Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Much of the time, when people are accused of White Privilege, it is just a tactic to shame them into shutting up. If you can, resist shaming tactics. But White Privilege does exist. I want to show you how I have dealt with it.

Short answer: don't reject white privilege, nor be ashamed of it, just be humble and thankful for your unmerited benefits.

A generation ago when I was just out of college, I lived with a White missionary, Roy, who had ministered for 40 years in Asia. Then, I took a 3-month mission trip to the Philippines to visit Roy's former contacts and disciples. I was basically Roy's ambassador.

Filipinos, as a group, showed great respect to "rich, white Americans" during the regime of President Marcos. When I visited and lived with Roy's people, they treated me with the respect due to Roy himself. One guy even traveled across the country to confess his failures to me.

A group of evangelists that Roy had trained organized a month-long evangelistic tour of mountain villages and invited me. Every village we visited treated me like a VIP and we even experienced a major revival at the final mining town. The townspeople offered to give me a house/church and make me their permanent pastor.

That is real White Privilege.

But I knew the hidden side that the local people could not see. All of those Filipino ministers were more mature and better trained than I was. I made some major mistakes that others covered up. In fact, when I lived with Roy and his family for 6 months of training, Roy didn't really like or respect me very much (and for good reason). I'm sure that he loved the Filipino ministers more than he loved me. When the revival came, I didn't know how or why. But I did know that one day the revival would end and I would be alone, trying to be a spiritual leader without a clue. So, I declined to be a minister in the Philippines and went back to America to get more spiritual development and missionary training.

My lessons:
-People treated me well based on my appearance and connections, not because I earned anything.
-I went there for a purpose and could not be silent even if others were more worthy than I.
-I survived by the grace of others and in turn gave as much grace as I could.
-I rejected being placed on a dangerously high pedestal.

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Much of the time, when people are accused of White Privilege, it is just a tactic to shame them into shutting up.

No, it is not. It is an actual issue people are trying to resolve.

If you can, resist shaming tactics. But White Privilege does exist. I want to show you how I have dealt with it.

Short answer: don't reject white privilege, nor be ashamed of it, just be humble and thankful for your unmerited benefits.

How about we work to bring everyone onto an equal playing field as much as possible as well?

A generation ago when I was just out of college, I lived with a White missionary, Roy, who had ministered for 40 years in Asia. Then, I took a 3-month mission trip to the Philippines to visit Roy's former contacts and disciples. I was basically Roy's ambassador.

Filipinos, as a group, showed great respect to "rich, white Americans" during the regime of President Marcos. When I visited and lived with Roy's people, they treated me with the respect due to Roy himself. One guy even traveled across the country to confess his failures to me.

A group of evangelists that Roy had trained organized a month-long evangelistic tour of mountain villages and invited me. Every village we visited treated me like a VIP and we even experienced a major revival at the final mining town. The townspeople offered to give me a house/church and make me their permanent pastor.

But I knew the hidden side that the local people could not see. All of those Filipino ministers were more mature and better trained than I was. I made some major mistakes that others covered up. In fact, when I lived with Roy and his family for 6 months of training, Roy didn't really like or respect me very much (and for good reason). I'm sure that he loved the Filipino ministers more than he loved me. When the revival came, I didn't know how or why. But I did know that one day the revival would end and I would be alone, trying to be a spiritual leader without a clue. So, I declined to be a minister in the Philippines and went back to America to get more spiritual development and missionary training.

My lessons:
-People treated me well based on my appearance and connections, not because I earned anything.
-I went there for a purpose and could not be silent even if others were more worthy than I.
-I survived by the grace of others and in turn gave as much grace as I could.
-I rejected being placed on a dangerously high pedestal.

A nice story, but not really white privilege. :wave:

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"White privilege" is not an accusation - it's a statement of fact, even here in America. The collective assumption is that we are the norm, benign and non-suspicious. Collectively, we get loans more easily with much better rates. We get directed to the good housing in the more upscale neighborhoods. When we are present in these "good neighborhoods", the assumption is that we belong there. When we get into elite universities, the assumption is that we got there on merit (or our parents' legacy merit), not out of pity or because of quotas. When we apply for office jobs, the assumption is that we will fit right in and be competent.

There is also a Class Privilege, but being white makes it easier to belong to the upper classes or, at least, to be presumed to belong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no white privilege, if there was, i would own my own hotels, and not manage them.
How do you figure that? Do you think that white privilege means all white guys are kings of their domain? Or that there is no ranking within the white class?

Or were you just being flippant? It's hard to tell true ignorance (of what "white privilege" entails) from feigned ignorance.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
How do you figure that? Do you think that white privilege means all white guys are kings of their domain? Or that there is no ranking within the white class?

I'm white, where is my privilege ?

• Useful
Reactions: Daniel C
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Already explained in Post #3. What do you think white privilege is? It's not a guarantee of success or status.

You say you manage hotels - do people commonly accept your status as manager or question if you deserve your status?

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your privilege is that you inherit the benefits and priveledges of the white people who came before you. There is nothing wrong with that. Be thankful.

