• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A common belief is that its a "chemical imbalance", but yet the conscience rebalances?

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So actually I had a few of good insights into schizophrenia recently: one, that schizophrenia is likely to come with other conditions (schizophrenia +others), two, that everyone whether controlled or not is on a spectrum (a range of conditions) and three (the one I want to talk about), that with chemical imbalance, come the conscience's "rebalance" (righting of the imbalance, elsewhere in the body). Not bad huh? (it is certainly good when insights keep coming, I feel a real high, when its like that).

So what is this notion of the "rebalance"? Well, basically, before you develop a condition, one of the things we instinctively do - whether consciously or unconsciously - is way up whether we can develop, allow, permit a chemical imbalance to manifest, given that the conscience may rebalance it another way, with greater advantages. When we have decided "this mental health condition is going to be good for me", we begin to allow a certain chemical imbalance to manifest knowing that it will not be without a more purposeful (in principle) rebalance. This rebalance we realize, can take us from anywhere at zero to the highest of possible highs and that in principle it is up to us to make sure that the benefits of the chemical imbalance don't sicken us to the highs of rebalancing to one level or another.

What we don't want is for the chemical imbalance to sicken us, that is a no no. If we start to find that we are not getting a lot of good out of the rebalancing, but we are staying as unbalanced as we have been, the good that the mental condition may be doing may be going into the red. This is why it is important to keep all the constructive behaviours that constitute our life - as people recommend - such as: sleep, diet, exercise, meditation. A mental health condition, should not dictate our lives and it is up to us as the first line of defence, particularly with respect to meditation initially, to be vocal about what we are suffering as a result of birthing this mental health condition.

In all honesty, I don't know where my condition is going to take me from here; but I know that I won't be told "its just a chemical imbalance, like diabetes is a condition", there is just no way for it to be a chemical imbalance, without a "rebalance" of some kind playing its part in how much of the imbalance affects me. Don't get me wrong, I think this is something that medical practitioners will understand in time - but we need to be cautious, particularly of the fact that even the best medical practitioners tend to think their role is simply palliative. A medical practitioners role is to bandage the imbalance, but not without allowing the rebalance to "breathe", grow stronger and take hold. This I think is crucial.

We cannot allow recovery to be treated the same way our imbalances are.

I hope this has been of some help.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
whether we can develop, allow, permit a chemical imbalance to manifest
"The average adult human brain has about 100 billion cells. Linked by synapses, each brain cell can connect to tens of thousands of other brain cells." (WebMD)

For one brain cell to communicate with another brain cell there are 50 chemical involved. If one of those chemicals is missing, then there will be a break down in the brains ability to be able to communicate with itself.

"Each neuron may be connected to up to 10,000 other neurons, passing signals to each other via as many as 1,000 trillion synaptic connections, equivalent by some estimates to a computer with a 1 trillion bit per second processor."

Brain Neurons & Synapses | Action Potentials & Neurotransmission

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
"The average adult human brain has about 100 billion cells. Linked by synapses, each brain cell can connect to tens of thousands of other brain cells." (WebMD)

For one brain cell to communicate with another brain cell there are 50 chemical involved. If one of those chemicals is missing, then there will be a break down in the brains ability to be able to communicate with itself.

"Each neuron may be connected to up to 10,000 other neurons, passing signals to each other via as many as 1,000 trillion synaptic connections, equivalent by some estimates to a computer with a 1 trillion bit per second processor."

Brain Neurons & Synapses | Action Potentials & Neurotransmission

Interesting.

I suppose it would be fitting to point out, that a brain with such capabilities,, has a parallel ability to develop greater and greater chemical imbalances.

And with that, greater and greater rebalancing.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And with that, greater and greater rebalancing.
In acquired savant syndrome astonishing new abilities, typically in music, art or mathematics, appear unexpectedly in ordinary persons after a head injury, stroke or other central nervous system (CNS) incident where no such abilities or interests were present pre-incident.

The unconscious mind has amazing abilities. For example if you are playing baseball the brain has to make a lot of very complicated calculations very fast in order to hit the ball. Some things that our brain can do are still too complicated to write a program for the computer to emulate.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Thankyou, for making further comment - it was insightful to begin with, but when you started saying talents could develop above and beyond what is normal, I started to listen.

Somehow there must be a greater good that the mind commits itself to, whether it starts or ends the way it needs to.

That being the case, without faith, there is little hope for a child, let alone a man!

Upvote 0