South Carolina
✟15,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am an American church childcare worker. Prior to my work at the church, I worked primarily as a pre-school teacher. I am trained in both Montessori and Reggio Emilia learning philosophies. (My formal education is in Law)

I lost my faith long ago but resumed attending church after the birth of my son. I want my son to have the gift of religion & spirituality. I was raised Baptist. I have studied the worlds religions but have a respect for Christianity and Christians. I want my son to be raised in the Baptist church.

I volunteered to work in the Baptist church child & youths program because I genuinely love children and wanted to be involved in my community. And though I am not a “true believer”, I keep that entirely to myself. ((I ask that you don’t fixate too much on this point for the sake of this particular post.))

Unfortunately, I had an “epiphany” while working in the program that has left me disenchanted with the Church. It’s something I’ve observed in every church I’ve attended.

Amongst the plastic, mismatched toys, the cartoonish coloring pages, and singing Christian vegetables, I suddenly felt very alienated and alone. I felt like stepping into the standard American Sunday School room was a lot like stepping into a Chuck E. Cheese - albeit a bit more boring. The cartoon coloring pages and Biblical puppets, especially, seemed almost insulting. It seemed not only disrespectful to the Christian tradition but to the spiritual life of the children. Are we as Christian educators, and at least partially responsible for the religious and spiritual development of children in our care, supposed to be focused solely on hollow, flashy entertainment? Is Sunday School supposed to be an endless stream of bright colored, Cartoon “fun”? How is my child supposed to feel universally connected, theologically and morally challenged, or reflectively still in an environment that is only conducive to singing vegetables, cartoon depictions of Jesus, and plastic chunks masquerading as playthings.

This has unsettled me more than I would like to admit.

As a pre-school teacher, I was trained that the environment is the third teacher. That the child can learn from their environment almost as much as they learn from the educator herself. What are the plastic, chaotic, caricature centered Church environments teaching children about Christianity? And, alternatively, is there a way to design the Sunday school environment itself that will teach the Christian religion and invoke Christian religious spirituality?

Additionally, the gift of oral storytelling has decayed tremendously. I believe that traditional oral storytelling is a more engaging, intimate, respectful medium than any cartoon or questionably illustrated children’s book - specifically in regards to religious stories.

I can’t help but feel as though I am a part of a corporation skin walking as a church. Are we pushing consumerism disguised as holiness? Entertainment pretending to be a theological education? I have respect and love for all my coworkers and church leaders, of course. I do think they are doing everything with the best intentions.

I have tried to explain these thoughts to others and have been shut down every time. “The kids like the cartoons, it’s always been that way, stop worrying about it.” And, besides that, who am I to try to change things or believe I know better anyway? I’m an atheist who hasn’t set foot in a church in over a decade until last year. I’m at the very bottom of the church hierarchy and so have very little say in any sort of decision making.

However, I feel compelled to seek something different. If my son is anything like me, the puppets and caricatures won’t inspire him for very long. I want him to have a more nourishing experience within the church.

Here are a few ideas. Trade out plastic, mismatched toys for a complete set of toys made from natural materials. I believe that creation is God’s artwork and should be celebrated. Incorporating natural materials introduces creation & ensuring the toys are complete (not missing a piece or broken) celebrates orderliness and respect for the environment. Instead of using playdoh, for instance, we could make real bread dough to bake later for communion or use modeling beeswax.

The walls should not be sterile white, overly bright, or too busy. They should be a gentle color, like a calming green, or even use a lazure paint technique. I believe the classroom should exemplify beauty and order.

Instead of illustrated children’s books that depict Christian figures as funny looking cartoon characters, engaging oral story telling with props should be used. Additionally, one shelf could be dedicated to a biblical story or theme. For Noah’s Ark, leave out realistic animal figurines, blue and green felt patches, a toy boat, an olive branch, and a few building blocks. This way children can engage with the story independently.

Lastly, classroom management should be a top priority. I do not like chaos. While I always engage children through movement - I believe there is a time and place where that play style is appropriate. Throwing toys, jumping on one another, and running in the classroom is disrespectful of the environment, the children’s peers, and the child him/herself. Dancing, low to the floor movements (crab crawling), and organized games (tip toe red light green light, musical chairs) are a better way to “get the energy out” without relying on a pure chaotic free for all. A peaceful classroom is the most welcoming environment for children - including sensory sensitive and young children.

I’m wondering if you have any thoughts or resources on this subject. Or if you can point me to different Christian traditions that have not adopted the “McDonalds” approach to children’s theological education. I am not only interested in ways Christians impart religious teachings but on how other religions approach this as well. ((For instance, I doubt Muslim children are learning their religion from coloring pages or Jewish children learning theirs from puppets- though I could be wrong. I think we can learn from different religions teaching methods.)) I am willing to explore and attend different denominations in search for a children’s program that fits my standards.

Note: I understand many do not agree with me and are quite fond of their puppets, coloring pages, etc. I respect that; however, it just isn’t what I want for my family. No hard feelings :)

Thanks, all!

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Churches are different, not just in theology but in how they worship, and how they teach. I would guess that both traditional churches (e.g. Catholic and Anglican) or mainline churches would be different.

