• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A few updates/more of my background

Tylerx95

Believer
Oct 18, 2017
CT
✟20,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I desire to help people who are overweight because of the way its lead me to self harm for many years, although ive since built alot of muscle. I am still disgusted with myself, and find the biggest issue is no longer desiring to hurt others more than help them, but instead i can't stop hurting myself. We just started therapy, and all this anger feels hopeless to get rid of. I want to be a good person but the demons continue to try to pull me down and make me like them. Some days they win partially and make me screw up <Staff Edit> regardless of how much i don't want them around, others they fail. Il then have a meltdown and leave marks all over my body with fists, knives etc.. I remember how bitter my dad was about it when i gained weight growing up even though it wasn't because of my own doing and it was a side effect of the meds i was on, just like the involuntary muscle spasms. He was extra hard on me about both of the symptoms. He used to make fun of them any way he could physically and verbally and mock my muscle spasms. I remember when i finally decided to do something about it i would constantly feel worthless, and spend hours in front of the mirror self harming, body shaming myself and feeling hopeless. That went on for 4 years that it took for me to change my physique at the gym, which im still trying to finish, and the decade before that i spent where i wasnt overweight the entire time, but shirtless you could tell i had more fat than muscle. The thing that used to bother me the most was that i hadnt even brought any of that stuff on myself. The physical abuse/ptsd/manic depression that was taking place before it was the reason my parents took me to counseling but my father tried to hide the abuse and the psychiatrist misdiagnosed me with schizophrenia. In other words, none of it ever would have happened if i hadnt trusted the wrong people. He even admitted he was wrong. It really made me full of resent for years but now i desire to let go of every last bit of anger. As for my father we haven't seen each other for almost 3 years. I talked to him briefly the other day but due to his unwillingness to change, I think its best to keep ourselves apart in life on earth. I am trying really hard to forgive him through counseling. I see the world as perfectly fair now, because giving everyone free will is the only way to make things even when were alive. I respect my old psychiatrists right to free will as well as my fathers, and if i am able to enter gods kingdom and see them there because they choose to repent before death i would love to get to the point in counseling where i could welcome them as family.

• Friendly
Reactions: qutCut

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tyler, I'm so sorry to hear you've went through so much. Issues with our parents can be some of the worst as well. I think it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders with how you are looking at things now. You are forgiving and working through these feelings in counseling. You are living the way God would want you to live when it comes to forgiveness and acceptance. I know sometimes that we cannot keep in contact with a personal because of our differences, so I understand that you are not close to your father right now. Unfortunately this happens but you have to do what is best for you in this case.

Sounds like you've come a long way.

Upvote 0