A church whose pastor plagiarizes sermons

What would you do when your pastor plagiarizes sermons?

• I am likely to leave the church.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I am likely to stay in the church.

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are some questions that have not been answered. Is this pastor rereading other people's sermons word for word or just borrowing themes and ideas from them? As others have said, ideas get borrowed all the time as can be expected. There is a limited amount of source material, and in 2000 years there is probably very little that has not already been said. I'm sure that most if not all pastors have heard inspiring sermons and later used thoughts and ideas from those sermons in their own sermons.

Second, is the pastor actually claiming that he wrote the sermon. In other words, is his name going on it? If he is attributing someone else's actual work to himself that is plagerism. If it is simply listed in the bulletin as "The Sermon" I'm not sure that qualifies as plagerism. He is not giving attribution, but he also is not actually claiming it to be his own work.

Last edited:
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are some questions that have not been answered. Is this pastor rereading other people's sermons word for word or just borrowing themes and ideas from them? As others have said, ideas get borrowed all the time as can be expected. There is a limited amount of source material, and in 2000 years there is probably very little that has not already been said. I'm sure that most if not all pastors have heard inspiring sermons and later used thoughts and ideas from those sermons in their own sermons.

Second, is the pastor actually claiming that he wrote the sermon. In other words, is his name going on it? If he is attributing someone else's actual work to himself that is plagerism. If it is simply listed in the bulletin as "The Sermon" I'm not sure that qualifies as plagerism. He is not giving attribution, but he also is not actually claiming it to be his own work.

I'd say another question that needs to be ask is what sites and books did he get these sermons from were they intended to be premade sermons for use or reference materials. Although the frequency would still be concerning.

Upvote 0

Mike Olson 77

Apr 15, 2017
New York
✟21,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There are a number of sites where pastors make their sermons available for others to use. If he is using one of these sites then it may not be plagiarism.
You have no idea on the definition of plagiarism. Those sermon sites provide sermons for a study purpose, not for the word-for-word copy-paste purpose, which is plagiarism and dishonesty.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You have no idea on the definition of plagiarism. Those sermon sites provide sermons for a study purpose, not for the word-for-word copy-paste purpose, which is plagiarism and dishonesty.
Perhaps in some cases, but not all. I was just looking at a site called preachology.com that has sermons for pastors to use "as you see fit." You are correct that if the website says the sermons are for study purposes only then it would be plagiarism to use them. However if they are posted for free use that is a different matter. Without having more detail it is impossible to say whether it is plagerism or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think most pastors pull in other peoples work when they preach. Most pastors are way too busy with all that is on their plate to think up original sermons.
I know there are books of sermons, have been fo0r decades if not centuries. Most of them are to help pastors have quality material and ideas to preach from.
I think it would be wise for a pastor to acknowledge quotes that he uses and most pastors I know do that.

I do remember years ago buying a book on a topic I was interested in. As I am reading the book I realize that I'm hearing the voice of a pastor who preached the same topic. This man had copied the sermon and wrote many passages word for word as it was preached and gave no credit to the original pastor who peached it.

So it goes on a lot in church leadership. I've only heard of it being brought to court once I think.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Defining Plagiarism: define plagiarism - Google Search

If you use someone else's work with or without permission and allow people to believe that it is your own work, you have committed plagiarism.
The example I gave earlier in the thread is what happens in my church where the Sermon is listed as such with no accreditation.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And for the record, I am not a pastor I am a professor. If I quote someone word for word I give proper attribution. But I have yet to see any lectures posted on line, at least not in my field, with blanket permission for others to use as they see fit as was the case of the free sermon website I referenced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a company called Docent that basically writes sermons for pastors, but not all pastors can afford them. Ghostwriting is rampant in Christian publishing. These ghostwriters are paid to take no credit for what they write. The world of megachurches, conferences, and publishing is celebrity-driven. They are like pop singers who are given songwriter's royalties for almost no contribution ("a third for a word") to make them look better.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Rebecca12

Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not a Christian so I didn't vote. Certainly there was plagiarism as credit was not given to the author. Plagiarism is an ethical issue. Depending on the facts it might also be copyright infringement, which is a legal issue. (Retired IP lawyer here, so interesting to see this thread)

Upvote 0