A Cure All Vaccine: Would You Oppose It?

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The recent story about a group's opposition to a vaccine got me thinking...

Let's say there was a vaccine out there that prevented any and all STD's, sort of a super vaccine that would prevent the spread of HIV, herpes (I & II, although herpes I really isn't the STD version), chlamydia, HPV, etc., etc. (something kills viruses and bacteria ;)). Assuming that you have no issues with other vaccines (I know there are some people that oppose vaccines for religious reasons, this question isn't for you), would you get such a vaccine, and would you support an effort to vaccinate people?

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
NO. I'd definitely support it. But I have to ask, what would the effect be of everyone on Earth cured of all disease? Would this cause other problems down the line? Like killing benefical bacteria? (Whatever the drawback may be, it's bound to be minor in comparison to the toll of these diseases)

Upvote 0

Jetgirl

The cake is a lie.
May 11, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
✟22,039.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ninja Turtles said:

Let's say there was a vaccine out there that prevented any and all STD's, sort of a super vaccine that would prevent the spread of HIV, herpes (I & II, although herpes I really isn't the STD version), chlamydia, HPV, etc., etc. (something kills viruses and bacteria ;)). Assuming that you have no issues with other vaccines (I know there are some people that oppose vaccines for religious reasons, this question isn't for you), would you get such a vaccine, and would you support an effort to vaccinate people?

I would not get it or support it.

At least not until we as a species are wise enough to control our own numbers, at which we are failing miserably at the moment.

Upvote 0

MuAndNu

Practical Atheist
Mar 29, 2004
✟2,347.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Republican
Ninja Turtles said:

One of the big arguments atheists/agnostics have with the notion of the God of the Bible is that he doesn't seem to prevent suffering. We point out that superstition doesn't prevent disease, but science does.

Consequently, I could hardly justify opposing a scientific advance that goes so far to alleviate human suffering. Either that or I'd have to quit complaining about the apparent apathy of the Bible's God.

Upvote 0

Jetgirl

The cake is a lie.
May 11, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
✟22,039.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jetgirl said:
I would not get it or support it.

At least not until we as a species are wise enough to control our own numbers, at which we are failing miserably at the moment.

Totally misunderstood the OP, sorry!

I thought it was a super-against-everything vaccine.

I would still not get it, I'm doing a fine job of preventing STDs with the usual methods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lokisdottir

LokAce
Sep 26, 2004
✟16,769.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
You should put in a poll as well.

I'd definitely support it. Yeah, there's the fact that this would only be aggravating the overpopulation problem, but that's going to get worse anyway unless we choose to do something about it, and I'm sure we can think of a much better solution than letting STDs wipe people out.

Upvote 0

Jetgirl

The cake is a lie.
May 11, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
✟22,039.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lokisdottir said:
You should put in a poll as well.

I'd definitely support it. Yeah, there's the fact that this would only be aggravating the overpopulation problem, but that's going to get worse anyway unless we choose to do something about it, and I'm sure we can think of a much better solution than letting STDs wipe people out.

That was my bad, I misread the OP.

I don't think most of the usual STD's with the exceptions of the African strains of AIDS have a fast enough kill rate to do any population control.

But then again, if a population refuses to acknowledge the prevalence of STDs, or to take measures against them... they get what they get IMHO. (Including "interior populations" such as college students).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IgnatiusOfAntioch said:
Can you provide sources and citations, preferably links?
Thank you.
Thread: Cancer vaccine opposed by FRC
News Source:Will cancer vaccine get to all women?
DEATHS from cervical cancer could jump fourfold to a million a year by 2050, mainly in developing countries. This could be prevented by soon-to-be-approved vaccines against the virus that causes most cases of cervical cancer - but there are signs that opposition to the vaccines might lead to many preventable deaths.

In the US, for instance, religious groups are gearing up to oppose vaccination, despite a survey showing 80 per cent of parents favour vaccinating their daughters. "Abstinence is the best way to prevent HPV," says Bridget Maher of the Family Research Council, a leading Christian lobby group that has made much of the fact that, because it can spread by skin contact, condoms are not as effective against HPV as they are against other viruses such as HIV.

"Giving the HPV vaccine to young women could be potentially harmful, because they may see it as a licence to engage in premarital sex," Maher claims, though it is arguable how many young women have even heard of the virus.

Upvote 0

Lifesaver

Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'd support it. Surely, it has some negative side-effects, as taking away a material reason for people not to be promiscuous.
Still, the cure and prevention of diseases is a very good thing.

As for human suffering, there will still be many things to cause it, and new ones which only appear after older causes have been overcome.

Upvote 0

Mirelys

Feb 6, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟7,393.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd certainly support it. I'd probably get it myself because from time to time I work in a motel, and I was accidentally stabbed by a dirty needle once. Luckily I didn't get anything, and now I wear thick gloves when possible, but still...stuff happens.

In reference to that article: HPV can be gotten in ways that do not involve promiscuity, at least not on the part of the woman (but the woman is the one who gets cancer!).
If fear of disease is all that's preventing someone from being promiscuous---they have problems.

Upvote 0

Shy21

Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
✟9,359.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Ninja Turtles said:
I should have clarified more, this isn't a cure for all disease, just STD's. I guess I shouldn't have put cure all, my bad. :doh:

I wouldnt get it. I am doing a good job by not having sex till I am married.

I mean if they found a cure for all STDs....how many people would have sex like its nothing without condoms and picture all the babies/unwanted babies born into the world.

Teenagers would have sex ALL the time because they know they couldnt get a STD from it. They wouldnt even wear condoms anymore. And that can lead to MORE unwanted children and a higher foster child care rate.

Teenagers now know they cant get infected with a disease from having sex anymore so what good what a condom do now that they cant get a disease from having sex???

Upvote 0