I teach Sunday School for middle school kids in the PCUSA. Since I'm assuming your son is younger, here's a sample lesson for ages 3 - 5. https://www.pcusastore.com/Content/Site119/FilesSamples/241813FM0201DSa_00000148966.pdf. This is part of a program based on identifying and teaching 36 key Christian practices. The first is "Follow Jesus." This lesson is from the second. The program covers young children through adult. Other denominations have their own material, and there's material from publishers not associated with a denominational. But this is fairly typical. Of course the youth version of this lesson talks about welcoming LGBT people. Obviously you can pick denominations that wouldn't do that.

There's no shortage of Sunday School programs with real content, even for young kids.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How is my child supposed to feel universally connected, theologically and morally challenged, or reflectively still in an environment that is only conducive to singing vegetables, cartoon depictions of Jesus, and plastic chunks masquerading as playthings.
I suppose that depends on the theological and moral challenges that they are taught.

I can’t help but feel as though I am a part of a corporation skin walking as a church. Are we pushing consumerism disguised as holiness? Entertainment pretending to be a theological education?
Faith education primarily is informed not by Sunday School, but by the parents. My parents did use illustrated Bible stories and cartoons but I didn't come away with consumerism disguised as holiness. They were both devoted Christians with real faith who made it a point to read with us and pray with us daily.

Now, I understand this will likely be a process for you, but do seek the Lord, really seek him. When you have really found him, you'll have an authentic faith legacy to pass on to your son. That will be meatier than any teaching prop or combination of tools.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,834.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Given your whole post, I think Godly Play - an approach to catechesis which draws heavily on Montessori/Reggio Emilia philosophy and practice - might resonate well for you. It ticks a lot of the boxes of what you describe your ideal as like.

Like everything that works, it's become a bit of a juggernaut, and when I've used it I've tended to adopt the principles and adapt the practice to what I can source locally/cheaply rather than buying all their resources. But I have seen it be very effective.

• Winner
Reactions: MyCosmos
Upvote 0

MyCosmos

Oct 31, 2021
South Carolina
✟15,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Given your whole post, I think Godly Play - an approach to catechesis which draws heavily on Montessori/Reggio Emilia philosophy and practice - might resonate well for you. It ticks a lot of the boxes of what you describe your ideal as like.

Like everything that works, it's become a bit of a juggernaut, and when I've used it I've tended to adopt the principles and adapt the practice to what I can source locally/cheaply rather than buying all their resources. But I have seen it be very effective.

this is exactly the kind of resource I’m looking for! I’m also a thrift store connoisseur- so I can make pretty affordable equivalents lol Thanks!!!

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

MyCosmos

Oct 31, 2021
South Carolina
✟15,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I suppose that depends on the theological and moral challenges that they are taught.

Faith education primarily is informed not by Sunday School, but by the parents. My parents did use illustrated Bible stories and cartoons but I didn't come away with consumerism disguised as holiness. They were both devoted Christians with real faith who made it a point to read with us and pray with us daily.

Now, I understand this will likely be a process for you, but do seek the Lord, really seek him. When you have really found him, you'll have an authentic faith legacy to pass on to your son. That will be meatier than any teaching prop or combination of tools.

I definitely agree and try to make it a point to infuse Christian tradition & beliefs in the home. (It might also be my personal Preference - I was always unnerved by any depiction of Jesus even as a child.) I just really would like a Sunday school program that operated differently than what I’ve been seeing so far.

((Also, it is VERY hard to pass on a belief I don’t have myself - no matter how benign and useful it is. I haven’t found any church that engages me though and I’m not sure self study would be helpful. I have had VERY bad experiences as a child that has ruined religion in its totality, unfortunately. I don’t think the hour long sermons on Sunday go deep enough and even the study groups I attend don’t seem particularly challenging either. It’s almost like I need to attend a theology course at a university to feel like I’m gaining something. Or at least someone I can have a long discussion with - but I don’t want to bother any pastor with my endless questioning.))

thank you though :)

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That’s going to depend upon where you are located snd the type of church. We normally have an intern from Princeton Seminary. They will often lead adult Sunday School or discussion groups with material they’ve taken from seminary. The church I grew up in had faculty from nearby seminaries lead adult classes. Churches like that are around, though perhaps more in certain areas. It would be more likely in a large urban church in a traditional or mainline denomination.

• Winner
Reactions: MyCosmos
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,834.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, churches near universities often attract a more academic congregation.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure it has to be academic, as such. And communities which expect everything to operate on an intellectual level - while ignoring the affective dimension of faith - can be very unsatisfying.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I haven’t found any church that engages me though and I’m not sure self study would be helpful. I have had VERY bad experiences as a child that has ruined religion in its totality, unfortunately.
Sorry to hear that.

I don’t think the hour long sermons on Sunday go deep enough
They can't, since the topics are so deep. Sermon series help with this, but so does the attitude that you know you're only getting a piece of the elephant as far as Christian doctrine goes every Sunday.

even the study groups I attend don’t seem particularly challenging either.
Mileage varies on those. People don't often think of challenging questions when the best opportunity for asking them comes up, unfortunately. What's more unfortunate is when they have the question but don't ask it.

Another angle on this though, is that much of Christianity is "not easy, but simple." The moral challenge to obey the command is very real, and there are people who would prefer to try and lawyer their way out of it than to put their heads down and obey it. So in that sense, the challenge is already right there in front of us.

Or at least someone I can have a long discussion with - but I don’t want to bother any pastor with my endless questioning.
I'm sure there's a pastor somewhere who will be happy to answer your questions.

Upvote 0