Marital Status
Married
know many on CF have decided not to celebrate Christmas
we do because it's the day that Christ's birth is celebrated

however, we have not "done Santa"
we let everyone in family know when our child was little
many thought we were taking away the fun of Christmas & didn't agree with us

interestingly, our child has never been present oriented
once asked her what her favorite part of the day was & she said "being with us as a family"

we'd read from the Bible & now our teen reads out loud about Jesus being born

we took vacation a few yrs when child was younger so we didn't even exchange gifts on Christmas Day
we did still find a church to attend when away from home

Last edited:

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you honor St. Nicholas instead?
know many on CF have decided not to celebrate Christmas
we do because it's the day that Christ's birth is celebrated

however, we have not "done Santa"
we let everyone in family know when our child was little
many thought we were taking away the fun of Christmas & didn't agree with us

interestingly, our child has never been present oriented
once asked her what her favorite part of the day was & she said "being with us as a family"

we'd read from the Bible & now our teen reads out loud about Jesus being born

we took vacation a few yrs when child was younger so we didn't even exchange gifts on Christmas Day
we did still find a church to attend when away from home

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just thought that it might be a good opportunity to tell your child about the saint who defended Christ against Arius.
no

birth of Jesus is reason for Christmas Day

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our family are definitely doing Christmas. :) We do not do Halloween now, and doing "Resurrection Sunday" instead of doing the Easter bunny/eggs. I haven't been sure what to do about Santa yet. St.Nicholas was a real person and that spirit of kindness and love is beautiful. While I want Jesus to be the reason for Christmas for my kids, I think I'm going to tell the kids santa is just for fun. :)

I just want to teach my kids that even in the traditions we hold, we need to be separate from the world in what we do.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
So society wants us to stop talking about Jesus. When Christians don't celebrate then the result is we've complied.
Yes, in the past two days, I have come up against that very same prejudice
( not talking about Jesus) on the internet myself, and I was totally
shocked!
Who could ever have imagined that a reason to report someone on the internet would be because they glorified and praised God and His Son, Jesus!!
Thank God for a place like Christian Forums!!!

Upvote 0

Andrew Beeston

Nov 3, 2021
Sydney
✟15,428.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We celebrate Christmas no problem, because it's not up to what other people believe on the day that matters to us. We follow Christ every day, even if others don't. However we found that the lead up to Christmas was really hard to focus on Jesus so my wife had designed a little advent calendar that was just Names of Jesus (which she sells now too) - we hang it up every year to go through with the kids, and have daily reflections, they have a load of fun in the lead up to Christmas day where the final name/title is what it's all about!

After all it's a daily routine and devotion to Christ that we're all about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟83,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We Celebrate Christmas. Today was Thanksgiving, and it was a very calm, peaceful, toned down affair compared to year's past. We all got our fill of red wine and turkey. Now Everyone is off to bed, to sleep in anticipation of tomorrows shopping day, and the decorating of the house.
There are Christmas trees to put up, lights to hang, decorations to use. To come to our neighborhood, even our house, is to know that it is the Christmas season.

Sunday is the first Sunday of Advent. We will take a trip to the Episcopal church for Advent 1 By then, decorating will be complete, and each day of Advent can be accompanied by a time of quiet meditation and pondering on the mysteries of the Coming of Jesus.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,255.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So society wants us to stop talking about Jesus. When Christians don't celebrate then the result is we've complied.
That is something that bothers me. Protesting against the evils of consumerism & paganism by rejecting Christian feasts that have been tainted by such things, risks throwing out the Baby with the bath water.

The Church in the early centuries had a very different point of view. Rather than avoiding having anything to do with the pagan society roundabout, it Christianised time and space by claiming it for Christ, since he is Lord of both. That is why what has since been called Sunday, became the day of the Lord. The Roman week was nine days long; it became seven days long under Jewish and Christian influence.

The principal mosque in Damascus is built over a Christian church dedicated to Saint John the Baptist which was in turn built over a temple to the principal god of Syria. The two more recent religions promoted their religious cultures by building on top of the holy places of the previous culture.

Basically the Church in the in the fourth century and later had an aggressive policy of promoting the kingdom of Christ by excluding paganism from the time and space it had previously occupied. It was not tainted by paganism, but was taking pains to exclude paganism and make it no more than a memory, if that.

One of the purposes of having calendars full of feasts of Christ and His Saints, is to claim all time & space for Christ. This is the very reverse of paganisation.

In essence, this is what Islam still does. It is high time that Christianity went back to thinking in the same way, so that it can again claim all time and all space for Christ, as is right.

[LATE EDITING]
Evangelical Calvinism, in its zeal to assert “the Crown Rights of Christ the King”, is driven by a similar zeal and longing to assert the Kingship of Christ the King over all creation - although its method of seeking to accomplish this, differs from that of ancient catholic Christianity. Despite their marked differences, none of these creeds knows anything of the notion, so popular nowadays, that religion is a purely private matter, with no implications for society at large or for the universe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0