Prescott, Az
✟39,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Luke 13:6. He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. 7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? 8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: 9 and if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

Think of the virus as dung.

My point is that the situation in the world, especially if things get worse and worse,
actually creates fertile ground for the Gospel. So if Christians can't bear fruit....?

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Luke 13:6. He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. 7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? 8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: 9 and if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

Think of the virus as dung.

My point is that the situation in the world, especially if things get worse and worse,
actually creates fertile ground for the Gospel. So if Christians can't bear fruit....?
Interesting point. I agree that may be what this is. Dung seems like a fairly accurate analogy to me for how I feel about this whole thing. I asked a friend last week and he used a different word, but essentially the same thing. ^_^

For me the confusion lies on where do we draw a line at which point we can say the Church as a whole is bearing fruit rather than just individuals? Because certainly individuals are bearing fruit all the time, though the Church as a whole may not be as faithful as it ought to be.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
For me the confusion lies on where do we draw a line at which point we can say the Church as a whole is bearing fruit rather than just individuals? Because certainly individuals are bearing fruit all the time, though the Church as a whole may not be as faithful as it ought to be.
I used the term church in addressing the forum but as you indicate, bearing fruit to my mind is measured by an individual's ability to abide in the Peace of Christ. I can say that from my comfy seat in retirement, that this pandemic hasn't really upset my lifestyle or my Joy and in the Lord. I have no desire to judge others, but pray that they will not be disturbed by 'reports of End Time Signs'. Not buying, or drinking the KoolAid.
The Fruit of Righteousness is "Peaceable".
Hebrews 12:11. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
James 3:18. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
Sowing Peace, Amen.
James

Reactions: Messerve
Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think the metaphor is quite apt: dung being something unpleasant that generates disgust, but nonetheless conducive to growth. Just like the Gentiles (dung), when they were added to the OT Church (fig tree) and cultivated by Christ (the master Dresser) and His disciples (also dressers) during His first coming (3rd year visit), gave life to the Church and produced the fruit of righteousness. Or just like laborious repentance (fasting, mourning, self-abasement) is conducive to spiritual growth. So the grateful bearing of sufferings of any kind, especially illnesses, is a very good source of spiritual nutrients for the soul.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I used the term church in addressing the forum but as you indicate, bearing fruit to my mind is measured by an individual's ability to abide in the Peace of Christ. I can say that from my comfy seat in retirement, that this pandemic hasn't really upset my lifestyle or my Joy and in the Lord. I have no desire to judge others, but pray that they will not be disturbed by 'reports of End Time Signs'. Not buying, or drinking the KoolAid.
The Fruit of Righteousness is "Peaceable".
Hebrews 12:11. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
James 3:18. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
Sowing Peace, Amen.
James
I agree, though it will be more difficult if I were to get reported by a neighbor for something like going to see my parents or going hiking... It's one thing to not drink the [Flavor Aid], but it's something else when those who do decide to "fire" at your "transport plane". ^_^

• Haha
Upvote 0