Lone Wolfe

Jul 9, 2012
✟8,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, I spent a great deal of my evening last night doing some poking around about the whole TBN & televangelists thing and it was shocking how many similarities there are to all of these TV preachers & the choice of programming on that network? You would be shocked at how many have ties with the Penecostal teachings and ties to Oral Roberts University.

Other than Billy Graham, just about every single TV preacher to include Paul & Jan Crouch (owners of TBN) have been involved in one type of scandal or another! What? And these are not little scandals we're talking about here either? There is everything from cheating spouses to money laundering, sex scandals, income tax violations, scams involving phony disaster relief donations, buying luxury homes, jets & cars with donations and countless federal investigations into fraud! The bottom line when I finished my research (about 4:00 a.m. this morning) was, it all involves millions of dollars for these super preachers!!!

You would be blown away by the salaries these people make, not to mention the lavish lifestyles every single one of them lead. I think it's time the federal government and the IRS considers making some serious changes to the tax laws and other laws governing these mega-churches because, they don't come close to being a real church that preaches the Living Word nor do they concentrate on assisting the poor as it is meant to be???

I couldn't believe the photographs that are available on the internet showing these lavish mansions that every single one of these TV preachers live in, and that doesn't include multiple homes that many of them own. What I find funny is how they can list all of these extra homes as being owned by the church (their church) and they actually get away with it? If you or I did this, we would have so many tax issues that we would probably lose half of our properties because we couldn't afford all of the taxes???

I think the IRS really needs to make some changes as to what can be tax-exempt when it comes to these properties and personal incomes. Once they reach a certain level as far as income, there should be taxes paid by these people just as we have to pay taxes and ONLY the actual church sanctuary should be tax-exempt in my opinion. If the preacher's home is on the same property as the sanctuary, then it should be tax-exempt as well... to a point! A twelve bedroom, eight bathroom home does not fall into that category either???

I found the whole ordeal to be quite disheartening and it has really shaken my faith in television ministries to the point that, as of today I will no longer be viewing TBN or any of it's programming when it comes to TV preachers and the like. They do show some good wholesome films from time to time and I will continue to watch those now & again.

I'm sure I don't need to name those super preachers in this article and just say that pretty much if their program is on TBN, one should be extremely careful of their (TV preachers) reason for being there??? Does the term "false prophets" come to mind here? I think many a TV preacher is going to be shocked when their time here is through and their name is NOT in the "book of names" and they discover at that very moment that there is no place for them near the Throne of God in Heaven!!!

This research has been a truly disheartening reality! :prayer::prayer::prayer:

Last edited:

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
The "Thrown" of God? You mean the Throne of God don't you? :D:wave:

I hear what you are saying. About the only TV Preacher I watch and even then its on a limited basis is Charles Stanley.

The Bible says you will know them by their fruits. I've said it before and I will say it again. I do not mind them living "nicely". I don't care if their house is bigger than mine or their car is newer. I think we should take care of our "men of God" but what we have here is extreme excess and it makes them no different than the celebrities that are celebrated in the world. I don't really even mind if they own a jet to get around to different places. But they do not need to own several mansions and all the other stuff. I would be worried to face God, but I am not them, so who am I to say what God gave them or blessed them with or not? We are all human and many of us could be in similar situations given their circumstances. It's like we say if WE were in Adam and Eve's place we wouldn't have been deceived or eaten the apple. Bull pucky! We probably would have done the same thing or maybe worse. It's easy to see why the family members like the sons and daughters stay in the "business" right?
I do think TBN and Daystar still have some relevance to shut ins, so for that I am glad their is someone on TV talking about Jesus but you are correct that we should be very careful who we choose to listen to on those stations just as we do on other stations.
My suggestion is that we pray for TBN and Daystar and the people on it. Pray that their eyes be opened and they turn from their wicked ways. I do not think they are all wickedly out to get our money. Some are yes, but I don't think some of them even think they are doing anything wrong, so their eyes need to be opened and they need to repent, but we all need that too so....

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
You found the reason why TBN was not a channel that could be found by scanning at my house.

However, I disagree on the tax issues because although it would catch a few of these cheats, it would complicate life for many genuine churches ... and I don't want the government to interfere in the church even if it means a few get away with lush murder. A 15 bedroom room house could be genuinely used as church property like a retreat ... (I know of a beautiful mansion house near Houston that is supposedly a retreat for burned out pastors or a lovely vacation for pastors and their families.) It could also be used as a conference center or maybe even temporary housing for people in trouble.

Also, don't throw away all mega-churches because I know of a few that aren't about the money even if they do have a lot of money. I belong to one...and although I'd prefer a small community church, this one has been exactly what my kids need...(the proof is in the pudding: their attitude toward God and their knowledge of God.)

Dr. Ed Young from 2nd Baptist in Houston, TX is one on tv (not sure if TBN) who broadcasts his services but isn't a tele-evangalist. He teaches solid Bible. I believe that 2nd Baptist was one of the first churches to grow to the point that they became "one church on many campuses". When they built their second campus, Dr Young was loaned the use of a member's helicopter to fly to the second campus so that he could preach at both churches in person. The news made a bit stink about this, but the copter was not owned by the church. It belonged to a private businessman. I believe that they have now gone to a simulatanious telecast at the multiple locations that they have now. The mega church I am now has a different lead pastor for each campus and they must get together during the week work out the messages because all campuses teach the same series...to the point where any pastor could teach at any campus on any week...or even run across town and teach at more than one church if necessary. In our church, before the offering plate is even passed, there is a quick word that this is for the members and those that call Kensington home and that the guests should feel perfectly free to pass it by. They also thank the members that give online ... so that it is abundantly clear that just because someone passes the plate without adding to it does not mean that they are not giving. No guilt.

