Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilfogn

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Today I came to the conclusion that I was not saved, and that is bothering me. I guess first a bit of history is in order. I have linved in a christion enviroment since I was born 22 years ago, but never found any peace or purpose in Christianity. So, for the last 7 or so years I've been trying to find out why I found no statisfaction.
So, tonight I came to the conclusion that I am no saved because, 1: Even though I prayed "the sinners prayer" I made no changes to my life, mainly due to the fact I was alrerady "good". I don't think I have realized untill today that I am a sinner.
Here is my problem, I could be missing the whole point. I realize that I am a sinner and sin all the time in my head, but I "feel" no remorse. I understand the consequesnces of my sin but I do not "feel" a non intelectual obligation to repent. I guess I am just lost as to where I stand and don't know what I eed to do. Could anyone offer any insight or advice?

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Wilfogn said:
Today I came to the conclusion that I was not saved, and that is bothering me. I guess first a bit of history is in order. I have linved in a christion enviroment since I was born 22 years ago, but never found any peace or purpose in Christianity. So, for the last 7 or so years I've been trying to find out why I found no statisfaction.
So, tonight I came to the conclusion that I am no saved because, 1: Even though I prayed "the sinners prayer" I made no changes to my life, mainly due to the fact I was alrerady "good". I don't think I have realized untill today that I am a sinner.
Here is my problem, I could be missing the whole point. I realize that I am a sinner and sin all the time in my head, but I "feel" no remorse. I understand the consequesnces of my sin but I do not "feel" a non intelectual obligation to repent. I guess I am just lost as to where I stand and don't know what I eed to do. Could anyone offer any insight or advice?
Hey!

Hi there!
:wave:

Welcome to the forums....

Twenty-nine people passed on this question....

no guts... no glory (for God), folks...

okay... let's talk.

Today I came to the conclusion that I was not saved, and that is bothering me.

In seriousness, there isn't a more important decision in our lives than the decision on where we will spend eterinity.

I guess first a bit of history is in order. I have linved in a christion enviroment since I was born 22 years ago, but never found any peace or purpose in Christianity. So, for the last 7 or so years I've been trying to find out why I found no statisfaction.
Sometimes living in a Christian environment is like living in a bubble. There's no Christian growth if you live continuously in a mountaintop experience (Christian environment) The only time a Christian grows is when they are going through the valleys. The fertilizer isn't on the mountaintop, it's in the valleys. There isn't "satisfaction" in Christianity if you live a comfort zone... that only a delusion that all is well. The "satisfaction" in Christianity is when the day arrives when the Lord says,

"My child, well done!"

That's satisfaction to a Christian.

Being saved isn't about "works" i.e. "I made no changes to my life"

Being saved is about faith...

But the truth is, if you didn't realize until now that you are a sinner, then you probably have never heard a clear presentation of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Being "good" doesn't make you a Christian.... it just makes you a good moral person whose moral "works" are worthy of recognition. "congratulations!"

First, let's start with a clear presentation of the gospel. I'm sure you've heard it before... it's called the ~Roman's Road~

Romans 3:10
As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one.

You seem to have an understanding of this concept.....

Romans 3:23
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Do you know what sin is? In actuality sin is any type of disobedience to God's will. That includes the act of the sin as well as the premeditation. As we are told in the scriptures... even to lust after a woman is the same as the act of adultery....so we may know that if we entertain our sinful thoughts, that it IS a sin. That doesn't mean that every "impure" thought is a sin... but to entertain that thought is. If a sinful though enters your consciousness, and you dismiss it, then "Glory!" ... you got a victory over that thought... a victory over that sin.

But, all men have sinned for everyone is born with the original sin nature, and because of that, mankind is separated from God, and in need of reconciliation to God.

Romans 5:12
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin, and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So... you know that everyone is born into original sin, everyone does sin, and that the result of sin is separation from God. But God offers everyone reconciliation to Himself and eternal life in His presence.

Romans 5:8
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinner, Christ died for us.

Are those shouting words, or what? 2,000 years ago, God loved you enough to give of Himself to see you saved. And if you were the only one in eternity to accept Christ, He still would have done it just for you. Christ's resurrection was the victory over sin, death, and the grave... He died that you might live, and He rose again just as you will.

Romans 10:9-10
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth, the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart God hath raised him from the dead thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Romans 10:13
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Now... forget the sinner's prayer. Sometime's people think the sinner's prayer is what saves them. In reality, those words mean nothing. The words don't save you.... If you have the faith, you are saved as soon as you say..

"Father..."

Words don't save you, faith does... the words are just another variation of "works"...

