traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Has anyone seen or heard of two people that converse in tongues? I know this is not found in scripture, but I do not want to put God in a box and I have had several experiences when I have spoken to someone else and they have spoken back to me, both of us in tongues. It bears witness with my spirit and is very encouraging. I am thinking it only happens with someone who has the gift, divers kinds of tongues, not just your own personal prayer language.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Has anyone seen or heard of two people that converse in tongues? I know this is not found in scripture, but I do not want to put God in a box and I have had several experiences when I have spoken to someone else and they have spoken back to me, both of us in tongues. It bears witness with my spirit and is very encouraging. I am thinking it only happens with someone who has the gift, divers kinds of tongues, not just your own personal prayer language.

Hey Richard... I have a little concern on this and never heard of this happening in my realm of the world, not to say it won't but, I don't think there is an example of this in the Word as I see it. What's remarkable to me is that you have had several experiences with this. Let's see where this goes in other responses. Perhaps, someone has done some Bible research on this. I would be curious in what Pastor Joey, and the others would say about this. Later...

Word-of-Faith1_zps3y4drm8y[1].gif

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Would interpretations of tongues be considered conversational?

Personally I believe it could happen.
This may seem out there but Paul spoke with the tongues of Angels, a the Bible states we often entertain Angels unawares.

You are right that I should try to gain some interpretation if this occurs again. My feeling is that if there are diversity of gifts, administrations, and effects, it would require a field manual to go over each possibility from God. Since we are led of the Holy Spirit, there was no real need for that.
What I think is occurring is that when two people speaking in tongues have a conversation that they are speaking mysteries over one another, exhorting and giving blessings by the Holy Spirit. I think it also could be somewhat intercessory, with one tongue revealing to another issues, and the other tongue responding. Sort of like an intercessory prayer of agreement in tongues. My limited experience for this is in twos or small groups. I am seeking God more on the fullness of the gift "divers kinds of tongues." Foreign languages, tongues of angels, tongues for interpretation and likely more. I think too that if you have given a tongue for interpretation in a church that this person might be more likely to be able to have such a conversation. Thus, I was hoping some believers in here might have had some experiences in tongues or knew of other operations that are not particularly common.

I will add that I sometimes groan in the spirit, which some believers question too. A travail is a deep intercession to me. My confirmation, among others is when I met a spirit-filled pastor from Mozambique that was out of his country for the first time. He groaned in the exact same way and he had no formal training whatsoever. I had heard him say all that his church had gone through (Mozambique was the poorest nation on earth at that time in civil war) Almost, unbelievably after I heard of the dire needs that I could not even imagine, I felt God say his grace is sufficient, (Even know I do not have a full revelation of that, but I know this guy was the real deal).

I am not saying there are never excesses of trying to make something out of nothing, under the guise of the Holy Spirit but that is a question of faith and heart attitude of the believer.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
You are right that I should try to gain some interpretation if this occurs again. My feeling is that if there are diversity of gifts, administrations, and effects, it would require a field manual to go over each possibility from God. Since we are led of the Holy Spirit, there was no real need for that.
What I think is occurring is that when two people speaking in tongues have a conversation that they are speaking mysteries over one another, exhorting and giving blessings by the Holy Spirit. I think it also could be somewhat intercessory, with one tongue revealing to another issues, and the other tongue responding. Sort of like an intercessory prayer of agreement in tongues. My limited experience for this is in twos or small groups. I am seeking God more on the fullness of the gift "divers kinds of tongues." Foreign languages, tongues of angels, tongues for interpretation and likely more. I think too that if you have given a tongue for interpretation in a church that this person might be more likely to be able to have such a conversation. Thus, I was hoping some believers in here might have had some experiences in tongues or knew of other operations that are not particularly common.

I will add that I sometimes groan in the spirit, which some believers question too. A travail is a deep intercession to me. My confirmation, among others is when I met a spirit-filled pastor from Mozambique that was out of his country for the first time. He groaned in the exact same way and he had no formal training whatsoever. I had heard him say all that his church had gone through (Mozambique was the poorest nation on earth at that time in civil war) Almost, unbelievably after I heard of the dire needs that I could not even imagine, I felt God say his grace is sufficient, (Even know I do not have a full revelation of that, but I know this guy was the real deal).

I am not saying there are never excesses of trying to make something out of nothing, under the guise of the Holy Spirit but that is a question of faith and heart attitude of the believer.

We serve a supernatural God, that we cannot put His ways in our understanding.
We test the Spirits and ask God for wisdom in all.
It is a life time of seeking and receiving God's understanding.
God's Word is never of private interptation.

It seems that today so many people have turned away from the fullness of God and reduced it to a religous ceremony.
We draw to closer to Him, and He draws Closer to us.
God Bless.

