Nov 3, 2004
Trondheim, Norway
Visit site
✟14,066.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Here's two of my pictures. They're not good enough for winning anything or being properly published in my view but they look really nice anyway. Also they are from my first slide film, so I have an excuse! I've actually only taken two rolls of slides, I read too many magazines and see the really good pictures in them so I look for the "perfect" shot which is why I don't take that many photos. Also at the moment I'm way to busy to go anywhere. I just realised I saved the one with the sun as a sunrise, but it's actually a sunset on Loch Morlich. The other one is a hill that is somewhere in Scotland during winter. (That helps, :D). What does everyone else think? (And none of that "it's really good stuff" that appears every time, ;))

Attachments

• mistyhill.jpg
    mistyhill.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 147
  • xsunrise.jpg
    xsunrise.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 155

fisherman2

Nov 28, 2003
penna, usa
Visit site
✟15,750.00
Faith
Christian
I like your pictures, i think they are great, i as you like to take pictures, and what i have found and what others have told me...is take pictures that you like, and not try to please everyone else, that's what i do. My photo's make me happy,....and take lots of pictures.

Upvote 0

Jer

Contributor
Nov 3, 2004
Trondheim, Norway
Visit site
✟14,066.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
p_kitha said:
did you took those pictures??
Yeah, a little while ago, can't remember exactly when. Thanks for the saying they're good, :)

Slide film works the same way as normal film but you have to hit the metering really well, as it's far less tolerant, so it might appear totally black or white even though on a photo it would be a little dark or light. It gives far better colours though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Piano Player

Order of the Candle
Apr 12, 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
✟15,881.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
Jer said:
(And none of that "it's really good stuff" that appears every time, ;))
O.K. here is how I think you could have made the pictures better: (by the way they are "good stuff.")

In the first picture I like the white hill rising out of the clouds, the cool monochromatic colors, and the softness of the clouds contrasted with the hard sky and hill. The brown field in the middle ground distracts from those elements, and worse, leads the eye off the frame to the left. Too bad the clouds didn't cover that part, or too bad you couldn't have changed perspective to either eliminate the field, or at least have it be a graphical element that leads the eye to something important in the picture. (the hill?) The picture's softness (camera shake?) actually could add to the atmosphere in this one.

The second picture suffers from contrast problems and lens flare. Slide film not only must be exposed spot on, but cannot hold as much exposure contrast as color or b/w. The overexposed lens flare muddies the whole picture as if gauze were placed over the lens. While gauze is necessary for some over the hill actresses, it rarely suits in a landscape. Some things to try next time: 1) graduated filter lets you hold back the sun while letting foreground come out a bit; 2) While camera is on tripod increase exposure time (expose for foreground to be dark, but not too dark), and while looking through viewfinder use a hat or some soft object to "dodge" exposure of the sun. In other words, you will use the hat to block the sun for some part of the long exposure (make sure to keep it moving so the outline does not show up); and/or 3) wait for the sun to get lower. The lower the sun, the less intense it will be in comparison to the foreground and middle ground.

Upvote 0

Jer

Contributor
Nov 3, 2004
Trondheim, Norway
Visit site
✟14,066.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Someone else mentioned the brown bit of the field, so it is deffinatly a problem but unfortunatly I couldn't change the perspective as it was taken on the corner of a road on a hill and the road started to veer away, or the small lane that went nearer went down into the mist. The picture is soft because of my scanner, although it's a proper slide/negative one it is getting quite old now and tends to make the pictures a little soft and dark. Usually the darkness can be fixed in Photoshop, but the softness is a little to soft to fix without adding in a lot of noise.

I totally agree with the flare. I have a graduated filter now, but at the time I didn't have one. My camera is old, so it only goes up to 1 second before you have to hold B and then it's a hit and miss with the exposure. If I did use B as well, then it would probably end up with shake as the tripod is very light because I can't afford a decent one (of half decent one for that matter!) The main reason I put that picture up is because it I liked the way there seems to be an x with the sunlight. My mum has an amazing cloudbreak one, but it doesn't work well when scanned in. It's also good to get feedback from others because it's not biased by "it's my picture, so it's better than it is" thinking. :)

Upvote 0

Ouch

Nov 29, 2004
Visit site
✟7,973.00
Faith
Christian
They are grerat pictures, no doubt about it. Scotland is beautiful. I agree about needing the different (perhaps impossible for you though) angle.

In the second picture, I really like the foreground element of the stones on the bright surface of the water. I don't know what the actual site looked like, but adding some more of those stones into the foreground or placing them more in the center of the foreground could be a potentially interesting element (in moderation) to consider. Makes me want to go grab some slide film.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mamabear4

Lily of the Valley and Rose of Sharon lover
Dec 23, 2004
Mississippi, USA
✟1,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jer said:
What does everyone else think? (And none of that "it's really good stuff" that appears every time, ;))
I especially love the sunrise picture. The steaming water would have given it away as sunrise instead of sunset. (Did you notice i didn't say it's really good?) :) So without saying it I'll give you a :thumbsup: .

Upvote 0