Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My husband went Christmas shopping alone the other night, and came home all excited. He motioned me into the bedroom, and whispered that he had bought our son a gift. He showed me the receipt.

He bought our son a rifle.

I was speechless.

I detest guns of all kinds, however, my husband is a gun enthusiast. We do have guns in our home, rifles and handguns, and they are locked up at all times. Both our children have learned gun safety from their father, and he has taken them shooting several times. I trust my husband implicitly with his handling of the guns themselves, and also in teaching our children.

Our son is 17. He's a typical male adolescent, he thinks guns are wonderful. In fact, he has become enthralled with paintballing, and outfitted himself with a paintball gun and all the accessories, entirely at his own expense. He exercises all safety precautions when paintballing, and I know that he will also be diligent about safety with this rifle.

I do not expect my son to use the rifle under any circumstances except with his dad.

I still don't like it.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Baptistgal

Nov 25, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟306.00
Faith
Baptist
It sounds like you have a very responsible husband who teaches your children proper respect for guns and gun use. I understand how you feel as I'd most likely react the same way. But I still think that since your husband has taught your son the correct way to use them and they won't be going out blasting holes in people, then there is no real reason to worry.

The only real way to prevent accidents is to train your kids about them and take that "forbidden mystique" away from the guns.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by VOW
My husband went Christmas shopping alone the other night, and came home all excited. He motioned me into the bedroom, and whispered that he had bought our son a gift. He showed me the receipt.

I was speechless.

I detest guns of all kinds, however, my husband is a gun enthusiast. We do have guns in our home, rifles and handguns, and they are locked up at all times. Both our children have learned gun safety from their father, and he has taken them shooting several times. I trust my husband implicitly with his handling of the guns themselves, and also in teaching our children.

Our son is 17. He's a typical male adolescent, he thinks guns are wonderful. In fact, he has become enthralled with paintballing, and outfitted himself with a paintball gun and all the accessories, entirely at his own expense. He exercises all safety precautions when paintballing, and I know that he will also be diligent about safety with this rifle.

I do not expect my son to use the rifle under any circumstances except with his dad.

I still don't like it.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

My husband is a gun enthusiast, too VOW.  I'm not too crazy about it.  Even though he is an avid safety freak it still bothers me.   I don't know what to tell you to make you feel better except that I can relate.  And the boys in our family (nephews and such) all begin their hunting careers at age 10 :eek:

So far I have 2 daughters... he keeps saying that he is going to take Sammy hunting when she gets older.....{{{shudder, shudder, shudder}}}---She's our little tom-boy.

Michelle

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,775,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's good that your husband has taught his son how to properly handle and care for a gun. Unless you've seen some characteristics in your son that disturb you, like out-of-control anger and the like, I'd recommend letting them have their fun. Many, many boys grew up owning guns, and did so very responsibly and maturely. I know there are horror stories and accidents, but they are usually caused by people not being careful, not realizing the seriousness of handling a gun.

Incidentally, my niece who is 13 years old has been going deer hunting with her dad for a few years now just got her first deer this fall.

Upvote 0

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
I'm not one to comment - I don't like guns either - it doesn't help that I was shot with one when I was 10 - by a boy - friend of the family - I still have the bullet in me - even without that I don't like to be around them.

but it does sound like your husband has taught your son well

Godspeed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by VOW

I was speechless.

I still don't like it.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Oh I can't blame you! I'd be very upset, too! Guns are so dangerous!

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My father-in-law used to take his kids out shooting. My brother-in-law collects guns; he has a .22 sniper rifle he's very fond of, and a very nice Czeckh 9MM handgun. Beloved Spouse says we will get some light pistols when we have more money. She says she wants at least a 9MM; nothing smaller has enough "stopping power". I consider her a good argument against being dogmatic about gender roles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Update:

Son unwrapped the gift and was suitably impressed. He immediately checked the chamber to make sure it wasn't loaded, and then he pulled out the separate-but-included gun lock and locked it up.

And the weapon is stored in the locked gun cabinet now.

Peace,
~VOW

Upvote 0