Upvote 0

Simon the Tanner

Aspiring Apologist / Theoretical Theologian
Mar 18, 2015
Dallas, Texas USA
✟40,334.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You are correct ... it is not found in scripture .... so what is found in scripture?

Acts 2:6

6 And when this sound rang out, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking his own language

An existing language

You're leaving out I Cor. 14:2 which talks about a different manifestation of tongues where no man understands him, one that we use in prayer.

For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're leaving out I Cor. 14:2 which talks about a different manifestation of tongues where no man understands him, one that we use in prayer.

For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

Notice Paul is writing from the perspective of the one doing the speaking. Paul says that from the speaker’s perspective, his own speech is unknowable and a mystery. This is true because when a person speaks in tongues under the influence of the Holy Spirit, he will speak in a normal, understandable human language, though it is a language the speaker himself does not understand. That is the essence of the miracle of speaking in tongues.

Read further down in
Corinthians

1 Corinthians 14
6 Now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching? 7 Even in the case of lifeless instruments, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone recognize the tune they are playing unless the notes are distinct?8 Again, if the trumpet sounds a muffled call, who will prepare for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.

Intelligible - able to be understood; comprehensible.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Notice Paul is writing from the perspective of the one doing the speaking. Paul says that from the speaker’s perspective, his own speech is unknowable and a mystery. This is true because when a person speaks in tongues under the influence of the Holy Spirit, he will speak in a normal, understandable human language, though it is a language the speaker himself does not understand. That is the essence of the miracle of speaking in tongues.

Read further down in
Corinthians

1 Corinthians 14
6 Now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching? 7 Even in the case of lifeless instruments, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone recognize the tune they are playing unless the notes are distinct?8 Again, if the trumpet sounds a muffled call, who will prepare for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.

This type of prayer is not for a congregation.
So many jump up on your babbling in Church.
Circular logic takes over to a frenzy that teaches tongues do not exist.
What God's Word says:

1 Corinthians 14: 2. For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3. But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

This passage is brushed over quickly when teaching against Tongues.

English is not the native language of God, so when our Spirit prays or sings it is not in English.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Simon the Tanner

Aspiring Apologist / Theoretical Theologian
Mar 18, 2015
Dallas, Texas USA
✟40,334.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Read further down in
Corinthians

1 Corinthians 14

You're dismissing the context of the entire chapter. In the very first verse he tells you that prophecy is better for public assembly unless your tongues can be interpreted. He's not talking about speaking to foreigners. He's talking about inspired utterance in the public gathering of believers (prophecy or tongues with interpretation). They were all speaking in tongues with no interpretation and the result was confusion rather than edification. This has ZERO to do with tongues as a sign as occurred on the Day of Pentecost.

Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Read further down in
Corinthians

1 Corinthians 14

Thanks>
Since the context of this passage is Paul contrasting "speaking in tongues" verses "prophesying," I think the phrase "intelligible words" is referring to prophesying.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Consider in Acts 2 Peter uses Joel 2 as his justification for event that is taking place.
Joel says "This is that" referring to the vocalizations that are being spoken and heard by the many nationalities in the area. They heard words spoken in their native tongues. Joel goes on to identify the function as prophesying. Since the people heard known languages, it was not tongues (unknown languages,) rather it was prophesying, which is the act of speaking "intelligible words." They were speaking in known languages as the Spirit gave utterance. Hence prophesying.

Acts 2
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single

Do you believe such gifts are caused by God and used as His instrument to bring about the fulfilment of His plan rather than the fulfilment of the plan of believers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is this in the Bible? Not at all, you are correct. However the Bible does state that tongues, the point behind it is two fold, as an outward sign of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and for edification, which, by uplifting your spirit, is the very thing it is doing.

However, the Bible also states that when tongues are spoken out loud there should be an interpreter, if not the ones speaking tongues out loud should sit and talk to themselves and to God. 1 Corinthians 14:27-28 ESV states, "27If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God."

For context, this passage is talking about during an actual worship service, not during any other time. With that being said, is it ok? I'd say yes, just not during service...which should really be a common sense courtesy kinda thing. Overall, I'd be wary about doing it in a Church anyways. Just because there might be folks who aren't familiar with the manifested gifts and it may cause them to run from it. Just a thought and my own opinion.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Yes, the gifts are given so that the believer can be a better witness for the glory of God. Any believers plan that is separate from God is basically in vain.
May I ask what is God's plan for a believer? Is it to know Him & His Son according to John 17:3?

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
  • twice I had the experience of witnessing to other in their own language.

I missed it Daniel, I worship In tongues, and pray in them as well.
I have had some interpretation.
I was moved to speak to a Vietnamese woman about her son.
The Holy Spirit gave me great understanding .
As I walked by her she was squatting looking down.
My heart wanted to give her the Word, in Vietnamese.
I let my mind say you are going to be stupid.
And slowly passed by.
I have seen her since that time, but have had no call to speak to her.
I blew it.

Upvote 0