Saying the sinner's prayer is an affirmation of your belief in Jesus Christ... and it does "qualify" as professing with your mouth,

but the simply word, "Lord" win a sincere heart says the same thing... that you are acknowledging what Jesus did for you.

So... do you have the faith???

For salvation is a fact and not a feeling. If you aren't certain then, you DO need to be talking to God until you are certain... and pray especially for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit for discernment. Ask God to live in you and through you.... That's being born again. And if you have God in your heart, you won't be entertaining those thoughts any more without guilt.

Guaranteed.

So.... there... I'm praying lots of guilt will come your way by the Holy Spirit.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Do I hear an "Amen" from someone?

My friend, everyone questions their faith at some time. If you don't have the assurance of salvation, then get it...

but then, get off the mountaintop and out of that bubble called a comfort zone... so you can get fertilized and grow... (It's called Christian maturity)

Remember though, the next problem is the fear of failure.

<grin>

been there, done that, too.

God loves you, Wilfogn, and so do I

:hug:

~serapha~

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wilfogn said:
Your in a fight, my friend, and sometimes you get to where you just don't think you can lift another finger to fight those "feelings" that come from the flesh and go against your spirit. We are all sinners that have to fight the good fight of faith, and our flesh and the enemy, satan, are always there to mock our efforts of faith as "not good enough". God bids us to grow in grace - to grab a hold of His mercy and to flourish even if we are filthy and unworthy, for He can make us clean.
Speaking of no changes in your life, I wonder how long ago this has been and what your expectations are. Many of us perfectionists allow ourselves less time than our Father in heaven for growth, yet it took Moses forty years as a shepherd before he was ready and humble enough to lead Israel out of Egypt. You see, if you will do the work of God, which is to have faith in Jesus, He will direct your steps while your plan for life unfolds. He will bring about the changes that are necessary in His timing - so don't be condemned in a intellectual or nonintellectual way. Feelings are untrustworthy at any point in life. They are hard wired directly to the flesh and need the soul and the spirit's direction in order for them to come into line with the will of God for your life.

I'm getting older now, and I want to assure you that God has wonderful things for you if you will seek after Him and not throw up your hands and quit. If you have prayed and asked in the past, with all your heart, then renew your mind with God's Word everyday, and keep what the Lord has given you. Don't let satan steal your precious faith because it is worth more than gold. The trying of your faith will produce patience and strength to believe for greater things if you will allow God to work in His own time. While He does this work, grow in His grace and study your Bible to establish even more trust. Hang onto life and your confession of faith. Speak words of life to yourself, not death and dissipation. God found and called you to life, do not let the good seed planted in your heart wither and die for lack of spiritual food. Study, pray have fellowship, keep that good confession, and fight the good fight that is worth fighting so that you will have a crown of life when the day is done for your life. You've got it or you would not be here asking about it. So keep the faith, brother, and get God's Word in your mouth and hide it in your heart. Speak those Words of life as your confession of faith even when feelings are faithless.

1 John 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

John 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Hebrews 12:12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Remember, it is not the feelings that should be the mouthpiece of your salvation, but the heart:

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

2 Timothy 1:12 .....for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:
Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Psalms 119:25 My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word.

Psalms 119:28 My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.

Psalms 119:41 Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word.

Psalms 119:81 My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word.

Upvote 0
B

brinley45cal

Amen good replies.But one thing i would like to add is we dont go by feeling we go by faith.It dosent matter that you dont feel like your a christian,thats a lie from the devil.
As long as you live everyday for christ and ask forgiveness when you mess up,it dosent matter what the devil trys to tell you after that.You have faith that you know as long as you do that hey the bible says it that settles it and you can take that to the bank.
So dont let your feelings dictate your faith,SOMETIMES we need to try to keep the two seperate.Anyway i just thought mybe that might help a little.Just remmember you ARE an overcommer.

Upvote 0

pastordan

May 7, 2004
✟163.00
Faith
Christian
Hey Wolf...

I just wanted to say to you that if you are bothered by not being bothered, than there is still hope and your heart is not hardened...Ask God to give you a new heart...ask Him for a fresh Baptisim of His Spirit....

He loves you and wants to have you totally committed to Him...Ask Him to come alive in your heart of hearts!!!! Don't walk away from the faith!!!! Fight for a break through of His presence by crying out to Him.. Don't stop until you get the breakthrough!

