Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
My point doesn't fall short. I pointed out that it was a reason for oversight of all politicians.

Why the bullying on this point? Am I not allowed an opinion that I want oversight on politicians? I don't get it.

I'm beginning to get it. What if our friend is, in reality, one of those Russian citizens hired to pretend to be an American to disrupt American social media??

His passive/aggressive attempts here to defend Congressional graft and corruption would indicate an interest other than American.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,651.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm beginning to get it. What if our friend is, in reality, one of those Russian citizens hired to pretend to be an American to disrupt American social media??

His passive/aggressive attempts here to defend Congressional graft and corruption would indicate an interest other than American.

Or some interest in Congressional and Government graft.

• Winner
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Transparency has a way of keeping people honest and what @variant said.

To be fair to Hammster (who didn't actually make anything like an actual claim, that's not his style), but Hammster is likely correct: tax forms will not show the individual investments.

BUT SEC filings might. It is not uncommon for top C-suite executives list their own sales of the company they work for (sometimes called "insider transactions"). So it would require an additional set of forms to be made publically available. Not so much the tax forms.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
My point doesn't fall short. I pointed out that it was a reason for oversight of all politicians.

Why the bullying on this point? Am I not allowed an opinion that I want oversight on politicians? I don't get it.
Bullying? ^_^

I believe you started out quoting me. I didn’t know you were looking for an echo chamber.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
For what it is worth, whether you see a 'good argument' or not isn't that important. If the masses see a good argument, that is important.
Yeah, the masses are alway right.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Why stop at tax returns then?

Agreed. SEC filings might be important as well.

I think the key is that this starts a conversation. It starts an ideal. A plan, if you will, to ensure that ethics are actually adhered to in our government.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. SEC filings might be important as well.

I think the key is that this starts a conversation. It starts an ideal. A plan, if you will, to ensure that ethics are actually adhered to in our government.

Indeed. Graft and corruption is widely accepted as real within Congress. To insure that citizens are comfortable with the idea that Congress is trying make a better country for us instead of making more money for themselves by selling the favors of the nation to the highest bidder, controls need to be put in place.

• Winner
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟603,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally if someone is against something, like reducing drug prices or regulating a certain industry, I'd like to know if they would stand to lose money or incur costs. If they are for something, like allowing a harmful chemical, I'd like to know if they have investments in the company. It's bad enough some make decisions against the interest or desire of the majority of their constituents because of campaign donations.

Upvote 0