A fellow in my 12 steps addiction group is in danger of losing sobriety and risking arrest.

heaLsEarch

Supporter
Jan 12, 2016
/
✟68,115.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I'm turning to other saint's power for my prayer request to reach God since I am inadequate as a Christian.

I prioritized relationships at work over my addiction group when a fellow sober member was going through rough times and when I knew I needed to attend. His addiction involves a criminal activity and he has already lost his employment. The next time he loses sobriety, he may lose his house, family, and all hopes for life in recovery as a free citizen.

I didn't think he would ever lose his sobriety, but he's acting recklessly and says his obsession returned.

Except this addiction, he's a perfectly normal individual. I cannot punish myself enough for not being there in a group at rough times. So please please pray for his obsession to be removed immediately. Please pray so that God will work in our group and help us achieve sobriety and recovery as a whole. Hardly anyone is sober in the group.

I was ready to leave 12 steps groups forever, but here I recommit myself to members who may need me even if he or she is very few.

Please pray for God's encouragement for him and for direction, wisdom and strength to be given.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Praying for your friend's healing from the terrible disease of addiction, and for you, that those who you are sent to minister to in this group might experience Christ's love for them through you.

Soli Deo gloria .. Matthew 5:16

-David

Reactions: heaLsEarch
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm turning to other saint's power for my prayer request to reach God since I am inadequate as a Christian.

I prioritized relationships at work over my addiction group when a fellow sober member was going through rough times and when I knew I needed to attend. His addiction involves a criminal activity and he has already lost his employment. The next time he loses sobriety, he may lose his house, family, and all hopes for life in recovery as a free citizen.

I didn't think he would ever lose his sobriety, but he's acting recklessly and says his obsession returned.

Except this addiction, he's a perfectly normal individual. I cannot punish myself enough for not being there in a group at rough times. So please please pray for his obsession to be removed immediately. Please pray so that God will work in our group and help us achieve sobriety and recovery as a whole. Hardly anyone is sober in the group.

I was ready to leave 12 steps groups forever, but here I recommit myself to members who may need me even if he or she is very few.

Please pray for God's encouragement for him and for direction, wisdom and strength to be given.

It sounds good to recommit to the other members of the group but I am afraid that is a deflection from your primary purpose in attending. Your primary purpose is to focus on you and YOUR recovery, not anyone else's. Focusing on the others instead seems to indicate a degree of codependency which will ultimately get in the way or your recovery; you are not there to rescue everyone else. You are there to rescue yourself.

There is no harm in anyone praying for the whole group, but I suggest you refocus your attention away from the others, no matter how much they are struggling, and think of your own sobriety and how to maintain it.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟319,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father, I pray that these "12 step" groups will get back to where they started, by placing the highest priority upon You; that they will trust You and Your written Word, and give glory to You, and honor Your written Word more than they honor "The Big Book" of their program. I pray that they will use the "12 steps" in the God honoring way they were first intended. I pray that You will help this one with this obsession to get a clearer look at it, at himself, and at You and Your will, way, power, and purpose. John 8:32; John 8:36. Father, You know all his need, and how to provide for it. May You bring him to the point of being in a position to make the better choice in doing things Your way. Amen.

Upvote 0

heaLsEarch

Supporter
Jan 12, 2016
/
✟68,115.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Right after posting the thread, I had an accident and a surgery which prevented me from attending meetings for weeks. I prayed for the member as often as I could, but it seems Satan is getting his way for unknown reasons.

I will be sure to attend the meeting this week and suggest adding a new form of prayer for the group. Other than that, posting here seems to be the only thing that I can do for him, the group and myself. He and my sponsor are the only members whose sobriety is longer than mine. It is not about numbers, but I feel obliged to pray and ask prayers for him. Please pray for him. Thank you.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,072,977.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I will pray for your friend, but also for your feeling that you have to "punish yourself enough" when you aren't perfect. The Heavenly Father does not want you beating yourself up. He just wants you to turn it all over to Him. We fall down. He helps us get up.

• Agree
Upvote 0