Gifu, Japan
✟28,136.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To say that times have been harsh would be an understatement. It's usually hard to even get out of bed in the morning. Things just seems to keep finding new ways of smacking me in the back of the head. I've found myself thinking back to my great aunt, how she use to do things and say things. I have never met a more loving or kind soul than her. And I have felt like talking with her about my problems.

Yesterday after prayer, I was looking at my icons and I was thinking about being able to sit down and talk with one of them. It was a curious thoughts and one that made me wonder. When I was new to Orthodoxy, I had looked towards Ignatious. But now that I am longer in the faith and face these trials and tribulations, I find I want to talk with one about simpler things. Of course Paisios comes to mind in this case.

So my fun Lent question is, which Saint would you like to sit down with and have a conversation? Why?

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, Saint Isaac the Syrian's my favorite, but I would not be able to sustain a convo with him because he is so profound and eons ahead in wisdom that I'd just get lost, so I would say St. Silouan.

I would really like to talk with Mother Gavrilia, even though she hasn't be declared a Saint...yet.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Seraphim of Sarov. Why? Because of this:

"When I am dead, come to me at my grave, and the more often the better. Whatever is in your soul, whatever may have happened to you, come to me as when I was alive and kneeling on the ground, cast all your bitterness upon my grave. Tell me everything and I shall listen to you, and all the bitterness will fly away from you. And as you spoke to me when I was alive, do so now. For I am living and I shall be forever."

Oh Christ our God, through the prayers of Your most pure, most blessed Mother and all the saints, have mercy upon the souls of Isidore and Agathia, the father and mother of Your servant, St. Seraphim of Sarov. Grant them rest where the just repose.

(St. Seraphim once said that whenever we remember his parents in our prayers he would remember us also). I myself have need of such prayers. Lord have mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, Saint Isaac the Syrian's my favorite, but I would not be able to sustain a convo with him because he is so profound and eons ahead in wisdom that I'd just get lost, so I would say St. Silouan.

I would really like to talk with Mother Gavrilia, even though she hasn't be declared a Saint...yet.

I would also love to speak to Archimandrite Sophrony (who wrote about St. Silouan) and Metropolitan Anthony (Bloom). My priest's father knew Met. Anthony as well as he was involved in external relations for the Church of England. Fr. said that Met. Anthony never wrote out his sermons ahead of time. His sermons are amazing. Neither of them have been declared saints yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are not canonized some day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
unglorified, I would say Elder Cleopa of Romania. his knowledge of patristics and Scripture, and his sense of humor I think would be awesome.

as far as glorified, I would say St John the Theologian.
Ah, yes. He would be wonderful to talk with! He's my favorite Apostles! :)

I'm reading the life of Elder Cleopa right now. :)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would also love to speak to Archimandrite Sophrony (who wrote about St. Silouan) and Metropolitan Anthony (Bloom). My priest's father knew Met. Anthony as well as he was involved in external relations for the Church of England. Fr. said that Met. Anthony never wrote out his sermons ahead of time. His sermons are amazing. Neither of them have been declared saints yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are not canonized some day.
Yes, I have read a couple books by Archimandrite Sophrony. I agree he'd be one to sit down and talk with. I believe we have a book by Met. Anthony Bloom, but haven't read it yet!

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I have read a couple books by Archimandrite Sophrony. I agree he'd be one to sit down and talk with. I believe we have a book by Met. Anthony Bloom, but haven't read it yet!

One of the things that Fr. remembers most about Archimandrite Sophrony is the love that radiated from him. He prays for Archimandrite Sophrony and Metropolitan Anthony (as well as other priests, monks and just plain parishioners that he remembers from their monastery parish in Essex) in the services.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums