Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
not to demean those small contributions in any way

Didn't you said earlier that the widow's mite did little real good? :sigh:

The 'widow's mites' were wonderful symbolically, but did little real good.

Actually this poor widow's story inspired many Christians to become extravagant givers / philantrophists. Her story is often preached in churches to inspire Christians to give out of passion and love.

That's only counting the material repercussions of that story. There's also supernatural repercussions too.

Is that little real good?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have a friend who longs to solve problems through charitable work. Like Bill and Melinda’s foundation. That’s his heart’s desire. But he doesn’t have the capital yet.

Fortunately, you can also make a considerable impact to this world in a positive way without spending a dime, even if you are broke.

Not all road to big help is made of money. Some roads are just roads. Stop putting too much value and faith on money and you might find that road. Paper roads are fickle. Real roads lasts forever.

Don't build a house on sand. If floods come, the floods will take the house with it and it is gone.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Didn't you said earlier that the widow's mite did little real good? :sigh:

Actually this poor widow's story inspired many Christians to become extravagant givers / philantrophists. Her story is often preached in churches to inspire Christians to give out of passion and love.

That's only counting the material repercussions of that story. There's also supernatural repercussions too.

Is that little real good?

I meant material good, as in "warmed and fed".

I don't think the story of the widow's mites should be used as a pattern for giving. Today the same 'widow' would be going to the church for financial aid, which would be provided by the substantial contributions of others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fortunately, you can also make a considerable impact to this world in a positive way without spending a dime, even if you are broke.

Not all road to big help is made of money. Some roads are just roads. Stop putting too much value and faith on money and you might find that road. Paper roads are fickle. Real roads lasts forever.

Don't build a house on sand. If floods come, the floods will take the house with it and it is gone.

You need to expand your understanding of money.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

My response wasn’t the sole avenue of aiding others but the one God laid on our hearts.

Stop putting too much value and faith on money and you might find that road. Paper roads are fickle. Real roads lasts forever.

You are allowing your personal experiences to blind you to the reality of God’s ability to utilize methods you find bothersome. While that is true for you it isn’t the case for Him or those He instructs.

To assume every believer should mirror your mindset is unbiblical. Just because money made you stumble doesn’t mean others will do the same. We don’t have identical struggles.

~Bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

The dearth of financial knowledge in Christian circles is pitiful. We’re expected to be wise stewards and that includes developing money management skills. I see discussions on adjusting to the unexpected but little on planning and preparation. Many are living in the moment instead of readying themselves for the moments to come.

If memory serves you’re in real estate. My stepmother did the same while working full-time and funding a church. That’s on my roadmap too. I’m considering holiday lets and multi-family units.

~Bella

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The dearth of financial knowledge in Christian circles is pitiful. We’re expected to be wise stewards and that includes developing money management skills. I see discussions on adjusting to the unexpected but little on planning and preparation. Many are living in the moment instead of readying themselves for the moments to come.

If memory serves you’re in real estate. My stepmother did the same while working full-time and funding a church. That’s on my roadmap too. I’m considering holiday lets and multi-family units.

~Bella

Good points. I was referring to the several qualities of money as,

A means of trade
A store of value
An expression of labor
An accounting mechanism.

Last edited:
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I meant material good, as in "warmed and fed".

Inspiration from the poor widow story made many warm and fed.

Today the same 'widow' would be going to the church for financial aid

Helping the poor glorifies the Lord which is a good thing.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I did and here's what I learned:

- The land you make money from is stolen from the Native Americans.

- The slave labor of the 16th and 19th century contributed much to the global economy.

- And the wealth before that from conquered lands through violence and bloodshed and also through slavery.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You are allowing your personal experiences to blind you to the reality of God’s ability to utilize methods you find bothersome. While that is true for you it isn’t the case for Him or those He instructs.

There is only one way - John 14:12.

And the Lord made huge involvement of supernatural providence and very little involvement with money.

I do ask for huge things and the Lord never came short. Always comes through for me.

I never ask for money though. I ask the Lord for direct results without involvement of money.

I mostly ask the Lord for things that will make everyone around the world realize the truth about the world (John 7:7). An impossible task if you're counting on money and if you need to affect the whole world. But quite possible if the Lord agrees with you. And my requests are quite specific and methodical. And the Lord always comes through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I did and here's what I learned:

The slave labor of the 16th and 19th century contributed much to the global economy.

Slavery reduced the need for capital thus depressing the potential growth of the money supply. So slavery actually bolsters your position against money. Taking lands by force eliminates the need to buy it, thus reducing again the need for capital.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
And the Lord made huge involvement of supernatural providence and very little involvement with money.

Jesus was God incarnate and he accepted donations.

I mostly ask the Lord for things that will make everyone around the world realize the truth about the world (John 7:7). An impossible task if you're counting on money and if you need to affect the whole world. But quite possible if the Lord agrees with you. And my requests are quite specific and methodical. And the Lord always comes through.

God endows us with gifts and talents. What matters most is our obedience. As the psalmist said, "Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain." He determines the reward. Not man.

~Bella

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is only one way - John 14:12.

I do ask for huge things and the Lord never came short. Always comes through for me.

I never ask for money though. I ask the Lord for direct results without involvement of money.

God has seen fit to make me work for what I get. That's ok because I love working, so it's really a blessing. :bow:

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0