that they so admired would soon be taken down brick by
brick. Their minds immediately jump to asking about the end of the age. You are thinking like them. :)

Upvote 0

James Honigman

Site Supporter
Mar 20, 2017
No. California
✟95,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Was this parable also end time prophecy?

What about verse 36?

And they needed a lesson in end time prophecy? Or do you just feel the need to give one?
They barely understood what was happening before their very eyes. You go forward to chapter 24,
where Jesus announces that the Temple that they so admired would soon be taken down brick by
brick. Their minds immediately jump to asking about the end of the age. You are thinking like them. :)
Thank you for the compliment, yes I do think like them, humbly giving thanks for my walk with Lord Jesus. As far as the parables, none of it was for them, it was and is for us.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟344,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matt 21:19 And seeing a fig tree by the road, He came to it and found nothing on it but leaves, and said to it, "Let no fruit grow on you ever again." Immediately the fig tree withered away. NKJV

Mark 11:14 In response Jesus said to it, "Let no one eat fruit from you ever again." NKJV

Whatever Jesus cursed with those words would never produce fruit again. If it did it would prove that Jesus had no power.

Acts 2: 40 three thousand from the nation of Israel were saved. In Acts 5: 14 mentions multitudes being added to the church. Acts 6: 7 the number of disciples multiplied greatly and even priests were added. If Jesus was cursing the nation of Israel with a curse on the Fig tree it didn't work. It sounds like Jesus got a lot of fruit from Israel.

Luke 13:6 He also spoke this parable: "A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. 7 Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, 'Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?' 8 But he answered and said to him, 'Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and 3fertilize it. 9 And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that you can cut it down.'"
NKJV

Jesus told the above parable in which the fig tree is located in the vineyard. In Matthew 21: 33 , Mark Mark 12: 1and Luke 20: 9 Jesus told parables concerning a vineyard. In those parables the vineyard is Israel. In Luke 13 above Jesus had been going to the Fig tree for 3 years seeking fruit and never got any. Jesus had been going to the temple, located in the middle of His people, for 3 years looking for fruit and never got any.

Mark 11:20 Now in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. NKJV

When Jesus cursed the Fig tree He was going to the temple once again. When Jesus died the Levitical priesthood ,temple and animal sacrifice system was dried up. The roots of that system in was the old covenant. Immediately upon Jesus' death the temple was nothing but a rock building where the Jews gathered. The Livitical priests were not priests in God's kingdom anymore. The blood of animals was not required by God anymore. From the time Jesus cursed the religious system under the law of Moses no one ever got any fruit from it again.

In 1967 I believe the world saw the green leaves of the fig tree when Jewish priests rushed into Jerusalem ready to get back in operation again after 2000 years.

Upvote 0