A far green country: Does Limbo really exist?

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
He has a good bit of simplification to the point of error in this interview. His view would make Pope St. John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI heretics. It also in not in line with any dogmatic manual in relation to the Council of Florence. Limbo was always, as Pope Benedict XVI pointed out, not Dogma the way it is being used here and is used in common parlance. It is Theological Opinion at the lowest level of Dogma and able to be disputed if the logic of it can be countered. It is presented here as a much stricter Dogma. He does not draw the lines dogmatic manuals do. The Interview also does not draw a line between the two limbos and kind of rams them together by default.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with David on this. He starts with a false position and then tries to defend it. Limbo has never ever been considered more than a theological opinion. Why? Because Divine Revelation is silent on the matter of what happens to those who die, without the stain of personal sin, but remain in the state of original sin. Limbo is one possible answer. It isn't the only one, and there just isn't enough information from the Deposit of Faith for us humans to deduce the final destination of these human beings.

Me personally I lean towards the idea of limbo, but again, I'm not going to run around saying that limbo is fact, it is just really an educated opinion on the matter.

I do like that he points out a simple fact in the interview, that the term "hell", is heavily misused in today's language, even among theologians, apologists, and others who should know better. Hell is not the lake of fire. Christ named this place, one would assume from His description, Gehenna. Hell is Latin for Hades, which is Greek for Sheol. Sheol is simply the Hebrew word for grave. So hell is really the state of being dead, whether it is truly a place or not, is questionable, as those in hell are spirits, and we are not sure that spacial location is a spiritual property.

Upvote 0