Reactions: Wilfogn
Upvote 0

Wilfogn

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
First, I want to thank you for your prayers and information. I find the choice I have to make a hard one, but it should no be easy. My whole life I have felt my religion ring hollow. I realize now that I was being a good person but felt no qualms about compromising God's standards on minor issuses when it suited me. I knew religion but no salvation.
I guess I always wished there was some conflict in my walk, but you cant have that without a walk. So, now as I have made a hard choice after several years of searching, I am glad that I have chosen the hard road of Christ.
Tonight I prayed and finally submitted my life to Christ. I feel my life has led up to this night. Tonight I am complete in Him. Godbless

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 2 Cor. 5 17

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Wilfogn said:
Ok, so let's say that you're "good." Have you ever fed the hungry, clothed the naked, visited those in prison, etc? These are some things that you can do which will help you feel better. Doing these things will augment your emotional response to Christianity, and you will realize that you are doing the work of God. As St. James states, faith without works is dead. Even if you can't do the things I mentioned, perhaps you could donate time or money to some relevant charities.

Prayer is another thing that will help. Have you ever tried the Rosary? The Rosary is a meditative form of prayer which, when used correctly, is quite effective in clearing your mind of troubling things and focusing your thoughts on God. And it doesn't matter if your emotions aren't there. Put yourself in God's presence mentally and physically, and your emotions will eventually follow. Even an impromptu Hail Mary, Our Father, or other prayer will help, if said with sincere desire for communion with God.

One more powerful prayer-related thing that has helped me is the Sign of the Cross. Just a simple movement from head, to heart, and left shoulder to right, while reciting "In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" helps refresh me under all forms of duress. I feel that it blesses me and marks me with the cross of Christ, so that I will be reminded of who I am and so that I will act in a fashion that doesn't contradict that cross. Even if you don't feel like praying -- ESPECIALLY if you don't feel like praying -- this simple action will remind you of your baptism and who you are in Christ, as well as break the mental and emotional ice, pushing you across the threshold of unwillingness and into the arms of God through prayer. You may not feel like doing the pray-thing, but trust me, if you do this with determination and the knowledge that prayer is a good thing for your soul as well as your mind and body, you will be refreshed.

Upvote 0

newname

May 1, 2004
✟329.00
Faith
Christian
Thank the Lord Jesus for his seeking his lost sheep! Many out there, the church believe because they have and are in the "christian environment" that they are saved. I believed that also at one time. But the Lord truly is faithful. When the Lord starts putting doubts in your mind that maybe you are not saved, just because everyone says you are, that is His correction! Jesus Christ says in Rev. 3 that he rebukes and chastens those he loves. Questioning your salvation is a good thing, it leads to conversion, turning to God with you whole heart and willing to be corrected by Jesus Christ. (like Serapha says, one must get out of their comfort zone) When the church starts doubting what "man" says and starts seeking truth from Jesus Christ (Jesus says, "follow me" not man) fellow brothers and sisters will tell them that they are doubting because Satan is telling them to doubt. This is not from Satan, God is calling you to "seek diligently" and "work out you own salvation with fear" God says "Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep:let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness"(James4) The church must grow fruit "unto repentance", this does not come when we want it to, it comes from God. If you are willing to be corrected by Jesus Christ and seek the kingdom of God diligently, God is the one who searches your heart, he will give you true repentance, true repentance is "knowledge". The church cannot please God without faith, faith is knowledge and by God's knowledge we are saved, because by knowledge we have discernment of what is God's way and what is man's way. My prayer for you and each member of the body of Christ is that you continue to seek God and God's way; the sign of salvation is not how we look to the world, (happy,joyful,peaceful etc) it is not how we "feel" but what we "Know".

newname

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mom221

A sister in Jesus Christ
May 7, 2004
✟140.00
Faith
Christian
I, too, had those feelings that there was something more. Raised a Missouri Synod Lutheran, all the cactychism, (sp?), church camps, bible school, etc., gave me a good foundation, however there came a time in my life when I realized the same thing.....I am not saved. How could this be possible? I was a good person, in fact my sisters called me "Miss Goodie Two Shoes"! I was stunned. I believe it was at that moment I began my journey. Matt. 6:13 tells us to ...seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God, and His righteousness. God is telling us that we don't have to worry about the everyday things, He will take care of them for us, we are to focus on finding Him. Matt. 7 goes on to explain that only a few will hear God calling and search out His truth in its entirety. Ie... entering the strait gate and walking the narrow way. His wonderful book is a book of absolutes, no maybes, no what ifs, it is all black and white. When you decide that you want the truth, no matter what, God will match the desire of your heart with the knowledge you need to continue on. 2 Peter: 1 shows us the steps of this process.
I pray that you zealously run the race that is opening up before you and claim the prize that Paul describes to us. Godspeed.
Mom221

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.