I have also attended a large church (not a mega-church at the time) where they didn't pass the plate. There was several places in the lobby to deposit your tithes and offerings and no request for money ever was made. I don't know if they still do it that way, but for the years we attended, it must have worked.

Anyway, back to your TBN disillusionment. Remember in all things we need to be careful of what we watch and read and otherwise deposit in our minds. All that glitters and claims to be Christian isn't necessarily real gold.

Phil 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

These leaders need our prayers for I suspect that many were genuine when they started. However, they will be accountable for every single soul that they led astray or caused to turn from the Lord. That is a burden that is not worth one day with all their luxuries.

Romans 14 NIV - The Weak and the Strong - Accept the - Bible Gateway

Upvote 0

Lone Wolfe

Jul 9, 2012
✟8,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Constitution
I guess the disheartening part for me is, how they make it so obvious that the money is what they are after! I mean, when they start the program out asking for money, then stop in the middle of the message to ask for money again and then they end the program still asking for the money... you walk away thinking all they truly care about is the MONEY!!!

It's no longer about saving souls for God, it's about big business!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lone Wolfe

Jul 9, 2012
✟8,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Constitution
I guess for me to continue watching these TV preachers after the research I've done and discovered the bottom line is money for most of them is, would the message they're preaching for that day be to reach my soul and bring me closer to God or, are they really hoping I'll send in that $112 for one of their bibles or that 10 DVD collection for $150 that I really need or I will fail at my faith???

You talk about something letting the air out of you balloon??? :cry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Wolfe,
Thanks for sharing your findings.
I'm not big on government over site of the church. But 1st off christians should stop supporting preachers that are living high on the hog. So we probably need some good preaching of even better teaching about that.

I'm listening to a study by a secular guy that is taking about how so many wealthy Americans are using the system to make money for themselves while not actually working. That being contrast with the all the minorities that we are putting in jail. 25% of the world's prison population is in the USA (land of the free)! Its all part of the same attitude. The rich stealing from the poor like most of the world did before the US was born. The Hope of the US was that the middle class would make a decent living. But that is changing before our eyes. The church if we were serving our God, who is concern with justice should be speaking out against this. Plus setting an example of how to treat one another justly. These rich preachers are following the greedy example of the world.

Upvote 0

mjmcmillan

Sep 27, 2009
Out there. Thataway.
✟5,089.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Somebody is in real trouble if the IRS ever starts taxing question marks.

But-- having said that-- I noticed in the OP that some TV preachers being connected to the Pentecostal churches seems like a bad thing. I mean, like the Pentecostal churches are a bad thing. I sure hope not, seeing that I belong to a Pentecostal church.

Are the TV preachers living large, many of them way beyond reason? Absolutely. When they stand in the Judgment, will they find that God doesn't necessarily smile on hustle-buck preaching? You betcha. Should you send in your rent-money so you can get a piece of cloth that the TV preacher may have prayed over so you can become healthy, wealthy and wise? Hmmmm.... I think you might be wealthier and wiser, if not healthier, if you don't. Plus, you'll be able to pay your rent and at least around here, having a roof over your head does contribute to your health.

I think you do better to contribute to your local congregation, which you are a member of, and keep up-to-date on what your church is doing in your community. You'll do more real, measurable good in your own community, helping your local church's outreach, than you ever will by emptying your bank account and sending it to the TV preacher at his Big Bucks Cathedral.

Edit: Add-on; I came through the scandals of the late 1980s. Several TV preachers went down in flames. Jim and Tammy Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart and Marvin Gorman to name a few. Too much money, too much living large, too much power--- in the case of Swaggart it seems the desire for the wealth and power of the other ministries led to his downfall-- swept all of them away. There was a bit of sly trickery involved too.

I remember one fellow told you, at the end of his broadcast, to reach out and touch his hand through your TV screen. Of course, when you did that you would feel a bit of power, and some people might think it was the power of God. OK, maybe. But more likely, it was the fact that all TVs in that day had cathode-ray picture tubes. What you were feeling was static charge caused by the cathode-ray exciting the screen so you could see the preacher. But, it tingled and sure felt powerful. I doubt that you'd get the same effect through modern screens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lone Wolfe

Jul 9, 2012
✟8,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Constitution
Ah, it's good to see someone has noticed all of the question marks in my comments? That means it's more of a question than a statement!

As for the Penescostal church being a bad thing? I will say this and leave it at that because I have no interest in getting involved in church politics.

Since I've been an adult attending church, I have been stung twice very badly by one church and by one preacher of another church. Both of those times being a Penecostal experience and, I am currently in a situation (in another thread) where I was recently stung by a couple who made a bartar with me on a deal that went bad on their part and they too are of the Penecostal church according to what I recently discovered so... in my personal opinion? Yes, the Penecostal church is a bad thing and I want no part of it.

You know, three strikes you're out!!!

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I guess the disheartening part for me is, how they make it so obvious that the money is what they are after! I mean, when they start the program out asking for money, then stop in the middle of the message to ask for money again and then they end the program still asking for the money... you walk away thinking all they truly care about is the MONEY!!!

It's no longer about saving souls for God, it's about big business!

Also, while I understand it takes big money to be on TV, just like with the body guard issue, again I say "where is their faith?" not in God IMO. It's in the people that they hope they can dupe into sending in their "contribution"

Upvote 0