For example, a black evangelist told me as we visited the Cabrini Green ghetto in Chicago, in 1984 that I was in less danger than he was. He explained that the only time white people went there was to "help" and they were welcome. But as a black outsider, they saw him with suspicion because there is a lot of black on black crime in the ghetto.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danielwright2311

Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Already explained in Post #3. What do you think white privilege is? It's not a guarantee of success or status.

You say you manage hotels - do people commonly accept your status as manager or question if you deserve your status?

I worked hard for my position, very hard for a long time, so, no, no one questions it, they know how hard i work.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

But I knew the hidden side that the local people could not see. All of those Filipino ministers were more mature and better trained than I was.

This happens here with other races or for being female for promotion for the Equal opportunity act. Unfortunately it's a reality in select circumstances (not just for "white people") around the world and has been for years, and will always be. Some will get promoted over me or considered more of a chance for promotion because they're not white and I am (yes, I've seen that), but on the other hand I have run into situations where a racist person will treat me better because I'm white. The best we can do is be the best we can be, treat others fairly and for who they are and not their race, and hope others follow in our examples of respect.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it is not. It is an actual issue people are trying to resolve.

How about we work to bring everyone onto an equal playing field as much as possible as well?

A nice story, but not really white privilege. :wave:
The phrase that I often see is "check your privilege" and it is used to silence white people. These tactics are not designed to "even things out", they are designed to disarm and dominate.

The correct response to "Check your privilege" is not intimidation, silence or shame.

Instead, the response is to be humble and thankful for the benefits of white privilege, just as Christians are for their salvation. Salvation, like white priviledge, is an unmerited gift.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some will get promoted over me or considered more of a chance for promotion because they're not white and I am (yes, I've seen that), but on the other hand I have run into situations where a racist person will treat me better because I'm white.
But would you even notice if you were hired over, promoted before or paid more than the non-white, non-male people - or would you just assume it was because of your own merit?

It's human nature to take notice of what adversely affects us, but assume the good things are due us.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I worked hard for my position, very hard for a long time, so, no, no one questions it, they know how hard i work.
So what do you think white privilege is? Is it only the people who know you who don't question whether or not you are really the manager?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Danielwright2311

Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
So what do you think white privilege is? Is it only the people who know you who don't question whether or not you are really the manager?

Im sorry, that made no sense.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I have an opinion here, but honestly it's such a third rail. Is it even possible to have a productive conversation about this?

I won the genetic lottery being born in the US, to educated parents who did some nurturing and set a half decent example of what a contributing member of society looks like. I'm so intensely grateful to the Lord for the embarrassment of riches that is my life and all of the opportunities I have been given.

So I guess that makes me the beneficiary of a lifetime of "White Privilege".

So when someone tells me to check my privilege what am I supposed to do with that. (Incidentally, no one has said that to me). If I think someone should invest in a 401K, should I say nothing because I need to check my privilege? So the advice, which is objectively good advice, is somehow less valuable because of who I am and where I come from?

This seems equivalent to saying only the sinless can talk about the Gospel. Is it not the same as calling anyone who calls sin a sin a hypocrite?

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I have an opinion here, but honestly it's such a third rail. Is it even possible to have a productive conversation about this?

I won the genetic lottery being born in the US, to educated parents who did some nurturing and set a half decent example of what a contributing member of society looks like. I'm so intensely grateful to the Lord for the embarrassment of riches that is my life and all of the opportunities I have been given.

So I guess that makes me the beneficiary of a lifetime of "White Privilege".

So when someone tells me to check my privilege what am I supposed to do with that. (Incidentally, no one has said that to me). If I think someone should invest in a 401K, should I say nothing because I need to check my privilege? So the advice, which is objectively good advice, is somehow less valuable because of who I am and where I come from?

This seems equivalent to saying only the sinless can talk about the Gospel. Is it not the same as calling anyone who calls sin a sin a hypocrite?
In some threatening situations, you should be as silent as the "Checkers" say. A wise silence can avoid a lot of trouble.

On the other hand, you can say that you are proud of your heritage and hope that they are equally proud of theirs. There is no shame in being who we are. Until a short time ago, that was a central message of the left.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The phrase that I often see is "check your privilege" and it is used to silence white people. These tactics are not designed to "even things out", they are designed to disarm and dominate.

This is incorrect. The phrase is used as a learning aid. it is used to highlight something that can be difficult to see from the inside. Why are you trying to impart sinister motive to it?

The correct response to "Check your privilege" is not intimidation, silence or shame.

Instead, the response is to be humble and thankful for the benefits of white privilege, just as Christians are for their salvation. Salvation, like white priviledge, is an unmerited gift.

Or, as I previously stated, we could work to try to correct the imbalance. Is this not the directive of Christ? To try to lift up those who are worse off then yourself?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But would you even notice if you were hired over, promoted before or paid more than the non-white, non-male people - or would you just assume it was because of your own merit?

It's human nature to take notice of what adversely affects us, but assume the good things are due us.

It would depend on the person/circumstances, I suppose. If the person doing the promoting was known to be racist or bias, there would be a reason to suspect, but otherwise I would assume the person doing the promoting was doing so on merit and not race, which is how it should be. We'll never know for sure with a lot of cases, can only suspect if something becomes obvious. Again, this is not only something that happens for "white people" though. I've seen it at my company for POC

Upvote 0